PDA

View Full Version : Trouble starting after refuel

repda503
February 27th, 2015, 15:47
The first time after I refuel, my car has trouble starting. After about 10-15 seconds, it will finally start with some help from the gas pedal. I dont have any trouble starting the car afterwards, only when I refuel. I tried refilling my gas tank half way instead of fully to see if it would continue and it still has the same problem. I also notice that when I pull the fuel pump, the hose leaks gas all over my rear quarter panel for a second as if the hose never got closed off. No CEL lights are on either but I have yet to scan it.

Fuel cap? Fuel filter? Purge valve? N80?

hahnmgh63
February 27th, 2015, 16:00
purge valve. See if the scan picks up anything.
P.S. what nene said below about the fuel filter if it's been a while. "Chung" had issues with a dirty filter last year.

nene
February 27th, 2015, 16:00
That is very interesting since how would the car know you refueled? Wonder if it is simply coincidence...
If you refuel even with the car at half tank the issue occurs? Or only when you refuel when gas is below quarter tank for example?

I would check fuel filter and purge valve, in that order.

SteveKen
February 27th, 2015, 19:06
Instead of refueling, just remove the gas cap for a few minutes then reinstall to see if the same condition happens.

repda503
February 27th, 2015, 20:33
Instead of refueling, just remove the gas cap for a few minutes then reinstall to see if the same condition happens.

I tried this and did not see any recurrence of the restart problem. I suspect it to be my fuel filter since it has been a while since I have replaced it. I will let you guys know if replacing it fixes the issue. Thanks for the feedback.