PDA

View Full Version : Feedback from Level 10/517/Tozo Tranny Customers?

Fonzie Audi
February 25th, 2015, 21:38
Hoping to get some feedback from some of the members who are running the Bulletproof Tranny package from Level 10 in NJ.

I've also seen from searching that 517 and Tozo are other options. 517 quoting around $3800 including TC, Level 10 around $5k including TC.

Trans in car is running fine right now, but looking to beef up for future security as well as prep for possible turbo upgrades.

lswing
February 26th, 2015, 00:30
I toasted/glazed the clutch's (I think, not 100% sure what happened, never any material in my fluid which was odd) in my first Tozo trans I believe, too much hard 0-80 redline shifting. The only symptom was slipping/shifting on it's own from 3rd to 4th under WOT in Tip. It's like the clutch's couldn't hold the all the torque as it would happen about 4.5k, peak torque. About 100-150 WOT runs, mostly using Tip, and reflecting back I should have been in Sport as the shift seems faster therefore reducing clutch wear. I'm at about 515hp/550tq, so decent power over stock.

There is one other possible explanation for my failure. The temp sensor in the trans started throwing a code, it was bad, about the time the trans failed. The temp sensor regulates the torque converter, and if the signals are wrong from the temp sensor you could have issues with the tc not locking up correctly. I replaced that, and the problem of slipping remained, but the damage was already done, if that's the case. Never a CEL for the sensor, I just found it scanning.

It was 8 months old when the issue started, and Tozo was kind enough to warranty it for me without hassle at it came with a 1 year, along with going over any troubleshooting, and I helped with some $ as I fully believe it was partly my fault as the driver. I've been easier on this one and it's been fine. $3,500 for a trans I think, many of the parts are upgraded. PM me if you want his email.

After speaking with Tozo, who told me this trans would never be bulletproof, and reading and looking at others rebuilding the trans, I would agree. The clutch's that make up the clutch packs are so damn small, not much bigger around than your hand, no wonder they don't handle 500+...you've also got the input shaft and other assorted items to worry about breaking.

I've also looked at the IPT kit for $6k. Interesting what they talk about as far as strength, maybe they back it up with a longer warranty.

So much of it comes down to the driver, and torque I think. I'm sure others have been fine with company X, while others have broke company X's trans. Anyhow, I know I got honest service and a stand up 1 year warranty.

Fonzie Audi
February 26th, 2015, 00:38
Thanks for the feedback.

Both 517 and Level 10 were professional and helpful via phone. Both quoting 3-4 day turn arounds, with 517 coming up cheaper on cost. I'm hoping to have a talk with Tozo (Pm'd him) soon to see if he has time to do the job and discuss details. Right now though it looks like 517 may be more trusted on the forums here over Level 10.

Fastguy
February 26th, 2015, 01:37
I purchased an updated torque converter and valve body from Sam at 517trans for my 2.7. I can't really vouch for his workmanship other than I'm still going after about a year. I can tell you, however, if you send him your cores don't expect him to return your deposit. I literally tried for over 9 months to get him to return my measly $300 deposit. I even tricked him in to answering the phone by calling with different numbers. Each time he said, "oh sure, I'll send it back" only to COMPLETELY blow it off. Seems odd he would tarnish his reputation for $300, especially in these small audi communities. Again, his stuff might be ok, BUT DO NOT BE SURPRISED If he takes your money and refuses to give it back.

lswing
February 26th, 2015, 03:07
Bummer to hear of service like that. I got my $1,000 core deposit back within a few days from Tozo.

DHall1
February 26th, 2015, 03:58
+556
Tozo is +1 in service. Does what he says, helps the Audi community and stands behind his work.

Fonzie Audi
February 26th, 2015, 13:46
Level 10 is quoting a full year warranty, while 517 I believe is quoting 3 months.

The car is currently in the dealership for some CV Boot and suspension work. They are going to have the car on a lift for 1-2 weeks, so it looks like now would be the right time.

lswing
February 26th, 2015, 15:04
Fonz, use "site:rs6.com 517 trans" in Google. Many good reviews for 517 and Tozo. Many bad for Level 10 and IPT. I'd still want a 6 month warranty, takes a month to break it in. Tozo said 500 miles, but you could go drive 500 freeway miles without much shifting. I also worry I didn't break my first one in well enough. Lots of city driving with no WOT to bed in clutches seems good.

Fonzie Audi
February 26th, 2015, 23:08
Fonz, use "site:rs6.com 517 trans" in Google. Many good reviews for 517 and Tozo. Many bad for Level 10 and IPT. I'd still want a 6 month warranty, takes a month to break it in. Tozo said 500 miles, but you could go drive 500 freeway miles without much shifting. I also worry I didn't break my first one in well enough. Lots of city driving with no WOT to bed in clutches seems good.

Thank you.

Noob question I'm sure - but can I run the MTM TCU tune along with my existing APR ECU?

lswing
February 26th, 2015, 23:18
Thank you.

Noob question I'm sure - but can I run the MTM TCU tune along with my existing APR ECU?

For sure, hope the process goes well. As far as I know the TCU (stock, MTM, Viper) is completely separate from the ECU tune, meaning you can run any combo. I run Revo ECU, MTM TCU. I'm sure someone on here has the APR/MTM combo and can confirm, but never heard of any conflict with any tunes in the last 4 years...

papadoc
March 1st, 2015, 21:02
can I run the MTM TCU tune along with my existing APR ECU?

There is no need to do that. The APR mod includes a remap of the TCU to higher RPM shift points, which is about all you will likely get from the MTM tune. If you have any questions, call the guys at APR. You might also check with them while at it to be sure you have the latest version of their software. Our AZ friend can attest to its worth.

lswing
March 1st, 2015, 21:32
There is no need to do that. The APR mod includes a remap of the TCU to higher RPM shift points, which is about all you will likely get from the MTM tune. If you have any questions, call the guys at APR. You might also check with them while at it to be sure you have the latest version of their software. Our AZ friend can attest to its worth.

Good point, assuming all APR ECU tunes also have a TCU tune, package deal. Maybe Fonz can confirm with APR?

Fonzie Audi
March 1st, 2015, 21:48

A couple great points here.. allow me to clarify:

- I called APR about this topic and spoke to Keith. He had zero information to offer regarding the APR tune and it's ability to work with the MTM TCU. He actually quoted that the APR tune was ONLY effecting the ECU and had nothing to do with the TCU. Only after I mentioned the raised shift points referenced on their website did he say "well that's just a result of the ECU, still doesn't effect TCU which is totally different".

- Based on reviews here I've come to gather the MTM TCU is more than just shift points, including "crisper, faster shifts".. hence why I wanted to stack the two. Hoping that's accurate.

- I have a funny feeling I do not have any updated software from APR.. the car hasn't been flashed since 2008. Any more info on this update would be appreciated.

fbatwork
March 2nd, 2015, 00:03
Same problem for me - no problem with the transmission from Sam at 517 - never gave me back my core deposit... I kept giving the benefit of the doubt, too many calls and gave him the benefit of the doubt. By the time I decided that I was "taking" it, so to speak it was too big of a hassle when dealing with Visa... The really crappy thing is I paid a fair amount for shipping as it was international... good quality on the work side but I wish that I had not even sent it back as that just jacked the price...

I purchased an updated torque converter and valve body from Sam at 517trans for my 2.7. I can't really vouch for his workmanship other than I'm still going after about a year. I can tell you, however, if you send him your cores don't expect him to return your deposit. I literally tried for over 9 months to get him to return my measly $300 deposit. I even tricked him in to answering the phone by calling with different numbers. Each time he said, "oh sure, I'll send it back" only to COMPLETELY blow it off. Seems odd he would tarnish his reputation for $300, especially in these small audi communities. Again, his stuff might be ok, BUT DO NOT BE SURPRISED If he takes your money and refuses to give it back.

DHall1
March 2nd, 2015, 00:08
Mtm tcu works well w apr, viper or eurocharge tunes.

Fonzie Audi
March 2nd, 2015, 00:09
Mtm tcu works well w apr, viper or eurocharge tunes.

Thank you sir.

Fastguy
March 2nd, 2015, 01:28
Level 10 is quoting a full year warranty, while 517 I believe is quoting 3 months.

The car is currently in the dealership for some CV Boot and suspension work. They are going to have the car on a lift for 1-2 weeks, so it looks like now would be the right time.

If both fbatwork and myself had SAM at 517 completely ignore our pleas for the return of our core deposit, I can only imagine what it would be like to get warranty work out of him.