PDA

View Full Version : Will this work on the RS6?

RSoverAll
February 24th, 2015, 01:24
Searched on Audizine a bit and found this DIY, curious if anyone has done this the same way on an RS6... Also I'd like to know what axle boots you guys prefer? I am leaning towards the Meyle brand currently...

Here's the link to the replacement... http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/444974-DIY-front-CV-axle-replacement

Bigglezworth
February 24th, 2015, 03:09
Searched on Audizine a bit and found this DIY, curious if anyone has done this the same way on an RS6... Also I'd like to know what axle boots you guys prefer? I am leaning towards the Meyle brand currently...

Here's the link to the replacement... http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/444974-DIY-front-CV-axle-replacement
I've swapped the entire axle, and also replaced the outer joints. You need to pop the control arms on the top though to get the axle out from my experience. Straight forward to do the swap. A bit more involved if you're rebuilding the outer joints.

RSoverAll
February 24th, 2015, 03:31
Do you prefer to remove the pinch bolt ? or remove the upper control arm bolts ? Any preference on boot kit ?

4everRS
February 24th, 2015, 03:37
Raxles has been really great in my experience.

kruat
February 24th, 2015, 03:37
Remove the upper pinch bolt and the undo the tierod from the steering knuckle. This will allow you more room to get the axle out of the bearing assembly.

What ever you choose, complete axle over boot, just make sure you replace the axle bolt. There stretch bolts that are supposed to only be used once.

4everRS
February 24th, 2015, 03:39
Do you prefer to remove the pinch bolt ? or remove the upper control arm bolts ? Any preference on boot kit ?
I would highly recommend getting the whole axle. Replacing just the boot is terrible.

kruat
February 24th, 2015, 03:41
I would highly recommend getting the whole axle. Replacing just the boot is terrible.

I second this, I absolutely hate dealing with axle grease.

Bigglezworth
February 24th, 2015, 06:40
You can replace just the outer joints. You can also replace just the boot, but you're still doing all the work to clean the joint and reapply grease, so you might as well do the whole joint. Besides, it's $25 for just a boot at the parts shops in my neck of the woods and it's the same price for a replacement joint c/w boot and grease...

RSoverAll
February 24th, 2015, 13:38
I have the new Raxles for the fronts as the outer boots are wide open exposing the joint to the elements. The rear both inner and outer boots are leaking, not badly but I see the grease at the surrounding diff area and at the hub.

At the cost of the Raxles I am glad the rears are not completely open and will just suffice with a joint or boot kit.

RSoverAll
February 24th, 2015, 13:48
I mainly posted this to see if anyone had done that exact procedure of pulling the axle the same way as outlined in the Audizine post.

I would assume it is possible but I don't know since I haven't even pulled the wheels off this car yet.

RSoverAll
February 24th, 2015, 13:50
You can replace just the outer joints. You can also replace just the boot, but you're still doing all the work to clean the joint and reapply grease, so you might as well do the whole joint. Besides, it's $25 for just a boot at the parts shops in my neck of the woods and it's the same price for a replacement joint c/w boot and grease...

I'd like to find a rear OE joint kit for near $25...

Bigglezworth
February 24th, 2015, 15:11
I'd like to find a rear OE joint kit for near $25...OE equivalent - $25. OE 2.5x that - $70'ish. I elect to overhaul outer front CV joints every 5 years or 50K and ALL of the OE equivalent units I've used in the past 30 years easily last that long. No they don't last 150K, but I can easily swap out a pair of units over a 10 year span for less than the price of swapping out 1 OEM unit. For me it's simple math as my labour is nothing other than an hour here and there with some music and a couple of cold ones afterwards when things are done. :)

RSoverAll
February 24th, 2015, 15:24
At that price I'm guessing you have a local hook up. I cannot find anything close to that for the rears in a joint kit.