PDA

View Full Version : Warped Rotors anyone?

john hulbrock
January 28th, 2004, 01:23
About a week ago I noticed a "pulsating" from the brakes when braking lightly.The dealer took the tires off and found road salt, stones, etc in the ventilated areas of the rotors. They were cleaned out but the pulsing remains; in fact it is worse and the steering wheel actually "shimmies" back and forth. The dealer today said the rotors and pads need to be replaced! I only have 5600 miles on the car!
Anyone have a similiar experience?

nene
January 28th, 2004, 01:52
That is just good.
My beast just hit 9143 miles, and the brakes seem fine still. I hear the occasional squeal in slow red light stops, but nothing like you speak of.

What sort of daily driving do you do? Is it mostly highway, or all city? Just wondering how one set of brakes will hold on longer then others.

StealthSix
January 28th, 2004, 06:13
John,
I have the same problem. Bauer also.
check out the thread "first real problem"
read down. the story isn't over yet.
Good luck
terry
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2999

Bauer
January 28th, 2004, 16:11
John-

Mine turned out to be pads.....just about destroyed and worn at different levels creating the feel of warped rotors. Good luck...hopefully it gets sorted quickly:cheers:

Oh about 10K on the clock

Alan
January 28th, 2004, 17:02
I've had a slight pulsing on light application of the brakes on the highway. This began after about 2000 miles, with the standard summer wheels and tires. The braking pulsation became "worse" after I installed the winter wheels and tires from Tire Rack, then went completely away when I installed the Audi OEM winter wheels and tires. Wondering what the return to the summer wheels and tires will bring with the pulsing. Seems like an endemic issue with RS6's.

Benman
January 28th, 2004, 20:03
John,

Sorry to hear your brake misfortunes. I wrote on the thread "first real problem" that i had issue's with the pads, but once replaced everything has been fine. I'm also @10,000 miles. Hope all goes well.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Aronis
January 30th, 2004, 01:21
I'd like to find a source for buying brake pads for hte RS6...rather than a dealer, they are usually reluctant to mail parts to you.....Tire Rack does not stock anything.

My first trip to the dealer for 5000 mile check is going to be expensive. The service is free but the spare parts I am ordering is going to be pricey.

Brake Pads
Serpentine Belt
Pully's
etc....

Mike

Bauer
January 30th, 2004, 16:23
Aronis-

I might be able to help.....you have a PM:cheers:

JAXRS6
January 30th, 2004, 18:09
Originally posted by Aronis
the spare parts I am ordering is going to be pricey.

Brake Pads
Serpentine Belt
Pully's
etc....

I can understand ordering brake pads, since they are bound to wear out at some point, but why pay for them since they are covered under warranty in US?

Also, why pay for a serpentine belt & pulleys? I'm the guy who had problems with those parts, but I'm the ONLY guy (so far), and my case may be an aberration -- so you may be ordering parts you will never need. The main engine crank pulley alone, which of course was covered under warranty for me, is a $700 part.

Aronis
January 30th, 2004, 18:38
I was mainly just kidding about getting the parts!

Brake Pads, however, is a Saturday morning job, as opposed to a 4 hour each way drive to the dealer, etc.....

Same for Oil Changes,

But more people are talking about Rotor problems which is a bigger job.

The Serpentine belt sounds like a fluke! Perhaps a stone got up via the fender vents who knows! I hope noone else has this happen!

Mike