PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'm coming out :).....6 speed conversion

hahnmgh63
February 14th, 2015, 18:42
Not what you think...I've now made my final payment to Steve for the 6spd conversion and I'm getting on that train. I've got a TDI 01E and most of the rest of the parts coming. I still need to get a clutch, Anti-lock Brake module, and AMD software. I probably will either do it late Spring or I'll skip all the way to Fall so I can use the car in the Summer.
Overall I've been pretty happy with the 517 trans compared to OEM but I still feel the slipping you get with an older Autobox. If there was a way to do the newer 6HP box I would definitely do that but I'm no software engineer. The 6HP is such a better shifting gearbox, weights less than the 5HP, and has versions capable of more Tq, than our 5HP version but oh well. I drive a 6sp commuter most days to work so loosing the Autobox won't be a loss. I almost never have real stop & go traffic. The Rear wheel HP increase with the 100lb loss will be favorable. I had a ride in AvusRS6's car a while back and I know he puts a lot of miles on his car so I figured if he was real happy then I would be too.

TMAC
February 14th, 2015, 18:48
Awesome! I am on the fence if I should start shopping for a manual swap right from the start since I am a new owner. This way I just get it over with.

nene
February 14th, 2015, 19:25
That is great news @hahnmgh63. Keep us posted on your progress.

NSU RS6
February 14th, 2015, 19:25
Nice! If this doesn't get me to Feierabend, nothing will!

SteveKen
February 14th, 2015, 20:12
FYI, the AMD tune can use your stock ABS controller. Talk to them about a clutch too.

hahnmgh63
February 14th, 2015, 20:16
That's great news Steve. I thought I had re-read the conversion threads but I must have missed that one. Now just the Clutch and tune but I've got time as I'm in no hurry, that includes you shipping Steve, I'm in no hurry.

P1054
February 15th, 2015, 01:16
As Steve said above, you can retain the stock ABS controller with AMD's tune, and they have a line of clutches that work as well.

If you're talking with Jason, tell him my cluster still has the issue of showing P R N D 4 3 2 like it's an automatic lol. He knows of the issue but I haven't been able to get in contact with him in the past month or so. Other than that I love the tune! Apparently my car is the only one he's had the console coding issue with, go figure..

v8a6
February 15th, 2015, 08:22
Good to hear! Looking forward to seeing the project progress

ttboost
February 15th, 2015, 13:06
As Steve said above, you can retain the stock ABS controller with AMD's tune, and they have a line of clutches that work as well.

If you're talking with Jason, tell him my cluster still has the issue of showing P R N D 4 3 2 like it's an automatic lol. He knows of the issue but I haven't been able to get in contact with him in the past month or so. Other than that I love the tune! Apparently my car is the only one he's had the console coding issue with, go figure..

Communication is the typical AMD complaint. All of those cluster issues should be fixed when you recode the cluster to a manual. It gets rid of the "foot on brake" warning and replaces it with "push clutch" warning. Don't remember as it's been awhile, but it can be done with Vagcom.

MaxRS6
February 15th, 2015, 14:05
Great guns..there goes another one.

Good luck and have fun with it!

ttboost
February 15th, 2015, 14:46
I'm thinking it will be for sale by November?:lovl:

P1054
February 16th, 2015, 00:06
@ttboost yeah Jason was looking into the recoding but thought he'd switched everything over. Maybe I'll just dig into it and try fixing the issue myself. And yes, they're communication is more like a lack thereof, but they do great work. And for the record, mine won't be up for sale anytime soon, I'm loving the 6-speed!

bethridg
February 17th, 2015, 17:45
Add me to the 6-speed swap list too. A few months ago I noticed slight slipping/disengaging between 1st & 2nd when cold. Progressively got worse. Showing just over 100k miles now. SteveKen's adapter kit arrived last week but I'm busy finishing up another project to make room in the garage for the full engine-out treatment. Standard list of items to address while it's out (check/rebuild turbos, cam tensioners, bufkin, SAI, etc). Probably do another TB/water pump since I'm creeping up on the next interval. :incar:

TMAC
February 17th, 2015, 20:56
Add me to the 6-speed swap list too. A few months ago I noticed slight slipping/disengaging between 1st & 2nd when cold. Progressively got worse. Showing just over 100k miles now. SteveKen's adapter kit arrived last week but I'm busy finishing up another project to make room in the garage for the full engine-out treatment. Standard list of items to address while it's out (check/rebuild turbos, cam tensioners, bufkin, SAI, etc). Probably do another TB/water pump since I'm creeping up on the next interval. :incar:
Fun times

vitalian
February 20th, 2015, 18:30
Holy cow! We'll have to have a "beers-n-gears" GTG to check it out.

Turbowned
February 21st, 2015, 21:54
That really will be a special RS6 when you're done; white and 6MT!

hahnmgh63
February 21st, 2015, 22:48
Thanks everyone for the support. Just got the package from SteveKen yesterday, a work of art, the flywheel and adapter plate. Now waiting for the tranny, linkage, etc.... Still thinking late spring at the earliest to start. Don't expect to need much extra as I had it all out a few years ago and replaced everything and probably haven't done but 10K since then. I'll do the rear Main seal and that'll probably be it. Just need the AMD tune and pick a clutch.
Ok, I'm not a JHM rotor fan but what about their 01E linkage? Anyone use it? Everyone go with a metal slave cylinder?

ttboost
February 23rd, 2015, 20:56
I used all factory stuff. But if I kept the car, I would've upgraded the shifter. Only a matter of time before you break it, or it keeps popping off and won't stay on..

nubcake
February 23rd, 2015, 21:32
Running SteveKen's flywheel with the Spec 3+ clutch. New OEM slave cylinder (plastic one) - it should work fine with spec clutch, pedal is actually very soft. Also, bought a rebuild kit for the shifter "ball" part (8D0798151), new factory "shifter box" (4B0711055D). Boot+shift knob from the RS4 B7 - matches the perforated leather steering wheel nicely.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the result. :)

TMAC
February 23rd, 2015, 21:56
Running SteveKen's flywheel with the Spec 3+ clutch. New OEM slave cylinder (plastic one) - it should work fine with spec clutch, pedal is actually very soft. Also, bought a rebuild kit for the shifter "ball" part (8D0798151), new factory "shifter box" (4B0711055D). Boot+shift knob from the RS4 B7 - matches the perforated leather steering wheel nicely.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the result. :)
Good info :thumb:

hahnmgh63
February 23rd, 2015, 23:52
There you go nubcake, that was going to be my next question, shifters or shift knobs? Pics? OEM looks sounds good to me.

Turbowned
February 24th, 2015, 01:14
I'd go with the RS4 knob too if it were me. The C5 A6 knob is boring and the B8 S4 knob is a little too new.