PDA

View Full Version : Open dumps!!!!

giles.dec
February 12th, 2015, 17:34
So I took the exhaust off last night at my friends shop after the converter and before the resonators. Wow did it sound nice! Open dumps might be the route I go taking off the resonators keeping both pieces to easily convert back to stock. Replacing with new 63mm piping and open dumps. Anyone done this? Or can recommend good ones? My friends pretty good at wiring so I may use the extra button next to the esp one and put the switch there. I'll pull another esp switch off an A6 and make it look like a stock option.

Thoughts!?

Dmb408
February 12th, 2015, 18:18
Haydn has done this on similar cars and has done exhausts on RS6's; I was actually talking about this with him already. Reach out to him through HT Motorsports.

TMAC
February 12th, 2015, 18:46
Interesting

ben916
February 12th, 2015, 20:32
Here ya go! (http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23310-DMH-electric-exhaust-cut-outs-dump-valves?p=222388&viewfull=1#post222388)

makaveli42
February 12th, 2015, 21:46
I like the sound of that as well. too loud inside the cabin. I went with fully straight piped to the tips. No mufflers, cats, or resonators. Sounds loud and mean. People try making fun and saying I sound like a dyno truck (because of the constant turbo whistling) or like a turbo diesel lol. But inside the cab it's nice and quiet.

RSoverAll
February 12th, 2015, 22:53
I like the sound of that as well. too loud inside the cabin. I went with fully straight piped to the tips. No mufflers, cats, or resonators. Sounds loud and mean. People try making fun and saying I sound like a dyno truck (because of the constant turbo whistling) or like a turbo diesel lol. But inside the cab it's nice and quiet.

The cab in these things are very quiet even compared to many brand new cars.

TMAC
February 16th, 2015, 00:34
I would really like to hear your car. Do you have any videos?

P1054
February 16th, 2015, 00:53
I went with straight pipes from the cats on back, and gutted the precats but left the main ones intact for now. I personally love the sound, there's surprisingly little drone throughout the rpm range. It's definitely a little louder inside the car, no getting around that, but I have nothing against it. And it's a LOT meaner sounding from outside.

giles.dec
February 17th, 2015, 19:58
I am going with DMH performance. The reviews are great, warranty unbeatable and I am excited to install in March. I am picking them up this weekend. Website if anyone is interested: http://www.dmhperformance.com/

Has anyone taken off their resonators and left the mufflers? Not sure what my car will sound like with the dumps closed and no resonators. Should be interesting... :) Pictures to follow.

TMAC
February 17th, 2015, 20:37
I am going with DMH performance. The reviews are great, warranty unbeatable and I am excited to install in March. I am picking them up this weekend. Website if anyone is interested: http://www.dmhperformance.com/

Has anyone taken off their resonators and left the mufflers? Not sure what my car will sound like with the dumps closed and no resonators. Should be interesting... :) Pictures to follow.
:pop:Can't wait to see more on this!

Bigglezworth
February 17th, 2015, 23:45
Everyone needs to remember that aside from noise, the other main reason for mufflers and resonators is to eliminate back firing which you will get a host of without either when you decelerate or let your foot off the gas... Car sounds like a jalopy when it backfires.

makaveli42
February 18th, 2015, 01:13
I would really like to hear your car. Do you have any videos?Yes a short one tho..just start up and idel as of now. If I can figure how to post from an iPhone video I will lolAlso, mine only backfires if it's in neutral and I rev the crap out of it

makaveli42
February 18th, 2015, 01:16
http://instagram.com/p/n084h-FCHz/

giles.dec
March 1st, 2015, 02:57
16086Bought the dumps today. Mid March is when I will most likely install. Dave the owner of DMH was a super nice guy, stood behind his product, and possibly could of been the person to invent the open dump system...? (Not sure if true, but the quality is un-real) Some of the Volkswagen mechanics I know who work on the CC were going wild over the quality. I will follow up later with install pics and a video...

If you're curious how quickly the dumps open check this video out of them installed on a SRT 6.1 (I KNOW... not an Audi, but one is on the way!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSAvuc67dY0

TMAC
March 5th, 2015, 02:24
16086Bought the dumps today. Mid March is when I will most likely install. Dave the owner of DMH was a super nice guy, stood behind his product, and possibly could of been the person to invent the open dump system...? (Not sure if true, but the quality is un-real) Some of the Volkswagen mechanics I know who work on the CC were going wild over the quality. I will follow up later with install pics and a video...

If you're curious how quickly the dumps open check this video out of them installed on a SRT 6.1 (I KNOW... not an Audi, but one is on the way!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSAvuc67dY0

Nice, looking forward to seeing this done.

TMAC
March 5th, 2015, 02:25
http://instagram.com/p/n084h-FCHz/

Thanks for posting the video.

giles.dec
March 20th, 2015, 13:12
16144161451614616147 Last night around midnight we finished the wiring and let the beast breathe (with the touch of a button). I will upload a video at some point and take a picture of the dump switch next to the esp button in the available empty square. Still has a stock look in the interior. The sound is unreal! Inside and out. Even with the dumps closed and the resonators deleted, it still has a similar stock sound, so when the dumps open so does your smile.... Let me know what you think. Had to put the turn downs because of the fuel tank, but they look legit underneath.

marklar182
March 20th, 2015, 17:21
Love it!!!!

Not sure what your switch looks like, but you should do a Funk or Mystery Switch!

Funk- 4B0 035 775 5PR
Mystery- 4B0 035 775 A 5PR

lswing
March 20th, 2015, 17:36
Very nice, looks clean. I might have to go this route soon. I really like the stock SE exhaust, but would be great to open it up and hear the engine scream.:addict:

What were your total costs around?

giles.dec
March 20th, 2015, 17:45
Those switches are sweet! I had to drill a hole in plastic and mount the switch that came with the kit in the middle. Where do you buy those switches??

giles.dec
March 20th, 2015, 17:46
@Iswing all in I paid around $600. I did the stainless exhaust.

lswing
March 20th, 2015, 18:12
Thanks! I've seen the switches from eBay and parts stores, just search around for funk or blank switch for c5 a6. You will have one or two spots to put one into upper middle of dash by TC.

giles.dec
March 20th, 2015, 20:33
I wonder if the switch would work, being on/off? Where my switch has to open and close by holding the switch down until it opens.

marklar182
March 20th, 2015, 21:06
I wonder if the switch would work, being on/off? Where my switch has to open and close by holding the switch down until it opens.

Edit: Funk is momentary switch (press and hold)

415RS6
March 22nd, 2015, 10:13
Found the funk switch available here: http://advancedautomotion.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/65_70_77/products_id/230

lswing
March 22nd, 2015, 13:49
Video with good sound please!!!! Just in the driveway would be great...

Fastguy
March 22nd, 2015, 16:12
Video with good sound please!!!! Just in the driveway would be great...
^ x2 doing the same thing while I have everything apart but haven't yet decided on the dump valves to go with. Curious how you wired the switch.

giles.dec
March 23rd, 2015, 13:41
So if you press and hold to open the dumps, how do you close?

giles.dec
March 23rd, 2015, 13:42
I will get a video, sound is crazy good. Start up with dump open is my favorite, and the copious backfires that sound like fireworks... Weather is cold in Cincinnati, on the first nice (warm) day ill put the go pro on it.

Kgnast
April 23rd, 2015, 23:37
I have the QTP e-cutouts. Installed literally right in front of the mufflers. I wanted them as far back as possible. I have cutouts in the AllRoad right after the cats..... at stop lights the exhaust comes in the car. This is much better, and less noise in the car, less vibration from the floor boards. I still have the center resonators, but I think I'm going to get rid of them soon.

bakes
April 24th, 2015, 13:18
I have the QTP e-cutouts. Installed literally right in front of the mufflers. I wanted them as far back as possible. I have cutouts in the AllRoad right after the cats..... at stop lights the exhaust comes in the car. This is much better, and less noise in the car, less vibration from the floor boards. I still have the center resonators, but I think I'm going to get rid of them soon.

Do you have a picture? This is the route I want to take so it would be great to be able to provide my exhaust shop some examples of what I want done...

Fastguy
April 25th, 2015, 00:48
yes. video and pic would be fantastic. curious, also, what difference in sound would be with the center resonators gone. I'm removing the center section tomorrow to change the drive shaft for the manual swap.

Fastguy
May 13th, 2015, 03:05
Pulled my exhaust tonight so I can install manual drive shaft. I might have the cut outs welded right where the squeeze clamp is located between the rear muffler and middle resonator. My question is; has anyone installed after the middle resonator but before rear mufflers? I'm wondering how this would sound? Do the center resonators actually muffle the sound quite a but by themselves?

giles.dec
May 13th, 2015, 13:59
Car sounds almost identical with and without resonators....

Fastguy
May 14th, 2015, 00:28
Sorry; but, it'll sound almost the same if I put the cut outs before or after resonators? Still nice and loud to install after resonators and before rear mufflers? I apologize if I'm being repetitive just want to be sure before spending the money.

giles.dec
May 14th, 2015, 13:46
I completely eliminated the entire section of the resonators (just undo the clamps on both ends) and replaced that with stainless pipe, which I installed the cut outs on. With the cut outs closed and the dumps closed, it sounds almost identical to the stock sound. It's the fuel tank that will give you issues (with heat underneath). If you don't want to remove the whole pipe/resonator, just put the dumps before it, but it will be right underneath your seat, be ready for an ass massage haha.

Fastguy
May 14th, 2015, 14:25
I completely eliminated the entire section of the resonators (just undo the clamps on both ends) and replaced that with stainless pipe, which I installed the cut outs on. With the cut outs closed and the dumps closed, it sounds almost identical to the stock sound. It's the fuel tank that will give you issues (with heat underneath). If you don't want to remove the whole pipe/resonator, just put the dumps before it, but it will be right underneath your seat, be ready for an ass massage haha.

I think I'm not explaining fully what I mean. Here's what I'm proposing to do: open/ completely catless up front. Next in line it leave middle resonators, next is cutouts, and finally is stock mufflers. I'm wondering what the exhaust will sound like completely open with just resonators. Easiest installation i can think of. Cut a small section after resonators, add cutouts and put all back together.

giles.dec
May 14th, 2015, 14:56
No clue man... Probably orgasmic