PDA

View Full Version : Clear Corner Headlights

giles.dec
February 10th, 2015, 16:53
What is the best way to make an 03 Rs6 (Lord of the Rings) have clear corners? Has anyone taken the lens off and removed the clear corners?

Thanks!

Bigglezworth
February 10th, 2015, 18:48
Remove the light assembly from car. Remove bulbs. Soak light in HOT tap water (doesn't need to be boiling). Wait enough time until sealant softens enough to permit the lens to be spread apart from the housing. Use putty knife to split the two parts. Do this quickly after pulling from hot water. Amber lens removes quickly after you separate the lens, and you can reseal the unit quickly afterward while the mastic is still soft. IF you don't get this done in time, you can use a hair dryer to heat things up again to make the mastic soft. Other option that I'm sure some have used is to put the light assembly in your oven on low temp - i.e. 150deg and let things get warm enough to soften the sealant. Complete effort same was as that used for hot water solution.

giles.dec
February 10th, 2015, 18:56
Well appreciated information! Was it easier than you thought?

nene
February 10th, 2015, 19:04
I've used a heat gun. I simply leave it on the lower setting, and slowly heat the seam around the whole housing. After about 10-15 minutes the glue is soft enough. I just pry the front and rear apart with a bit of constant force. Not a yanking type of force, just constant force in opposite direction. I believe using the section away from the blinker provides better grip for removal.

Once I removed the amber reflector, I simply did the same in reverse. Heated up the glue left mostly on the rear plastic piece, and once it was soft I inserted the front into place. Apply a bit more heat while pressing them together to make a tight seal. I also purchased some plastic clear sealant to put back on the seam to ensure there was no leaks.

I've done this about 5-6 times already for other folks. Worst part is getting the headlight out of the car without scratching anything.

RS2racer
February 12th, 2015, 13:23
PM'd ya.

I've used a heat gun. I simply leave it on the lower setting, and slowly heat the seam around the whole housing. After about 10-15 minutes the glue is soft enough. I just pry the front and rear apart with a bit of constant force. Not a yanking type of force, just constant force in opposite direction. I believe using the section away from the blinker provides better grip for removal.

Once I removed the amber reflector, I simply did the same in reverse. Heated up the glue left mostly on the rear plastic piece, and once it was soft I inserted the front into place. Apply a bit more heat while pressing them together to make a tight seal. I also purchased some plastic clear sealant to put back on the seam to ensure there was no leaks.

I've done this about 5-6 times already for other folks. Worst part is getting the headlight out of the car without scratching anything.

TMAC
February 12th, 2015, 13:58
Good info, this is something I want to do on both my RS6 and my B7 RS4.