PDA

View Full Version : OK So now need your assistance with the Front lower/rear facing control arms

cruzanrs6
January 6th, 2015, 21:50
First a big Thanks to the hahnmgh63 for responding to my inquiry on R&R the front upper control arms. Bought the kit from Europa and installed it over the holidays - not that bad to do. First side took me a 2 - 3 hours, second side was about 1 hour. So it appears that front lower rear facing bushings are shot. I tried to remove the driver's side to inspect and was unable to remove the bolt. As it is slid all the way out, the head contacts the frame and still needs to travel more to clear the mount. I attached a couple of pics. The bolt is about 6.3 " long. I can't imagine having to lower the sub-frame to get the additional clearance. May be just need to get it up on a hoist and work on it a bit harder.

Drifters
January 6th, 2015, 22:47
I've never changed the lower control arms on my RS6 before but planning on doing the controls arms on the RS6 this spring.

But I've changed the control arms on both my B5 S4 and for me to get that lower control arm bolt out, I had to lower the sub-frame a bit. Thats the only way I figured out how to get that lower control arm bolt out.

If anyone knows of another way, please let us know.

Thanks.

4everRS
January 6th, 2015, 23:59
You have to lower the sub frame.

hahnmgh63
January 7th, 2015, 00:17
What he said. just loosen the Subframe bolts equally on either side (they're pretty long) to lower it enough to get the Control Arm bolts out. You don't need to completely remove the rear subframe bolts, just loosen them a 1/2" or so.

January 7th, 2015, 00:41
+1...no big deal....take them all the way out of you have to, the motor ain't gonna fall out like I thought it would. my advice is loosen both left and right about half way, then take one all the way out of you have to.

mik15
January 7th, 2015, 04:39
yeap, there is no other way to do it but to loosen the sub-frame bolts, no need to take them out, put a jack underneath, loosen the bolts and then gradually lower the jack to the point that allows you to remove the arms bolts.

Turbowned
January 7th, 2015, 18:17
the motor ain't gonna fall out like I thought it would.

Oh. Well, that's a relief :looking:

BradP
January 12th, 2015, 05:09
Even after lowering the sub frame, I had to cut the washer off the bolt on the passenger side. Driver side was fine. ...and I swear I wasn't dropped on the head as a baby.