PDA

View Full Version : cross drilles brake discs

Alex K
December 16th, 2002, 17:34
Hi everybody,

Just joined this forum as I am (unpatiently) awaiting delivery of my RS 6 (supposedly August 2003).

I have a question regarding the RS 6 rotors:

Is there a factory option to upgrade to drilled/slotted rotors for the RS 6?

All my (official) literature and the Audi.de website mention nothing to this regard - yet I remember having seen an article stating cross-drilled rotors as an option.

Cheers!
Alex K

Nordschleife
December 16th, 2002, 18:40
Hi
quattro GmbH does offer a pierced rotor upgrade for the RS6. Its still the same rotor, however, so you might not want it. The design of the isolated 'floating' rotor is flawed. It is impossible for cooling air to enter the rotors from the centre and the pins on which the rotor floats do not conduct the heat away from the rotor.
Combine this with the design of the calliper, which has four comparatively small brake pads, and the automatic transmission, which means you use the brakes constantly and you have a real big problem - the brake pads tend to catch fire and the rotors hotspot and warp. AMG has the same problem with the callipers and quattro GmbH is reported to be working on the brakes.

HTH

R+C
PS I took the bull by the horns and upgraded to Mov'it front and rear on both cars.