PDA

View Full Version : RS6 V10 2009 - transmission knock

Andy_HK
December 31st, 2014, 17:27
My 2009 RS6 has developed a transmission knock under heavy acceleration - feels like its coming from the rear.
The garage has diagnosed it as the main bush or bearing, which seems about right to me.

The problem is, according to Audi, they have to replace the whole drive shaft and not the bearing/bushes, does this seem right?

Any advice willingly received.

Happy New Year
Andy in Hong Kong.

Bigglezworth
December 31st, 2014, 17:59
Is it your transmission bearing, or driveshaft bearing. BIG difference. You can change all three central shaft bearings (end CV bearings and central support bearing) without having to change the entire shaft yes. If it 'vibrates' and is more pronounced under load, it is believed it's one of the bearings on your central drive shaft. If the vibration is within the tranny itself, then certain parts can be replaced with the tranny in situ.

Andy_HK
December 31st, 2014, 18:20
Driveshaft bearing....

Andy_HK
December 31st, 2014, 18:23
I have a couple of photos from the garage, just need to get them on to my computer (on holiday in the US, so don't have access at the mo!!)

Andy_HK
December 31st, 2014, 18:36
photos attached - where there's a will there's a way!!

Bigglezworth
December 31st, 2014, 22:32
Center support bearing is toast indeed. $100 +/- for a replacement. Give these guys a call. http://store.034motorsport.com/products/transmission-drivetrain/driveshafts-center-support-bearings-axles.html

Also, check out this thread where I recently replaced mine. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26781-Drivetrain-vibration?highlight=support+bearing

I'm now waiting until I'm finished replacing the turbos and other incidentals on my second beast and when that's out of the garage, I'm going to pull the one with the driveline vibration back in and repalce the front and rear CV joints on the central shaft also.

mik15
January 1st, 2015, 07:48
Audi will only replace the whole shaft, seems to be quite common on C6 RS6 the problem...are you around 60k miles?

Happy New Year!!!

Andy_HK
January 3rd, 2015, 18:14
Went round to see the car at the garage, and the bearing is indeed toast!!!
The car has done around 70K kilometres - less than 45K miles...
everything else is solid...
Due to supply and demand it is neigh on impossible to find a supplier for the bearing only, so I guess a new drive shaft it is then...

Bigglezworth
January 3rd, 2015, 18:33
Same bearing used in BMW's also..... Can make brackets to create alignment/mounting to Audi chassis. Reason they don't like to sell separate is because so many people repairing the unit get the shafts realigned incorrectly. Mark everything well, and realignment is a piece of cake. $100.00 vs $1,200-1,500.00 is a no brainer for me.

Andy_HK
January 3rd, 2015, 19:28
Thanks for your advice, I'll let you know how it goes!!