PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an exploded view of steering system? Strange knocking :(

sempaipaul
December 22nd, 2014, 03:54
Guys,

My RS has developed a strange knocking when going over bumps or rough roads. It comes from the steering system and my first thought was that its from the tie rods or the bolts that hold the steering rack/pinion to the body of the car (the ones visible on each side of the battery compartment area… however, neither one of my anticipations are true. Got the car off the ground and can hear the knock when I wiggle the wheel from one side to the other - however, can't seem to find where the sound is coming from. All the control arms and such are tight. The knock seems to come from the inside of the steering system.

Looking to get my hands on an exploded view of the steering rack/pinion set up so I can see what could potentially have come loose.

Thanks for help!

Paul

4everRS
December 22nd, 2014, 04:49
Tie rod ends?

Corbett
December 22nd, 2014, 05:22
Control arms maybe. They may be "tight" but have you checked the bushings? If they are cracked thats your issue

4everRS
December 22nd, 2014, 17:25
Control arms maybe. They may be "tight" but have you checked the bushings? If they are cracked thats your issue

Yup. They may feel good and tight when the car is lifted up, but when all the weight is on it they can be loose. If there is any cracking at all, they're shot.

My money is still on the tie rod ends, as you even have the issue when sitting still, moving the wheel.

December 28th, 2014, 22:22
Control arms....throw a grand at it and it will go away....

hahnmgh63
December 28th, 2014, 22:34
Control arms. At slow speed, maybe 10~15mph try going throttle on and off for a few seconds each in a straight line.

mrdave
December 29th, 2014, 21:26
Make sure it's nothing simple like a sway bar bracket before you buy all new control arms. Mine had this issue when I bought it. Turns out some shop stripped out a nut and the front sway bar bracket was shifting just enough to be noisy while turning or going over bumps but not enough to be easily visible upon casual inspection.