PDA

View Full Version : Are ECU's Interchangeable?

topcat_92
December 12th, 2014, 23:15
Guys,

I've been meaning to send my ECU to Eurocharged for some time, and haven't had any planned RS6 downtime to pull it and put it in the mail. I have a line on a ECU out of a totaled RS that is being parted. Can I hop up that ECU and swap it with the one in my car?

Let me know, and thanks for your help.

Cheers.

DHall1
December 12th, 2014, 23:36
Needs to be vin coded to your car. 350 at dealers

Beware of unknown tunes.

topcat_92
December 12th, 2014, 23:55
Thanks. Dealer only, or can guys like Eurocharged do it too? TCU is available too, and will likely go for both. What's a fair price?

DHall1
December 12th, 2014, 23:56
Dealer only

Immobilizer is the issue

Value depends on tune. Good tune...more value

topcat_92
December 13th, 2014, 00:00
No tune, stock.

UrS6
December 13th, 2014, 00:16
Dealer only

Immobilizer is the issue

What happens if it's not coded to the VIN? What in the car makes the ECU know that it's not the right VIN?

Bigglezworth
December 13th, 2014, 00:44
Guys,

I've been meaning to send my ECU to Eurocharged for some time, and haven't had any planned RS6 downtime to pull it and put it in the mail. I have a line on a ECU out of a totaled RS that is being parted. Can I hop up that ECU and swap it with the one in my car?

Let me know, and thanks for your help.

Cheers.ECU's can be swapped on cars, but as noted in above posts, you need to address the immobilizer issue. This can be accomplished with VAGcom. I do note, that in doing so, you need to be highly confident you are performing the steps in the correct manner as you could botch it and make your car a brick. I can forward you more information via PM that a few of the other members are also aware of. With that, you can then decide if you want to undertake this effort. As a heads up, I have done all the most difficult mechanical repairs and mods on the RS6, but have never performed this particular item due to concerns I might botch it.... lol

lswing
December 13th, 2014, 01:45
I thought Euro could send you the flashing tool? Dave, yours still for sale?

lswing
December 13th, 2014, 03:32
Here's the page discussing how they can send you the flash:) http://www.eurocharged.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75

Hope their tune works better...

SteveKen
December 13th, 2014, 05:07
Cloning an ECU is not difficult if you have the right tools or know someone that does. I'm sure that any tuner like euro charged can do it for you if you send them both of your ECUs. You just need to copy your ECUs serial EEPROM to the additional ECU and they become interchangeable.

nistah
December 13th, 2014, 15:15
Cloning an ECU is not difficult if you have the right tools or know someone that does. I'm sure that any tuner like euro charged can do it for you if you send them both of your ECUs. You just need to copy your ECUs serial EEPROM to the additional ECU and they become interchangeable.

How about the TCU, does it need to go through the same process or can TCU's simply be swapped without coding?

lswing
December 13th, 2014, 15:29
How about the TCU, does it need to go through the same process or can TCU's simply be swapped without coding?

You can just swap, done a few times, easy...

topcat_92
December 17th, 2014, 01:16
Dealer only

Immobilizer is the issue

$250 for the ECU (stock, no tune), $300 for the TCU (stock, no tune). Is that fair?

SteveKen
December 17th, 2014, 02:30
$250 for the ECU (stock, no tune), $300 for the TCU (stock, no tune). Is that fair?

Is that what the dealer is wanting for installing these items? Reflash?

I'm pretty sure that if the dealer installs another ECU, then the original one will not work. I think the dealer VAS software assigns a new immobilizer code and they have to re-code the cluster and keys.

DHall1
December 17th, 2014, 05:43
Good deal on ecu

topcat_92
December 19th, 2014, 18:23
Good deal on ecu

Thanks for the feedback. Pulled the trigger on ECU and TCU. E-mailed Eurocharged regarding the VIN reprogram.

topcat_92
December 23rd, 2014, 00:59
ECU and TCU both delivered. For the TCU, is the MTM guy out of Canada Horchaus? For Eurocharged, who's the right dealer to contact? I went to their website, and the listed local dealer for the Seattle area is closed.

Thanks for your help guys.

lswing
December 23rd, 2014, 01:06
Yes on the TCU, you'll need to send it out, few days turnaround, $150 I think, solder in flashed chip. Terry? is the man to talk with at the home shop in Texas it seems. You'll be dialed in soon, have fun! Always interested to see data performance logs if you can.

topcat_92
December 24th, 2014, 03:00
Hey guys,

Is the search function of the site not working? I tried standard and advanced search for ECU or TCU, and it comes up with no matches. I am trying to do a search just to confirming the location of the ECU and TCU. From what I remember, the ECU is under the hood, drivers side, with a metal cover, and the TCU is under the passenger side floor carpet. Right?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas everyone.

lswing
December 24th, 2014, 03:35
Use Google with site:rs6.com such as below...the "site:" search feature is really handy, the built in ones for these forums tend to be weak.

ecu location site:rs6.com

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/12255-RS6-ECU-Removal

Mr. Rictus
December 24th, 2014, 13:06
One option not mentioned is to have an immobilizer defeat done on the ECU. Once this is done, and it's a cheap add-on with a tune, the ECU will work on any other RS6.

This way you won't have to go to a dealer and pay crazy money.

topcat_92
February 12th, 2015, 01:18
Update:
ECU Tune: Bought the Eurocharge programmer with their tune. $599 plus shipping. In transit. Can't wait to fire it up. Didn't need to buy the used ECU after all. Anyone need one?
TCU Tune: Contacted the MTM rep in Canada, Horchaus. They don't swap the chip anymore, but are glad to mail a chip for $175 (Canadian $), and the buyer has to swap the chip out or find someone that will do it. Question: guessing that this takes some skill, has anyone tried it? Anyone know of a shop in the Seattle area or elsewhere that can do this? Horchaus said they know a guy in CA. I contacted Achtuning near Seattle that does a ton of Audi/Porsche/VW upgrades, and they don't do it and can't think of anyone to refer.

lswing
February 12th, 2015, 01:28
See my post on the thread above for 10sec tune, page 7, my issues with toasting a $500 TCU...

PM'd you for the ECU, might want an extra, thanks.

s8prtotype
February 12th, 2015, 02:59
Update:
ECU Tune: Bought the Eurocharge programmer with their tune. $599 plus shipping. In transit. Can't wait to fire it up. Didn't need to buy the used ECU after all. Anyone need one?
TCU Tune: Contacted the MTM rep in Canada, Horchaus. They don't swap the chip anymore, but are glad to mail a chip for $175 (Canadian $), and the buyer has to swap the chip out or find someone that will do it. Question: guessing that this takes some skill, has anyone tried it? Anyone know of a shop in the Seattle area or elsewhere that can do this? Horchaus said they know a guy in CA. I contacted Achtuning near Seattle that does a ton of Audi/Porsche/VW upgrades, and they don't do it and can't think of anyone to refer.

Who is the guy they know in cali? That's probably our only option.

topcat_92
February 12th, 2015, 17:16
Who is the guy they know in cali? That's probably our only option.
http://www.2bennett.com/