PDA

View Full Version : replacing tranny, engine out. 125k miles. what else should i tend to while in there

peiserg
December 3rd, 2014, 04:17
i've heard 2 o2 sensors and egt sensor, plus rear main engine seal. anything else?

lswing
December 3rd, 2014, 04:39
Think it's that rear output seal from trans/center diff. Inspect all wiring and hoses. Highly recommend pads for cam shaft adjusters, or new adjusters if you really want to drop $$$. Venair IC hoses. Upper rollers of timing belt. Cam gaskets, manifold gaskets. Rebuild turbos, $1k.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31572-Survey-When-did-your-cam-adjuster-tensioner(s)-fail?highlight=

Bigglezworth
December 3rd, 2014, 05:14
If your pockets support, O2's, Rear cam plugs and rear seals, remove SAI if your local emissions testing permits, replace shoes on cam tensioners, and valve cover gaskets. Check freeplay on both turbo's and rebuild if necessary. Everything else can be done with engine in car.

Aronis
December 4th, 2014, 01:11
Can the exhaust manifold gasket be replaced with engine in car?

Bigglezworth
December 4th, 2014, 14:37
can the exhaust manifold gasket be replaced with engine in car?no......

December 5th, 2014, 02:14
Turbos....Midwest Turbo....

DHall1
December 5th, 2014, 03:07
You have run those turbos hard in our heat. tuned all those miles

I forget the shop that did a set for me.....let me think about it

Scroll turbo

December 5th, 2014, 03:40
I did Bufkin pipe....Midwest Turbo's (Scroll does the same for $500 more) T-stat, water pump, timing belt, rollers, valve cover gaskets, EGT sensors, O2 sensors, and a Eurocharged tune when I did my trans....love the way she runs.....used my wife's stock RS to embarrass a Z06 Vette over Thanksgiving....love this car!!!

DHall1
December 5th, 2014, 04:44
Yes Bufkin for sure

Bigglezworth
December 5th, 2014, 05:02
Oil cooler pipe is certainly easier when everything is out yes. Can be done with engine in car, but with three times the effort as you need to remove alternator, harness, oil fileter, oil cooler lines feeding the supplemental front mount oil cooler, subrame mount, and engine mount. Even then, it's super tight space to remove the engine oil cooler housing, so this one piece of preventative maintenance is a good one to do with the powerplant out indeed.

lswing
December 5th, 2014, 14:28
Been so long I forgot about that damn little Bufkin pipe...good thing to forget about...well worth doing.

lswing
December 5th, 2014, 14:29
I did Bufkin pipe....Midwest Turbo's (Scroll does the same for $500 more) T-stat, water pump, timing belt, rollers, valve cover gaskets, EGT sensors, O2 sensors, and a Eurocharged tune when I did my trans....love the way she runs.....used my wife's stock RS to embarrass a Z06 Vette over Thanksgiving....love this car!!!

Good list...but a stock RS6 is so slow, poor Vette:addict:

StevieG.
December 10th, 2014, 20:03
I had a vacuum component break that is on top of the engine but very hard to get to, causing loss of brakes, bad running etc. Called a vacuum valve part number 078-905-291b. apparently they are cheap plastic and for $42 may want to consider.