PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Problems

Johfra
January 14th, 2004, 16:11
I looked through the threads to see if there was one for the couple of problems I am having. My RS6 has been at the dealership since this past Monday morning, and will probably be there until at least Friday.

The main problems are that the steering column was not retracting into the dash and my brakes were squealing badly (3250 miles). They told me that the ceramic brakes are going to do that. But, it's really bad. Anyone else with the problem?

It's still in the shop because they have the car apart and went to install the new steering column, but there is a substantial voltage drop, even after the new column was placed. They are on the phone with Audi tech. Anyone else with this problem?

I'm using a loaner A4 (feels like I'm driving backwards) and I cannot wait until I get back into my driver seat. :incar: The dealer said that if they cannot get it going, then they can put it back together and schedule a better time for me to have this problem resolved.

Erik
January 14th, 2004, 18:23
Originally posted by Johfra
my brakes were squealing badly (3250 miles). They told me that the ceramic brakes are going to do that. But, it's really bad. Anyone else with the problem?

Brakes gone after 5000 km...hmmm... :eye:

First of all, your brakes are not ceramic. Who told you that?
A friend of mine has an RS6 Avant (misano red) with sport brakes.
Now the sport brakes is virtually the same as stock except for the perforated discs and would not do any change in terms of quality.
He changed his discs on warranty without problem.
I'm not sure about the mileage, but it's a lot higher than 5000 km.
I'd say make them change on warranty or at least get something written down as proof so they can see they were worn at an early stage.
Good luck!

Johfra
January 14th, 2004, 19:06
I thought it sounded a little strange about ceramic brakes. I haven't had a chance to check their claim. I'm going to push them on the brakes.

Erik
January 14th, 2004, 19:16
I thought it sounded a little strange about ceramic brakes.

Use it against them when you push. The fact they haven't got a clue what they're servicing is bothering.

EVO (British car mag) had the RS6 for a while as a daily and the biggest issue was the service. The car was working fine, but scheduled service was always a hazzle.

Johfra
January 14th, 2004, 19:35
There are not alot of RS6's around, and certainly not alot with high mileage, so it's understandable about the quality of knowledge, or lack there of.

Bauer
January 14th, 2004, 20:06
My pads are cracked and the rotors scared....making all sorts of wonderful noises. Talked with tech today about it...also feels like my rotors may be warped as well. I have about 10K on my car....the break pads will crack if they get too hot like mine did.

They were going to replace the pads under warranty...tech needs to pull the rotors off to see how far out they are to see if AoA will replace them. Tech said that you cant turn the rotors on these cars, they have to be replaced.

Each rotor is about $550
Pads are about $500

$1600 for PARTS on a break job.

Dont have any problem with the steering column.

Good luck:cheers:

Erik
January 14th, 2004, 20:12
If it gives you any comfort. My friend who has an E55 AMG has the same problem... :eye:

TheBrit
January 15th, 2004, 19:11
There are not alot of RS6's around, and certainly not alot with high mileage, so it's understandable about the quality of knowledge, or lack there of.
27,500+ miles high enough mileage?

My front and rear discs cracked after about 11,000 miles, and the wear on the front pads was abnormal as a result. I got the front pads and both sets of discs changed under warranty, and the replacement set lasted until 27,000 when I needed new pads front (they weren't desperate, but were near enough to dead) and rear, but by this point the rears were very very shabby and one had been binding a little and ended up fragmenting and scoring the disc badly, so new discs were put on the rear as well.

I'd hope the front discs will last as long as the new pads - about another 15,000 to 16,000 miles if the above is anything to go by.

As with anything, driving style and enviroment play a part.

coopsrs6
January 16th, 2004, 00:24
Bauer--Did your brakes get too hot @ T-hill? I know my wifes S8 did not like the "work out" they got @ Audi school in Oregon last year--what I read here makes me a bit cautious about the Laguna event coming up,especially the panic brake execise! Its a long drive home after the event. Oh well --we didn't buy these to baby them. With brake issues @ less than 20k miles tho I wonder if the factory will offer an upgrade or fix?

nyrs6
January 16th, 2004, 01:02
isnt brake pads discs all covered on the warranty there is no way the brake pads cost $500.00 thats crazy

dpiggee
January 16th, 2004, 01:23
I washed my wheels after a short snowfall a week ago, and my brakes have been squeaking a lot since then. The dealer said that because the pads and the discs are both metal, this will happen occasionally, and should clear up soon. I don't know if this will help, but I am a bit concerned also about the loud squeaking at only 2200 miles. Haven't had any problems with the steering column, though.

nene
January 16th, 2004, 02:00
The squealing from the brakes is normal, as even with my 14" Brembo Kit on the S4 the same occurred.
I noticed that due to the cold weather, my brakes have been squealing a bit more, and the car has 8K miles. I'm not worried, as the weather gets warmer it will be gone.

Nonetheless, big brakes just seem to squeal a bit more then others. Sort of like door hinges making weird noises in the Winter when they don't seem to occur in the Summer. Normal stuff, just annoying.

Thilo
January 16th, 2004, 10:58

The main problems are that the steering column was not retracting into the dash and my brakes were squealing badly (3250 miles). They told me that the ceramic brakes are going to do that. But, it's really bad. Anyone else with the problem?

I have the same problems with my brakes.
The took the whole brakes away. The noise was gone --- for 1 month --- since then the problem is back, but only when i drive very slow, for example when i let the car roll in front of a red light.

I think we have to accept that.

Greetings Thilo

Finnus
January 16th, 2004, 13:35
Seems like the breaks are not as high quality as we would like. Does it make sense to upgrade? Does anyone have an estimate of the cost to do so? Also, what manufacturer ould be recommended - Movit, etc.?

Finnus
:addict:

avdh
January 16th, 2004, 15:07
After 2500 km (1550 mi) my brakes, squeal as well but only on the very last bit of braking, when the car is nearly at a standstill. The loudness is dependant to how long it was since the last wash, which happens once or twice a week.

eph94
January 16th, 2004, 16:47
I get the slow speed break squeal as well. Tried telling the wife it is "normal" but she gave me grief about it nevertheless. :flamed:

Bauer
January 16th, 2004, 18:33
The breaks are more prone to making noise because they have a higher metalic content. When the noise comes and gos you are just wearing through the spots that have a higer metal content (at least this is what I have been told).

coopsrs6-

I would not really worry about it unless you really drive your car hard on the track. My breaks started making noise on the end of the second day of the Sear Point event and the last person to drive my car was Randy Pobst. He did 3 or 4 laps and was breaking VERY hard and very late. My wife went out with him and I think he was trying to scare or impress her a little:D :D ....she actully loved it and was not scared one bit. After that the breaks started making WAY more noise that the occasional squeal. Took the car to the dealer and the tech said that the pads had hair line cracks in them from over heating. I am sure this was do to Randys hot laps as the breaks had not made noise untill after his run.

I told the tech that I was going to Thunder Hill and that I would not have time before that to properly break in the new pads. So we decied to hold off and the tech said it would not be a safety problem. So off to the track I went and now the breaks make even more noise. Which I kind of expected as I am getting more comfortable on the track in the car...I was breaking harder and later at this last event.

I would not worry about it unless you plan on doing many track events and pushing your car very hard. In that case then I would say try different pads(pagid orange maybe...jimmy 94507 has contact info for) and break fulid(higher temp) first and see how that works. If you are still having problems then I would look at new front breaks. Statis had a alcon set up on the ur quattro that looked impressive(did not drive so dont know how they worked). They said they would most likely sell a set up for the RS6.

Thankfully the breaks and pads are coverned under warranty...I dont however want to keep going back to Audi every 10K for new rotors and pads beacuse it will become more of a fight. We will have to see what happens.

nyrs6-
believe it! I saw it for myself on the computer....my buddy pulled it up because I was curious....$500 and $1100 and probably another $300 to $400 in labor....that damm book time. Takes them 1/2 hour but the book says 2 days and thats what they charge.:mad:

Anyway I hope this helps.

Cooper one other thought the S8 breaks are not as good as the RS6 breaks....the S8 breaks are prone to warping and the S8 is heavier and the breaks are smaller.

:cheers:

nene
January 16th, 2004, 20:03
Originally posted by Finnus
Seems like the breaks are not as high quality as we would like. Does it make sense to upgrade? Does anyone have an estimate of the cost to do so? Also, what manufacturer ould be recommended - Movit, etc.?

Finnus

I don't believe upgrading is necessary, nor is it going to make the sound go away. The brakes we have are plenty good, and in my opinion great. All good systems will do this squealing at one point or another. Most of the sound is when you come to a rolling stop at a light.

Some days you will have it, and others you won't.
You want big brakes for this car, and we have the correct ones on it. I'd be willing to bet that the Movit system is not immune to the squealing as well.

Stick to what you got, but if you have some extra dough burning in your pocket, and were thinking of upgrading the brakes, just give it to me instead.

Erik
January 16th, 2004, 20:14
Originally posted by Finnus
Does it make sense to upgrade? Does anyone have an estimate of the cost to do so?

I can personally recommend Movit.

I changed my front brakes (A6 2.7T) and it made a HUGE difference. Not so much in stopping power (the tires might be the limit), but the feeling WOW!

Johfra
January 16th, 2004, 20:35
Well, I'm finally getting my car back today. :incar: They've have it since Monday morning for the problem with the steering column. It turns out that when the steering wheel was retracting into the dash, it was pinching a wire which in turn kept shorting it out. It's always the little things in life.

The dealer said they cleaned my brakes and that there really isn't anything that can be done with the brakes since the squealing doesn't qualify as a problem. Try telling my wife! She hears the squealing before she hears the rumbling from the car.

I've read everything everyone has written, and on one hand I'm glad I'm not the only one with the squealing, but sorry to hear others with the same issue. The problem only happens when going slowly and applying the brakes, as stated above. For the time being, I'll just make sure I slowing down behind a city bus and make everyone think it's them.:D

btumble
January 18th, 2004, 18:06
I just had my car in for the 5k service with the same brake squeal complaint. I had the brakes checked and cleaned. No problems with the brakes and the noise is gone. I was told that the brakes will make more noise when you stop easier. I've had it back just a week and so far no more noise but time will tell. Stopping ability was not affected with the noise.

Dark Knight
January 18th, 2004, 21:57
Mine has only 500 miles on it, and I have the low mile-an-hour brake sqeal, not annoying at this point and don't think it will be.

I think the stock brakes are pretty impressive, don't know about fade, you guys that have been on the track already will have to let me know whether it's prone to that. For the car's weight its 60 - 0 and the 80 - 0 braking distances are pretty damn impressive! But I suppose once you get used to it one always wants more!! LOL!

Bauer
January 19th, 2004, 16:43
Dark Night-

I think the problem with the breaks is fluid (boiling temp too low) and cracking pads due to over heating. Atleast that has been my experience so far. Going in Thur for new rotors and pads.:cheers:

Johfra
January 19th, 2004, 21:59
I'm still waiting to see if my brakes are quieter. I was supposed to get my car back Friday, but the dealer called at 5pm saying that even though they found the problem with the steering wheel, Audi told them to keep it so they can determine the best method for the repair. :mad: We are now going on two weeks.

One week for them to determine the problem, and another for the repair. Pretty depressing. :(

JAXRS6
January 20th, 2004, 05:26
One week for them to determine the problem, and another for the repair. Pretty depressing. :(

Join the club. I'm in Week 5 of waiting for parts from Germany, i.e. the sophisticated pulley which acts as the engine crank flywheel. My owner's advocate says there is no full complement of parts for the RS6 in the US, which I find to be puzzling and ridiculous at the same time. How could Audi, whether it's Audi of America or Audi AG, think that not having a full parts supply in the US was even an option? Isn't this a major market? Don't they want to sell performance cars here in the future? Don't they realize numerous new performance cars are coming out of Detroit soon, where waiting for parts won't be a problem and formerly-loyal-but-increasingly-frustrated Audiphiles like me will be showing keen interest if Audi doesn't get its parts act together soon -- like yesterday?

Or am I expecting too much? Some have said that Mercedes, too, does not stock all parts in the US for its performance (AMG) cars; does anyone know? What about BMW? Porsche?

Finnus
January 20th, 2004, 13:22
My owner's advocate says there is no full complement of parts for the RS6 in the US, which I find to be puzzling and ridiculous at the same time. How could Audi, whether it's Audi of America or Audi AG, think that not having a full parts supply in the US was even an option? Isn't this a major market?

Sounds like the same problem with a certain world leader and his lack of plans for rebuilding and managing the post-game in an oil ...

Oops. Sorry, I know we're not supposed to get political here. The similarities were too great to resist. LOL

Finnus

JAXRS6
January 20th, 2004, 18:59
Finnus, I like your analogy! Almost makes me wish an election was coming up & I'd get to vote for someone who would improve Audi's current parts procedures, since they obviously don't deliver the goods to US customers in a timely manner. Now that Gephardt is out of the Presidential race, d'ya think he'd be interested?!

Seriously, the more I think about it, there IS an election -- every day. It's called the free market, i.e. I can elect to get another car today, tomorrow, whenever. But I'd need to sell the RS6 to do that, and who's gonna buy it while it's undriveable & waiting for parts?

So, I am really stuck, paying over $200 a month to insure a car I can't use, losing another several hundred each month in depreciation, waiting for gas to turn bad from aging in a car that was brought in for bad gas issues, etc. Any suggestions from anyone aside from a lemon lawsuit, which I am beginning to look into? Also, still hoping to find out whether other German automakers keep some parts only in Germany for high performance cars.

Make no mistake, I love my RS6. It's not having it that makes me angry, and having no idea when it'll be done makes me even angrier. Why hang on to an asset that makes you angry?

Johfra
January 21st, 2004, 12:11
JAXRS6, Compared to your experience, mine doesn't sound so bad. I picked it up last night (9 days at the dealer) with the steering column problem fixed. I agree that my frustration was with not being able to drive it as well, but I sure racked up a ton of mileage on the A4 rental they gave me.

Although my insurance for the car is less than $100/month, my car payment is quite a bit higher. I asked the dealer about some sort of compensation since I was paying for something that I didn't have, and they told me to contact Audi directly and that they knew other drivers with similar repair lengths had gotten Audi to pick up part or a whole payment depending upon the length of the repair.

I'm calling today to find out. I think it's the main number for Audi. 800-822-2834

It's worth a call.

JAXRS6
January 21st, 2004, 16:12
Dealer called this morning to say that both the main engine crank pulley (necessary to get the car running again) and a valve (BPV? -- not as critical but still needed) have arrived!!! I hope to pick up the car tomorrow.

Ironically, the dealer's call came less than an hour after I had phoned my attorney about a possible lemon law suit in Michigan. That effort has been called off for now but could come up again. I may start an off topic thread on what I learned about lemon laws, if there isn't one already.

I have a correction and a question. The correction stems from my earlier posts saying I took the car in on 12/22. Well, it was 12/29. I incorrectly recalled that it was the Monday before Christmas, but it was actually the Monday before New Year's. I apologize for the error. So I'm now in my 4th week of being RS6less, not 5th, and 3 of those weeks have been made easier by the dealer providing an ML 350 (Mercedes' compact SUV) as my loaner.

THE QUESTION IS FOR JOHFRA: Where do you insure your RS6 for less than $100/month? I pay $225/mo to Chubb for a $1,000 deductible, probably because I got a minor speeding ticket about two years ago...but sure would be nice to explore a less expensive alternative. At the time of my purchase last August, my existing insurer -- Citzens, which is regional in the upper Midwest -- wouldn't even insure the RS6 because it's such an unusual high-performance vehicle.

Audihead
January 21st, 2004, 21:35
JAX you have a PM.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead