PDA

View Full Version : what's the easiest way to pull a manual tranny from an RS6?

UrS6
December 3rd, 2014, 00:59
Forgive me if its been covered. Are the manual tranny cars easier to pull from below rather than the normal pull the motor and tranny together as most suggest with the original auto box? It seems the tranny is smaller and access may be sufficient to get it out that way. I haven't had time to look yet but thought I would query those who have done it.

Bigglezworth
December 3rd, 2014, 02:55
SteveKen is the best one to answer this...

You 'can' pull an auto from below also, but it's difficult. By the time one messes around with things, it is frequently quicker and easier to remove the entire hulk. Removal of the tranny is hindered by the turbos which physically block removal of the upper two mounting bolts, so the real question is whether or not you can take the turbos out from below without removing the engine/tranny. I can tell you that both turbos can be removed from below as I'm currently doing just that at the moment on my one ride without entirely removing the engine/tranny from the chassis. I did have to lower it enough to get enough room to access all the bolts however. Didn't have to even unbolt the driveshaft or remove the difficult cables to the starter either....

UrS6
December 3rd, 2014, 06:56
I know it's definitely hard on the Auto trannies. I just figured it might be more doable on the smaller 01e. I'm hoping it is a starter issue and I don't have to remove it at all but my car is so screwed up that I might just pull the tranny out to figure out exactly what is going on.

ttboost
December 5th, 2014, 02:13
Auto tranny will not drop out the bottom with DP's and turbos in place. Actually, DP's and Passenger turbo out, it can be done, but still a bear. The 01E IS easier, and you CAN get it out, without dropping the passenger side turbo, BUT you still need to remove the wastegate. but I seem to recall you still need to remove the Passenger turbo to get to the starter anyway. ..and good luck with that. The starter on this car is the worst to get to.