PDA

View Full Version : Well, I went and did it (almost).

JohnnyB
November 29th, 2014, 05:35
For better or worse, I finally pulled the trigger on my new Beast! I still have to arrange final payment and shipping (or a plane ticket) so I have yet to actually sit behind the wheel but the PPI checked out and it looks like it's in good shape.

58k miles, $23,900, Late VIN, the only thing I'm concerned with is the lack of service records. No idea when the last timing belt was done. Carfax shows regular maintenance but no record of a specific timing belt change. I'm thinking that's going to be my first stop. (Maybe in conjunction with a chip...?)

What do you guys think? Good buy?

They also wanted to get me a warranty through SafeGuard. It's the platinum (exclusionary) plan - 3yr/36k for $3700. I looked it up and can't find the specific exclusions. I also read a host of complaints from the BBB (though they were rated A+). I'm leaning towards passing on this and looking into Fidelity which seems to get a lot of good press around here. Any thoughts?

I'm excited!

Zorb
November 29th, 2014, 07:42
I don't believe you can buy a Fidelity warranty except through an Audi dealer when the vehicle is below a certain age.

4everRS
November 29th, 2014, 13:09
Congrats! It nearly a perfect match to my car. Color inside and out, interior trim, wheels(including color), and smoked taillights. Except mine are hella, and not that dark. You're window tint is a bit darker too.

You'll love it. Make sure that tbelt service was done!

lswing
November 29th, 2014, 14:53
Looks great, somebody put some time and money into styling the car. That TB service HAS to have been done, or you could have it break and mess up your engine bad at any moment. It should have been done at 30-35k. If there is no record I'd say it's worth a few hundred to have it opened up and inspected. You could at least replace the two small upper rollers that are prone to early wear.

As mentioned, warranties can be a bit shady, make sure to read all fine print.

Get Ross-Tech vagcom so you can diagnose your own problems and log data. Is this the car with the "misfires" and "clogged cats"? If so you've got a few problems to fix already, and vagcom (VCDS) will be very helpful.

Welcome and cheers!

Bigglezworth
November 29th, 2014, 16:47
Timing belt is a relatively quick jot for anyone experienced with working on these cars. A swap of belts, rollers, tensioners can all be done in a nominal 3 hours from drive in to drive out. Add anouther half your if you're doing a water pump and T-Stat, and add another hour to that if you are doing the front cam seals and crank seal. Although you can piss around doing this repair without a cam locking bar, and crank locking pin, both are inexpensive to purchase for your toolchest and make the job easier. Add a solid hour to the timing if you are performing a TB swap without a cam bar.

Ruergard
November 29th, 2014, 18:15
Congrats! Looks angry. :thumb:

vas160s
November 30th, 2014, 13:23
Congrats! Looks bad ass.

rwheelz
November 30th, 2014, 17:44
Awesome find!

Turbowned
November 30th, 2014, 19:54
Looks great! Wheels, tint and taillights work together nicely. The aluminum pedal covers inside look great, too :)

RSoverAll
December 1st, 2014, 02:15
Very nice.

Drifters
December 1st, 2014, 14:32
Just wondering what gauges are those?

lswing
December 1st, 2014, 15:18

Good eye, interesting, they look slick.

Drifters
December 1st, 2014, 15:24
^^^ Yeah, I would love to have a set of those gauges in mine. :)

2000c43
December 1st, 2014, 19:00
Looks awesome!

JohnnyB
December 2nd, 2014, 01:16
Thank you everyone! I honestly can't remember a time I've been more excited about a car since my first (a red '87 Honda Prelude when I turned 16. Loved it to death). I just signed the paperwork so now comes the excruciating wait for delivery. I feel like a five year old waiting for Christmas.

Is is it here yet? :jlol:

No. :cry:

What about now?? :jlol:

No. :cry: :cry:

JohnnyB
December 2nd, 2014, 01:24

I honestly don't know anything about the gauges. The original seller had it in his showroom as part of a big car collection so he prettied it up a bit. I'll see if the dealer knows what they are.

lswing
December 2nd, 2014, 01:32
Was looking at clusters, might be an S6 with led lighting? Enjoy! If you're not excited by the power, first check all tuneup options, then flash with a tune, of course that puts the trans in more jeopardy but well worth it:addict:

JohnnyB
December 2nd, 2014, 04:14
Got some closer pics of the cluster. Dealer doesn't know what they are either, but I like 'em!

midwest1275
December 2nd, 2014, 09:01
I'm in the same boat. I just wired the $ for my first RS6. It's coming in a week or two. It's set up w/the same wheels but black exterior and white interior. I went for the lowest mileage one I could find (53K). Clean history and all maintenance by the book. I felt a little more comfortable buying from an Audi dealership. They did a full eval on the car and it came back w/ only a few minor issues needing to be fixed. I didn't expect it to be perfect, I'm Ok with a few things needing to be dialed. The 3/36k warranty was pricey at $5,500, but it was the only one I could find w/the age/miles of the car. Realistically, I am using the warranty as a back up as I know the warranty won't cover everything. I have a rainy day fund that will prob get used up quickly getting the usual sorted (EGT/O2, brakes, coil pack, etc). DRC was done recently. This warranty fully covers the tranny so that's taken care of. Owning one of these is already an adventure and it hasn't even arrived yet! The shipping ended up being $1200 door to door from Minneapolis to Los Angeles. I've never purchased a car off the internet before so this was a lil scary. Getting a dealership eval, having a local drive it, and getting a warranty relieved most of the anxiety. My initial urge is to start modding the car right away, but I want to focus on getting it sorted and getting the basics solid first. Congrats on ur purchase! My final price was $22,100 down from $22,999. Not too shabby.

JohnnyB
December 6th, 2014, 07:46
Heh, I responded in your other post as well. I was actualy talking for a few days with the guy at Minneapolis Audi about purchasing yours and then suddenly got a message back saying it sold. Congrats man, beautiful car! I did like you and went with the next lowest mileage but I'd be lying if I said I'm not envious of your color combo. I'm curious about your warranty. I was quoted 3700 for the 3/36 but after a lot of mental deliberation, finally ended up declining it. There were a lot of exclusions and I was worried I'd have paid for service and still have to come out of pocket for a lot on my own. They quoted be between 600-800 shipping from Chicago to Denver, and I'm hoping to see it by the end of the next week. I'm also pretty anxious but I did as much research as possible, got an audi dealer to do the PIP and had them fix a slightly leaky CV joint. I'm like you also where I really want to tune it immediately but smarter money would be spent on in initial timing belt service and general maintenance first. I can't wait to finally get behind the wheel though!

lswing
December 6th, 2014, 19:40
Ah the first drive, so sweet. The first few really blew me away. My car was already tuned though, and kicking out a good 50 extra hp and 80 extra tq I'm sure. There was a twisty drive just a mile from the dealership, they handed me the keys and said have fun; the pickup and pull under boost was amazing, and the big brakes grabbed so good! I was coming from a tuned WRX, and had been around a new M5 and Evo plenty, but the RS6 is it's own special beast. Enjoy!

Shipping varied greatly depending on season. Using DAS I shipped a car from Oregon to New York for $1,300 in the middle of winter. I then shipped my RS6 from Oregon to Texas in early summer for $1,500. Both door to door.