PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 6 speed software?

UrS6
November 25th, 2014, 15:15
My car has been turned down yet again by the state of Massachusetts for an inspection sticker. I was flagged some time ago because my OBDII wouldn't communicate. So I had to go to one of the MA Motorist Assistance Centers instead of a regular inspection station. Got the software fixed and then the readiness monitors were not supported. That is fixed now and they still won't pass me because the guy said "there was stuff there that is not there now". I don't know what the fuck that means. He suggested I take it to Audi for a flash. Anyone have any ideas? Also, if you want it please make me an offer. Don't bother if you live in MA tho.

lswing
November 25th, 2014, 16:43
AMD, in Washington. Not sure if that will get you through inspection but heard nothing but good about their 6-speed tune and work. Maybe just ship them ECU?

Who did your current tune?

ben916
November 25th, 2014, 21:20
AMD in Woodinville, WA or EPL in CT

Turbowned
November 30th, 2014, 20:00
I'd try EPL first because they're closest: http://www.eplabs.net/

kday
December 2nd, 2014, 04:11
My car has been turned down yet again by the state of Massachusetts for an inspection sticker. I was flagged some time ago because my OBDII wouldn't communicate. So I had to go to one of the MA Motorist Assistance Centers instead of a regular inspection station. Got the software fixed and then the readiness monitors were not supported. That is fixed now and they still won't pass me because the guy said "there was stuff there that is not there now". I don't know what the fuck that means. He suggested I take it to Audi for a flash. Anyone have any ideas? Also, if you want it please make me an offer. Don't bother if you live in MA tho.

That's frustrating, John. To answer your email of a while back (sorry) - my conversion is still in a holding pattern waiting on more free time on my part.
I assume your car won't pass inspection with the unmodified ECU with the ABS and TC broken?

For what it's worth (not much) my Miata failed for a loud exhaust in 2011 or 2012 and I've been driving around with an R sticker ever since. I don't put many miles on it though. I'm probably pushing my luck on that one.

ttboost
December 5th, 2014, 02:20
You can probably get it to pass with the right ABS module. I had this same issue here in CT with my old car. I had one of the following: either a CEL, with functioning ABS and TC OR NO CEL, but nonfunctioning ABS and TC. It will pass emissions with the latter. After it passed, I put the stock ABS module back in, which got my ABS & TC working, but got my CEL back. As long as you don't have a CEL, I think it should pass. It's pain to code these back and forth, especially if you didn't record what you had to start with.

UrS6
December 7th, 2014, 22:41
It seems now that the state of MA (which now follows CA CARB rules) is trying to figure out if putting a 6 speed in a car that was never sold here with a 6-speed is OK. They are asking the MA DEP to decide. The funny thing is that the 6-speed is lower in emissions and all of the readiness and everything else is 100% working and stock. Stoopid. We'll see if I can make my case. I have spent hours and hours reading Cali CARB rules. Any attorneys here want to volunteer their email address or phone number if I need to bounce some questions off you?

sbcrc86
December 18th, 2014, 21:12
I think if you had not been sent to the MAC they would never have noticed the 6 speed. The states computer will automatically flag you if your readiness monitors have been altered via a tune. As long readiness monitors are unaltered you should pass. Even if you go in with ABS and TC lights on the massachusetts states computer won't fail you, the tech would have to notice and manually fail you. Are you sure it's because its a six speed the computer is flagging you?

UrS6
December 18th, 2014, 22:55
Yes. Non certified configuration. The issue is that now Massachusetts scans cars and compares the readings with every other like vehicle in the state that has been through the inspection. They have a vehicle database. So even if your readiness monitors and codes are okay you can pick up on other things like flashes, cleared codes, etc. If he picks up on anything they might flag you. Either way I'm real jammed up right now.

sbcrc86
December 18th, 2014, 23:26
Hmm this is not good. There must be a way to trick the TCU into thinking the automatic is still functioning

UrS6
December 18th, 2014, 23:41
Hmm this is not good. There must be a way to trick the TCU into thinking the automatic is still functioning

if only I could trick the MA DEP!

lswing
December 19th, 2014, 00:14
Did you say who tuned this? Couldn't some of the problem just be errors that one of the top 6-speed tuners could clear up? I would think if they're passing in all other states there would be a way. Is it true the Massholes banned happy hour?

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 00:44
who are the top tuners?

EINHORN
December 19th, 2014, 00:49
move to RI

lswing
December 19th, 2014, 00:53
who are the top tuners?

Listed earlier, both AMD and EPL have perfect records from what I've heard. Multiple 6-speeds in CA also, not sure on their tunes.

UrS6
December 19th, 2014, 14:40
Listed earlier, both AMD and EPL have perfect records from what I've heard. Multiple 6-speeds in CA also, not sure on their tunes.
Who has a 6 speed in California? I'd like to talk to them and see if they had any trouble.

the tune doesn't matter now. The car was flagged for a manual transmission and they are saying you need to change back to an automatic for a sticker

lswing
December 19th, 2014, 14:58
Who has a 6 speed in California? I'd like to talk to them and see if they had any trouble.

the tune doesn't matter now. The car was flagged for a manual transmission and they are saying you need to change back to an automatic for a sticker

It's on the other thread just a few down, 6-speed CA:)

UrS6
December 19th, 2014, 15:12
I haven't found anyone yet. I'd imagine the Raven car is on a repair plate but I'm trying to get in touch with them. If Cali says it's ok MA will allow it.

lswing
December 19th, 2014, 15:45
I haven't found anyone yet. I'd imagine the Raven car is on a repair plate but I'm trying to get in touch with them. If Cali says it's ok MA will allow it.

korben007, or something like that, has a 6-speed in CA, maybe he'll chime in sometime, sounds like a good shop he was working with.

Seems like the most reliable is just to send your ECU to AMD in WA and get everything properly sorted, although inspection varies by county there, so maybe they don't have to deal with it.

UrS6
December 19th, 2014, 15:49
korben007, or something like that, has a 6-speed in CA, maybe he'll chime in sometime, sounds like a good shop he was working with.

Seems like the most reliable is just to send your ECU to AMD in WA and get everything properly sorted, although inspection varies by county there, so maybe they don't have to deal with it.
His, korbens, car is registered in Nevada.The issue is not the software. The software is all sorted out. The problem is a visual inspection has shown that the car is a manual transmission. I can't get the flag lifted because that's how it's in the computer. So anybody else the looks of the car will also see the manual transmission.

UrS6
December 19th, 2014, 15:59
Originally I thought that the software was the problem. That is why the post is titled as such. Subsequently the state of Massachusetts has told me that the software is fine but the noncertified configuration, the transmission swap, is the problem.

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 16:47
A helpful resource may be NMA (National Motorist Association), they have a lot of legal information. There is a program where the Mass RMV will pull the flag on your car under certain circumstances you may also be able to get a financial hardship pass (because the cost to make the vehicle comply is unreasonable and you cannot afford it) which will lift the flag for a year which at the end of you would have to reapply.

UrS6
December 19th, 2014, 17:08
A helpful resource may be NMA (National Motorist Association), they have a lot of legal information. There is a program where the Mass RMV will pull the flag on your car under certain circumstances you may also be able to get a financial hardship pass (because the cost to make the vehicle comply is unreasonable and you cannot afford it) which will lift the flag for a year which at the end of you would have to reapply. they say the hardship won't apply because it's not something that's broken it's something that I tampered with.

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 17:22
they say the hardship won't apply because it's not something that's broken it's something that I tampered with.
Did the RMV tell you this or the MAC?

lswing
December 19th, 2014, 17:27
they say the hardship won't apply because it's not something that's broken it's something that I tampered with.

Seems like you could argue that a 6-speed was your only option. Realistically it's more reliable and repairable than the auto box. There are plenty of other Audi's and car types that people swap from auto to manual, maybe dig around on Quattroworld or Audizine. Best of luck!

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 17:46
http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/documents/MASS%20Module%204.pdf
I cannot find anything that says you can't install a 6 speed, the MAC may be acting in a grey area by denying you because no emissions systems are altered by installing a manual. I mean then is it illegal to change the gearing in an automatic, or to put a different model auto box in the car? I think the term "non certified configuration" was meant more for somebody installing different engines into a vehicle (like putting a V8 into a car that came stock with a four cylinder).And I agree with Iswings above comment. I for example have gone through 2 transmissions in 2.5 years and less than 10,000 miles. Both ZF and Audi do not give adequate warranties for the transmission which is arguably faulty. So what does the state expect me to do, Continue to buy faulty transmissions every few years because the states attorney general has failed to make the manufacturers accountable for putting a transmission that belongs in an X5 in a 450h.p RS6?

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 18:00
http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/documents/MASS%20Module%204.pdf
Ok here it is! I don't see how that applies at all to your case.

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 18:01
http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dep/service/regulations/310cmr60.pdf
sorry that last link was incorrect. Here is the DEP rule for no certified configuration.

UrS6
December 19th, 2014, 19:03
http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dep/service/regulations/310cmr60.pdf
sorry that last link was incorrect. Here is the DEP rule for no certified configuration.
It is also an EPA and CARB rule so technically it applies to all cars in the United States. Of course some states are more diligent about pursuing.

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 19:15
The only restrictions I could find regarding transmissions in that Regulation was regarding kit cars.

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 19:20
And DQ factor for a financial hardship extension is specifically only if the Emission Control System was tampered with. By definition the transmission is not the emission control system.

UrS6
December 19th, 2014, 19:46
Tranny is emissions control. It sounds stupid but technically the transmission and the tested transmission program in the car's computer reflects a certified configuration that's been tested by the EPA. If you change a transmission, it changes the RPMs, the load on the engine, etc. In this case we know that it's changed for the better. But barring testing by the EPA this is only hearsay. My theory doesn't mean shit to them.

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 20:02
so then the wheels and rear differentials are also emissions control systems? It would be so convenient to be a lawyer.

UrS6
December 19th, 2014, 20:09
so then the wheels and rear differentials are also emissions control systems? It would be so convenient to be a lawyer.
According to the state of California differentials are in fact considered admissions control devices. I thought the same thing about the wheels.

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 20:44
Well I still have my autocratic so worse comes to worse I'll put it back in to pass inspection lol

EINHORN
December 19th, 2014, 21:46
Have you read the mass code of regulations on this. Might give you some additional information.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/massdep/air/regulations/310-cmr-7-00-air-pollution-control-regulation.html

Look around in the Variance and Appeals sections 310 cmr 7.50-7.52.

EINHORN
December 19th, 2014, 21:51
Bad news, see below

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Seems definitative

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 22:13
Bad news, see below

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Seems definitative

the 4.2 v8 is manufactured in the s6 with the 01E. That would be my argument.

UrS6
December 19th, 2014, 23:27
I thought the S-6 was only manufactured with an automatic transmission both here and in Europe. Furthermore, the EPA and the Massachusetts DEP don't care what was manufactured outside of the United States.

UrS6
December 19th, 2014, 23:30
Nothing is definitive. I'm waiting to hear back from two EPA testing labs to see if I can have the car tested the EPA standards in order to prove that it is emissions worthy. I would just sell the car but since this is so ridiculous I'm going to go to the mat on it.

sbcrc86
December 19th, 2014, 23:41
I meant a6 4.2 granted the engine code is different. Go for it dude, my 01E project is going full steam ahead despite these new found issues. If there is a will there is a way.

UrS6
December 20th, 2014, 00:14
I meant a6 4.2 granted the engine code is different. Go for it dude, my 01E project is going full steam ahead despite these new found issues. If there is a will there is a way. I don't think that the A6 had a six speed either. I'm going to battle this though.

mswanson
December 23rd, 2014, 03:31
Give them hell John. I've done everything I can from my end, the ecu is 100% compliant at this point. Its the squeaky wheels that get grease. if the noise makes it far enough up the hill its possible to get crap like this changed.

scottmandu
December 25th, 2014, 18:11
It seems now that the state of MA (which now follows CA CARB rules) is trying to figure out if putting a 6 speed in a car that was never sold here with a 6-speed is OK. They are asking the MA DEP to decide. The funny thing is that the 6-speed is lower in emissions and all of the readiness and everything else is 100% working and stock. Stoopid. We'll see if I can make my case. I have spent hours and hours reading Cali CARB rules. Any attorneys here want to volunteer their email address or phone number if I need to bounce some questions off you?

EPA/CARB regs require a certification process for different drivetrains. Put a manual trans in a car certified for an automatic and it's no longer in compliance, regardless if emissions are lower or not, it still have to be certified. You can thank your government for that.

scottmandu
December 25th, 2014, 18:12
I don't think that the A6 had a six speed either. I'm going to battle this though.

The A6 4.2 and S6 was automatic only as well. The only certified C5 with a manual trans was the 2.8, and 2.7.

EINHORN
December 26th, 2014, 23:36
If they come up with an exception/exemption for this, they will be bombarded with others, that may require them to examine them individually. They are not interested in this, preferring manufacturers to bear this burden,

UrS6
December 27th, 2014, 00:31
If they come up with an exception/exemption for this, they will be bombarded with others, that may require them to examine them individually. They are not interested in this, preferring manufacturers to bear this burden,
Manufacturers would never get involved. They want nothing to do with somebody 10 years after the fact swapping out the transmission. According to the Massachusetts Department of environmental protection I can either put everything back to stock, 100%, or I can go shit in my hat. Beware though… These new rules apply to anything that can be considered emissions related: air filters, ignition coil's, cold air intakes, etc. obviously a cold air intake is easier to swap out if you get caught with it. But the new rules basically state that you cannot change anything. Going forward they'll probably become more rigorous. And don't think it's just Massachusetts and California. I believe there are 10 other states who have adopted CARB standards. I also read that there are 20 others considering it. It shouldn't be long before we are all driving OE standard cars. Anyone ever see the Last Chase? Rent it if you can find it

sbcrc86
December 28th, 2014, 18:27
So Californians voted in politicians who ultimately put the CARB together and in power. It sort of feels like A foreign entity(California) regulating its will on citizens of sovereign states who never had the chance to be represented when this BS went through the state legislature.