PDA

View Full Version : New Love!!!

sturs6
January 26th, 2004, 18:24
I have fallen in love with the RS6 again. We have gotten some snow and ice here which had not happend yet and will not probably happen again. This car is great in this type of weather. I was out last night and also this morning in some empty parking areas trying out the esp to get a feel of how it works. Man it is awesome and I only have the stock Dunlop 9000 RS on it I could only imagine with good winter setup how well it would perform. Driving around today I was one of the only cars out all others were turcks and SUV's it was great.
This is my first quattro if you can not tell.

- Stuart

Erik
January 26th, 2004, 19:42
A friend of mine who drives a new E55 AMG put his winter tires on and reported " the car died on me, all I can do is watch the ESP light up to 200 km/h..." :hihi:

Bauer
January 26th, 2004, 19:56
I have found that once you have a quattro it is really hard to back to anything else. The RS6 is truely an all weather super car in my mind. We don't get snow where I live but about 2.5 to 3 hours away is the Sierras and many great ski resorts. I love driving through the chain control and looking at the poor saps putting on chains in the freezing cold. I have never been questioned by the guys running the control...they all seem to know and just waive me through. They don't even check to see if I have M+S tires.

We keep a set of rims and Dunlop M2/M3's for our S8 for when we go up...the car is fantastic with the set up.

About 3 years ago my wife was up in Lake Tahoe visiting her brother and a massive snow storm rolled in. She had take my 92 S4 which had the S6 Avant wheels on it with some Dunlop 8000's. She walked outside to start the car and warm it up and noticed two guys across the street trying to get a Jeep unstuck. Went back in packed her stuff and loaded the S4 up.....guys STILL there trying the get the Jeep unstuck. Guys watched her get in the car and said "good luck getting out". She threw it in reverse, tires spun a little, then caught back out she went. As she threw the car into first to drive down the street, she rolled the window down and said "good luck boys" and drove off. The guys stood there with their jaws to the ground as she drove off:D :D

Gotta love the quattro:incar:

Erik
January 26th, 2004, 20:16
And when you get used to 450 hp in the snow you should try the 996TT, Gallardo or LeMans quattro... :MTM:

Klint
January 26th, 2004, 23:37
Great stories guys!

Nice to know quattro does what it's set out to do.

But if your like me, snow means playtime....What does one do if you actually want to go sideways in the snow? Is this achievable with the likes of the Rs6, with all that traction around? :confused:

sturs6
January 26th, 2004, 23:41
It is possible but it just does not last long like it used to in my mustang. :hihi:

Bauer
January 27th, 2004, 00:02
Turn off the ESP and get as sideways as you like.:D :D Its has not been a problem in any Audi's I have owned from 84 4000(of course did not have ESP) quattro to the RS6.

Kiwi RS6
January 29th, 2004, 08:55
Hi,

In my previous car, an A6 V8, I was parked up the mountain on a large sheet of ice. With the Quattro, it drove off without spinning an inch.

With the high performance tyres on the RS6 (Pirelli P Zeros), I'm told the grip disappears at around 32 Deg F, so be very careful if you rely on the Quattro keeping you out of trouble.