PDA

View Full Version : Rear rotors question

vas160s
November 20th, 2014, 21:26
I have recently bought front zimmermans rotors and am just looking around as my guy said my rear pads are 40% and I will also need rear rotors. So my question is....do I have to replace rotors every time I replace pads??? And what's a good reasonable place to get rear rotors? Seems fronts are more readily available and most don't sell rears for some reason. Thanks as always.

marklar182
November 20th, 2014, 21:29
Pretty Much! Open that wallet!

vas160s
November 20th, 2014, 21:35
lol why replace rotors that are not needing to be replaced. Where can I find some and what's the life expectancy of these...shit is getting expensive :-)

marklar182
November 20th, 2014, 21:48
Parts geek is probably cheapest.

Did your Mechanic measure the disc thickness?

Its a 2+ Ton car with alot of HP, Rotors and pads are consumable and can be consumed quick!

I got 50K out of mine with some life left. I drive like a grandpa though.

vas160s
November 21st, 2014, 00:06
I can't use them again. They screwed up my last order and hijacked my money for over a month. I wrote a post about it. Never again lol.

DHall1
November 21st, 2014, 00:48
You can get 50k plus out of rotors.

You can get 20k out of rotors.

Blame it on gray material and your right foot.

I get 50k but from time to time i feel like a 20yr old.

Bigglezworth
November 21st, 2014, 01:00
Heavy car and agressive driving will see consumption of front rotors quicker than rears at a rate of at least double and possibly triple... I replace rotors once for every two sets of pads. I perform a light resurface of the rotors to remove any light gouging as long as the rotors are still within spec. If they are borderline spec, I don't turn and have frequently looked to run the new pads for 50% of their lifespan prior to swapping for new rotors and new pads again. The pads are a lot less expensive than the rotors.

I have also recently been procuring the non-drilled Phaeton rotors which are direct fit. They perform fine and are significantly more cost affordable then the cross drilled.

Other_Erik
November 21st, 2014, 13:15
I have also recently been procuring the non-drilled Phaeton rotors which are direct fit. They perform fine and are significantly more cost affordable then the cross drilled.

Are they same sized front and rear or just rear?

Bigglezworth
November 21st, 2014, 14:14
Are they same sized front and rear or just rear?Sorry the crutch of your post of course. I have only done Phaeton fronts and cannot provide insight to whether the rears are the same fit or no unfortunately.

Other_Erik
November 21st, 2014, 16:32
Sorry the crutch of your post of course. I have only done Phaeton fronts and cannot provide insight to whether the rears are the same fit or no unfortunately.

Front RS6 rotors == 365x34
Front Phaeton rotors == 360x32

Rear RS6 rotors == 335x22
Rear Phaeton Rotors == 310x22

Fronts are close enough to be basically interchangeable (and MUCH cheaper getting Phaeton rotors)
Rears are too far off...

Korben007
February 11th, 2015, 02:48
parts number or model year/specifics of phaeton that work?

RS8
February 11th, 2015, 09:12
Phaeton W12 part number: 3D0615301N
They are 365x34

(but I don't know if it is 100% direct fit or not)
(We are talking about them in another tread)