PDA

View Full Version : Time for control arms... question for y'all

Turbowned
November 11th, 2014, 01:30
Just confirmed that the unpleasant groaning noise that started a couple days ago is a couple of my front control arms going bad. I was going to replace them just due to age next year, but I guess this moves the timetable forward.

I'm looking online at control arm kits and I've found two. There's quite the disparity in price between 034motorsport's kit and ECS tuning's kit; can anyone explain?

http://store.034motorsport.com/control-arm-kit-density-line-early-b5-c5-audi-s4-rs4-a6-s6-rs6-b5-volkswagen-passat-with-aluminum-uprights.html

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Suspension/Control_Arm/Kits/ES1843770/

I was reading on an older thread circa 2009 that the 034motorsport kit was incorrect and that RS6's have specific control arms; is this true?

Thanks everyone!

hahnmgh63
November 11th, 2014, 01:36
Either kit will work. All C5 post facelift (Aluminum instead of steel uprights) are the same....except the lower rear RS6 control arm has stiffer bushings. Any will work, whether or not you will be able to tell the difference in a RS6 or A6 bushing difference in the lower rear control arm I doubt it. Also, with that said, the 034 are probably all slightly stiffer than OEM. The ECS is a good kit too as Meyle HD and Lemforder are good brands. Stay away from Febi/Bilstein. You can probably make up your own kit for cheaper than ECS though. Also try www.autohausAZ.com as they carry Meyle HD, that's what I did last time and got all of the bolts from Miramar Audi (Genuineaudiparts.com).

Turbowned
November 11th, 2014, 01:45
Superb. Got a trip to Montreal this weekend and would like to have it done so I don't have to take a creaky, squeaky Audi up there.... or worse still, the louder, rougher and slower (albeit significantly more efficient) Subaru!

zinkwerks
November 11th, 2014, 01:56
Let me check tomorrow and see what I can do for you on the control arms......have a few connections...
Zink

audiprotn
November 11th, 2014, 02:08
I've got Stern, and would totally go with something else next time.

Turbowned
November 17th, 2014, 17:23
Now I see the Meyle HD kit that hahnmgh63 linked from Europaparts... Think there's much difference? 034's kit costs $470+shipping and the Meyle kit is $615 shipped.

http://www.europaparts.com/control-arm-kit-b5-c5-12-piece-4b3498510cmy-meyle.html

EINHORN
November 17th, 2014, 23:43
FCP euro

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-control-arm-kit-front-rs6-meyle-lemforder-rs6cakit

Turbowned
November 17th, 2014, 23:48
That's over $150 more for the same parts...

lswing
November 17th, 2014, 23:51
That's over $150 more for the same parts...

Yea I was wondering the same, not sure if he looked much before posting:vhmmm:

RSoverAll
November 18th, 2014, 03:36
That is a lot more than the Europa stuff but FCP offers a lifetime warranty apparently, not arguing it's worth the extra cost but if you buy them, wear out a set in 50k miles I'm guessing you can send them back and get another warranty set... like Autozone or O Reilly's

Anyone know if I'm correct in thinking this?

marklar182
November 18th, 2014, 13:50
That is a lot more than the Europa stuff but FCP offers a lifetime warranty apparently, not arguing it's worth the extra cost but if you buy them, wear out a set in 50k miles I'm guessing you can send them back and get another warranty set... like Autozone or O Reilly's

Anyone know if I'm correct in thinking this?

With FCP; You order and Pay for a new part, then send your failed part to FCP and they refund your $.

Turbowned
November 18th, 2014, 23:39
That's worth something I suppose. I tend to replace cars before I replace replacement parts, though.

fukinavit
November 18th, 2014, 23:59
How long do you guys get out of the control arms?, I guess its dependant on driving style but generally what kind of mileage can you expect from a set?

hahnmgh63
November 19th, 2014, 00:43
On the RS6 about 40~50K maybe. Most of the same parts are used on the B5 A4's which are a lot lighter than the C5 cars so they wear out fast on the C5 cars. Especially the front upper arms. If you have more than 50K on your suspension, I can almost guarantee you that some of your bushings are torn.

DHall1
November 19th, 2014, 04:41
35 to 40k on upper inners. And we have good roads

Turbowned
November 20th, 2014, 00:25
80k on my car and the roads blow goats out here... It's time. I was hoping I could get away with doing them next year but they started groaning pretty bad all of a sudden a week ago.

Turbowned
December 22nd, 2014, 16:57
Any recommendations on adjustable upper arms? I see Stern and 034Motorsport both offer them. I would like to lower the car more eventually and want to maintain proper suspension geometry.

hahnmgh63
December 22nd, 2014, 17:34
I have KWV3's and the car is definitely lower than stock and I have no problems with Camber.

scottmandu
December 25th, 2014, 18:08
I've used a great number of different brand control arms.. And they all perform the same, it's how long them perform that is the key. I've not gotten more than 20,000 miles out of 034's kit, and their warranty is only a year and if they fail as in my case they will blame it on installer error. The FCP set I used lastest about 25000 miles in an A4, and their warranty at the time required installation by an ASE certified mechanic. The longest lasting kit I installed in a customer's car a few years ago and have over 100K miles on them, and they were TRW's. I've been using Hudson branded arms in the past could year and none have come back, and the highest mileage I've seen with them was 30K on my S6.

Bigglezworth
December 25th, 2014, 18:56
I've used a great number of different brand control arms.. And they all perform the same, it's how long them perform that is the key. I've not gotten more than 20,000 miles out of 034's kit, and their warranty is only a year and if they fail as in my case they will blame it on installer error. The FCP set I used lastest about 25000 miles in an A4, and their warranty at the time required installation by an ASE certified mechanic. The longest lasting kit I installed in a customer's car a few years ago and have over 100K miles on them, and they were TRW's. I've been using Hudson branded arms in the past could year and none have come back, and the highest mileage I've seen with them was 30K on my S6.Logevity is key for sure. For me it's taking the longevity variable, and multipying/dividing by the cost variable. FCP control arms are dirt cheep. TRW and Meyle are expensive. If I can get more time out of 3 replacements of FCP compared to 1 replacement of TRW or Meyle, I do the FCP. From a bushing hardness and performance perspective, they are all similar from what I can tell. One car has Meyle, the other FCP and no discernable difference.

Del Stator
December 25th, 2014, 18:59
Griffin Motorwerke installed Sterns on my RS6. They had issues with 034.

http://www.purems.com/Products/ST-CAKIT01Stern-Adjustable-Upper-Control-Arm-Kit

I didn't put many miles on them though before I sent my car to Scottmandu for more HP... (Advanced Automotion)

Nice to see you around Scotty.. Merry Christmas!!

scottmandu
December 25th, 2014, 19:35
Logevity is key for sure. For me it's taking the longevity variable, and multipying/dividing by the cost variable. FCP control arms are dirt cheep. TRW and Meyle are expensive. If I can get more time out of 3 replacements of FCP compared to 1 replacement of TRW or Meyle, I do the FCP. From a bushing hardness and performance perspective, they are all similar from what I can tell. One car has Meyle, the other FCP and no discernable difference.

True, if your a do it yourselfer, however if you have to pay someone to replace the arms then you have to add labor into the mix and you will not come out ahead buying dirt cheap arms and constantly replacing them. You also have to factor in the cost of an alignment per arm replacement, and your time as time is certainly worth something.

4everRS
December 25th, 2014, 23:27
I do my own replacements on these, and only use oem quality. It's just sort of a pain in the ass to do. It's not really hard, I just have better things to do with a Saturday afternoon.

Bigglezworth
December 26th, 2014, 02:05
True, if your a do it yourselfer, however if you have to pay someone to replace the arms then you have to add labor into the mix and you will not come out ahead buying dirt cheap arms and constantly replacing them. You also have to factor in the cost of an alignment per arm replacement, and your time as time is certainly worth something.Agreed. It is one of the easier parts to do for general maintenance though aside from brakes or oil changes. Hell, even changing the fluid on the tranny requires more tools and knowledge. lol. As for alighment, Macpherson strut + double wishbone suspension = no caster or camber adjustability. Unless you're doing tie rods, there's nothing to align with control arm replacement.

audiprotn
April 3rd, 2015, 15:28
Bump,
Needing to replace all four lower control arms in the front.
Just a need a part confirmation:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Suspension/Control_Arm/ES1843769/ (2 of them, since they are the same)
and http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Suspension/Control_Arm/ES780/ + http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Suspension/Control_Arm/ES2562531/

is that right?
Thanks