PDA

View Full Version : The SWAP BEGINS! Hoping for 650-700 hp and 700 trq

N_Stamp
October 23rd, 2014, 21:21
So I finally got the funds set up to start the build, I will be doing full meth 100% followed but a fill Tial 770 swap along with some fueling and a whole lot of other here and there parts :) Super stoked :revs::revs::revs:

MaxRS6
October 23rd, 2014, 23:10
Woot!!! Good luck and I look forward to the updates

ttboost
October 24th, 2014, 01:06
What swap begins? Engine swap? Turbo swap? Whatever you're swapping, better start shopping for a clutch.

Avus-RS6
October 24th, 2014, 01:53
Congrats! I'm sure AMD has the clutch for the job. ;-) I'm assuming your target figures are AWHP and AWTQ, not crank?

Korben007
October 24th, 2014, 05:13
In for information

lswing
October 24th, 2014, 15:53
I'd consider running 51/49 water meth for a few reasons. Not flammable, better cooling with water, lower cost, easier to deal with. Reading up on what the Buick guys have studied for years, you will get a bit more power with 100% meth, but that becomes debatable under very high temps, like what we experience. Assume you'll go with a trunk mount tank in the sides? I really like my 2.5 gallon setup with small battery in place of the large stock battery. Only have to fill a few times a year, easy to deal with and accessible. Any thing else in the engine compartment seems like a bad idea, especially if you're going 100% meth, the high temps can cause boiling and other problems, again, it's flammable.

You should post just what is being upgraded besides the turbos. Fuel pump(s), rails, injectors (what kind as this will be a must), tune obviously by AMD.

If you're going this far I'd really look at custom manifolds, that is the main bottle neck at this point. I've been reading about pre turbo water spray also for cooling, you could run two systems:)

Del Stator
October 24th, 2014, 16:06
Sounds like we are on a similar path. I am also considering the Tial 770...as well as a couple other turbos. I have the six speed going in and having custom headers being made.

I was running 100% methanol and really liked it. I think I am going to stay.

Good luck!! Definitely a project of emotion.....it doesn't make much sense otherwise!! :thumb:

ttboost
October 24th, 2014, 16:18
I ran 100% meth on my 996 turbo. Picked up a TON of power and the consistency was otherworldly. Without Meth, on a hot, or even a warm day, I could run 4 or 5 60-130's and consistently run a few tenths slower every run. With the meth, 4 or 5 runs were usually within hundredths of each other..barring traction issues, etc...100% methanol can give you anywhere from 25whp to 80whp depending on how aggressive you want to get with your tune. I chose the latter as it was cheap power. Ran like that for 2 years.

Avus-RS6
October 24th, 2014, 16:29
Bunch of meth heads on this forum, which makes sense given we're all HP junkies.

Del Stator
October 24th, 2014, 18:36
Tony of EPL was the one that recommended 100%. He was very pleased to know I was running 100%. I don't remember the exact reason but something about what the water can potentially do the engine. But as far as performance it was a really good thing.

I will send him a question to him for his reasoning....don't expect a quick answer... ;)

ttboost
October 24th, 2014, 18:47
Tony of EPL was the one that recommended 100%. He was very pleased to know I was running 100%. I don't remember the exact reason but something about what the water can potentially do the engine. But as far as performance it was a really good thing.

I will send him a question to him for his reasoning....don't expect a quick answer... ;)

Tony and I worked long and hard to perfect the performance of my 996 turbo. That car REALLY good for the minimal amount of parts on it.

Avus-RS6
October 24th, 2014, 18:59
My track car had 50/50 meth injection, less flamability and good for evaporative cooling and octane boost. My RS6 will never see a track in anger, and is therefore spraying 100% meth and I couldn't be happier.

Turbowned
October 24th, 2014, 23:50
This is gonna be awesome! Now be a good forum user and document it all well for us! Too many cool cars on here with no build threads :(

N_Stamp
November 3rd, 2014, 09:16
Ok guys! I will be documenting from day 1 as soon as parts are in and we begin!

DNB01A64.2
November 4th, 2014, 04:26
Subscribed for greatness!!

RS8
November 5th, 2014, 22:48
Where can I buy Methanol Injection for RS6 engine ?

Are there different brands? and are there any brands I should avoid?

lswing
November 7th, 2014, 16:08
Devils Own has been solid, nice and simple.

ttboost
November 7th, 2014, 16:09
Where can I buy Methanol Injection for RS6 engine ?

Are there different brands? and are there any brands I should avoid?
Some here use Devils Own, AEM. There might be a few more out there...I only use Aquamist. Don't buy it based on cost, buy it based on the amount and quality of safety's they provide. Don't sacrifice your engine for a couple hundred bucks...

Bigglezworth
November 7th, 2014, 19:23
some here use devils own, aem. There might be a few more out there...i only use aquamist. Don't buy it based on cost, buy it based on the amount and quality of safety's they provide. Don't sacrifice your engine for a couple hundred bucks...ditto...

Avus-RS6
November 7th, 2014, 19:34
Some here use Devils Own, AEM. There might be a few more out there...I only use Aquamist. Don't buy it based on cost, buy it based on the amount and quality of safety's they provide. Don't sacrifice your engine for a couple hundred bucks...

I second this.

Del Stator
November 8th, 2014, 02:21
Aquamist here....satisfied.

RS8
November 8th, 2014, 15:38
But what is the difference on them?
Does Aquamist have something that Devlis Own don't have ?

And I think 1 nozzle before throttle will be best for me.

Spcl Sauce
November 9th, 2014, 14:03
Aquamist!

RS8
November 9th, 2014, 17:55
But my question is why is Aquamist better ??

lswing
November 11th, 2014, 20:49
But what is the difference on them?
Does Aquamist have something that Devlis Own don't have ?

And I think 1 nozzle before throttle will be best for me.

I think Aquamist has some additional computer monitoring to make sure you're spraying. The gauge for Devils Own is simple, but still tells you if it's working. Personally I have mine tucked away. It depends how on the edge your tune is, some tunes depend on that wm spray to avoid engine problems, for me it's just a slight performance boost.

RS8
November 14th, 2014, 18:04
So I finally got the funds set up to start the build, I will be doing full meth 100% followed but a fill Tial 770 swap along with some fueling and a whole lot of other here and there parts :) Super stoked :revs::revs::revs:

Why do you want to run with 100% meth ?

I have found this information from 2 guys:

you don't want to run straight methanol for a variety of reasons:
1)you are losing the cooling effect of the water - the latent heat of evaporation (cooling of the intake charge and combustion chamber) is more potent using water since it can absorb and hold more heat than methanol
2)straight methanol is very caustic and can erode the components in your fuel system - fuel pump, sending units, injectors
most folks run somewhere between a 50:50 and 25:75 mixture of methanol:water
Yeah I remeber when I tryed tuning using 100% meth and noticed much higher boost temps and get knock much easier than with some water mixed in

Avus-RS6
November 14th, 2014, 18:33
Who are these two guys and have they dyno tuned hundreds of twin turbo audi's using methanol injection? Back to back tunes on the same car using 50/50 versus 100% methanol injection?

AMD has, and they can run more boost, timing and hence more power with the octane added with 100% methanol versus 50/50. Don't get me wrong, 50/50 is great for a track car or if you live where it gets hot. 100% meth is for big HP/Tq highway monsters where you're not full throttle for 20 minutes at a time as on track. It's pretty proven that you can squeeze more power out of these engines with 100% meth injection versus 50/50. Plus, the meth does not go through the fuel system per se, it is sprayed in the intake up pipes and sucked (blown) up the air stream through the throttle body so it doesn't go through the fuel system injectors, solenoids or fuel pump for that matter. For a second car (as is the case for me) I wanted the wick turned up and 100% methanol was the trick. I for one can't wait to see the results, 770's on a stock block RS6 should be phenomenal.

RS8
November 14th, 2014, 18:41
It was on a Porsche forum.

But I use my RS8 on the track more than on the street.

But also found this company that say that all other manufactures use bad/wrong pump for water/meth?? :

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html#rsrpump

RS8
November 14th, 2014, 18:51
Differences:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/compare-4.gif

lswing
November 14th, 2014, 18:58
Who are these two guys and have they dyno tuned hundreds of twin turbo audi's using methanol injection? Back to back tunes on the same car using 50/50 versus 100% methanol injection?

AMD has, and they can run more boost, timing and hence more power with the octane added with 100% methanol versus 50/50. Don't get me wrong, 50/50 is great for a track car or if you live where it gets hot. 100% meth is for big HP/Tq highway monsters where you're not full throttle for 20 minutes at a time as on track. It's pretty proven that you can squeeze more power out of these engines with 100% meth injection versus 50/50. Plus, the meth does not go through the fuel system per se, it is sprayed in the intake up pipes and sucked (blown) up the air stream through the throttle body so it doesn't go through the fuel system injectors, solenoids or fuel pump for that matter. For a second car (as is the case for me) I wanted the wick turned up and 100% methanol was the trick. I for one can't wait to see the results, 770's on a stock block RS6 should be phenomenal.

You can read miles and miles of posts from the Buick turbo boosted drag guys....small gains with full meth, some trade offs. I think more people like to say they run 100%, but in most real world driving you might as just run 50/50. Sure 100% will get you 1-2% more power overall, but having another flammable liquid on board along with lack of cooling doesn't make sense to me, each to their own!

N_Stamp
November 14th, 2014, 19:08
I will be selling my complete devils own meth kit once it gets pulled if anyone is interested. Parts should be in hopefully very soon!

Avus-RS6
November 14th, 2014, 19:34
You can read miles and miles of posts from the Buick turbo boosted drag guys....small gains with full meth, some trade offs. I think more people like to say they run 100%, but in most real world driving you might as just run 50/50. Sure 100% will get you 1-2% more power overall, but having another flammable liquid on board along with lack of cooling doesn't make sense to me, each to their own!

I hear you. Personally, I like not having to mix 50/50 and also not having to up size the primary fuel injectors to make over 500awhp and 600awtq. If I drove the car more such that the cost of methanol became an issue, or tracked my RS6 it at all (worst idea in the world BTW), I would be running 50/50 or lower.

lswing
November 14th, 2014, 20:12
I've been buying the mix 51w/49m, then add a shot of washer fluid for coloring so I can see the level better. http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/premixed-methanol/125-devilsown-brew.html

The RS6 can actually be fairly capable on a track, heavy car for sure, but plenty of power to play with. What turbos did you go with, stock manifolds? Nice power output for sure, does AMD use a Dynojet or Mustang?

Avus-RS6
November 14th, 2014, 20:48
Mustang MD500 dyno. Turbo's are RS6 K04 Turbos, Blouch Built, New CHRA's with Billet 2283 compressor, clipped turbine wheels, K03/04 wastegates. Stock mani's.

I tracked my prior RS6 a few sessions, chipped with auto trans. Fast and fun and fairly capable, but not ideal. Essentially it boils down to being a $1,000 + per day track day car the way I like to drive, not including sign up fee. You have to pay to play... which is why I prefer lighter cars for track duty.

RS8
November 15th, 2014, 08:15
How loud is the pump?
Is aquamist quieter than the others?

I'll have it in my luggage but I drive without the rear seat in my RS8 so therefore I wonder?

And this company says that all other pumps is very noisy:

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html#rsrpump