PDA

View Full Version : SAI question, leak

lswing
October 20th, 2014, 18:26
So after the work last month, shop mentioned the hoses/sai being in the way was a pain. Sure enough got a leak, codes for air flow, but no CEL as I cleared them. Just makes that cool whiring jet engine sound when starting, then calms after a minute.

Shop said they would look at it for free, hopefully fix hose or connection.

Anyhow, any thing that is bad about just leaving it for a while?

I understand it's just there for extra air during cold starts?

ianh755
October 20th, 2014, 21:01
Yeap, from what I've read it stays on just until the exhaust heats up slightly so approx 1-2 minutes at the very most.

lswing
October 20th, 2014, 21:13
Yeap, from what I've read it stays on just until the exhaust heats up slightly so approx 1-2 minutes at the very most.

Right on, thank you. I've read a bit on it, just wanting to confirm I'm not risking anything. Guessing they'll have to pull the airbox off to get back there.

I think it might get down to 50 degrees F this winter, so not much of an issue:)

hahnmgh63
October 21st, 2014, 02:32
The SAI system is just a fancy name for the old Air Injection System from the 70's and early 80's. Just doesn't work as long and uses and electric Air Compressor instead of engine run. Injects the air through one-way valves into a port in the back of the head which has passages off of it that go into each exhaust port in the head. Just runs for about 1 minute after a cold start to help the first set of Cats use the extra Air (20% O2) to light off faster and burn the extra fuel being used for cold start driveability.

RSoverAll
October 21st, 2014, 05:38
I would think most tuned guys would have their tuner code out the SAI and completely remove the rest of the system, plug the cavities on the heads with block off plates I believe that's all, you're SAI free from there.

hahnmgh63
October 21st, 2014, 13:47
RSoverAll it is true that the SAI system is really a waste, a scam to get by EPA rules as the amount of emissions it cuts down for the cost and complexity of the parts involved is truly a shame. The system only works for about 1 minute on a cold start-up and that is it for the most part. But we get all of these parts and weight added. Hoses to leak, valves to fail, electric pumps to fail, all for a minuscule amount of emissions savings. It would behoove the EPA to change their cycle and ask the manufacturers to look spend the money elsewhere as it is a great cost waste.
I did use the 034 2.7t Blockoff plates when I pulled my engine a couple of years ago and had it tuned out of the software but many of the tunes don't include it or it isn't available from the tuner.
BTW, I have all of the SAI system to include a good electric Air Pump if anyone wants to make an offer on all or part???

lswing
October 21st, 2014, 14:37
Thanks to everyone for the information. I know this was discussed a while back, just wanted a refresh and confirmation.

My tune is off the shelf Revo unfortunately, so no option to code out, or I would have pulled the SAI system when we did the cam adjusters last month.

I might switch to a new tune someday here, APR is on sale right now. I've got this Revo tune dialed in better than ever with updated fuel trims using an ME7 interface.

I'll keep that extra SAI in mind, thanks. My guess is they just cracked a hose or one is loose.

Beardown1
October 22nd, 2014, 17:22
I deleted most of mine a few months back (just fabbed up some block off plates where the combi valves were.) Removed the pump and all of the lines/hoses I could get to with the engine in place. Left the solenoid electrically plugged in and looped the solenoid vacuum hose from one port to the other (I think hahnmgh63 came up with that first.) Not one code after a few months and many miles. :0:

lswing
October 22nd, 2014, 17:40
Thanks! I'll need to keep that in mind. I'm going to assume the car might not pass emissions with SAI removed, if that's why it was put on?

zinkwerks
October 22nd, 2014, 18:18
Ill have some secondary air parts for you very soon :) we won't be using them for the truck

P1054
October 22nd, 2014, 21:31
I've got all of my SAI parts available if anyone is interested. Everything worked great when I pulled it off. I did the same as beardown, just looped the solenoid with a short piece of vacuum line, no codes in 6 months.

DHall1
October 23rd, 2014, 03:02
Someone please start a new thread with the diy on the vac loop. It would be a great resource for all of us when the time comes

I will never live where emission testing is mandatory.

hahnmgh63
October 23rd, 2014, 05:07
I originally looped the SAI solenoid but after getting it coded out I was able to remove it also. lswing, hey Lou, back to your original problem with the tensioners. I just had a friend over to my shop with his wifes 335ix and he had a VANOS (variable cam timing just like Audi) faults (exhaust came). The fix for BMW is to just replace the solenoids and they look almost identical to the Audi ones. Yes they do have plastic (phenolic) guides down inside but if it isn't a high mileage engine they just say do the Solenoids. Audi themselves don't sell the Solenoids separately like BMW does but those ones from ECS would do the trick. But if I ever pull the engine again I'll do the whole thing if I get many more miles on it.....or I end up doing the 6sp swap that I'm thinking about more and more all the time.