PDA

View Full Version : Turn Key Manual Transmission Installation

essexmetal
October 9th, 2014, 19:12
I have seen mention from time to time in different posts of someone who does manual transmission conversions and maybe the same one offers a complete conversion kit. Anyone have input one either having someone covert the car or a DIY complete kit ?

Even though the auto trans only has 12,000 miles on it I need to give the car some more sport. I purchased it already chipped at 515 but will probably bump it up a bit more. Only a weekend car not a DD so an auto for traffic is not required.

Regards,
Rick

ben916
October 9th, 2014, 20:57
Define "Turn Key".

Do you mean "Here is my RS6, I will be back with a $8-10K check in 7 days" kinda thing?
Do you mean "Hey Scotty, I need a diesel O1E and associated equipment and ship it to my house. Hey AMD in Redmond, WA, I need my RS6 ECU tuned for 6 speed and, and, and and ship it next day air back to my house"

Inquiring minds want to know...

Bigglezworth
October 9th, 2014, 23:21
There isn't a '6spd Kit'. There is a '6spd Swap Kit' which includes items such as adapter plate, starter, & custom flywheel. To date all those converting have needed to include their own tranny, axles, drive shaft, shifter linkage, clutch, slave cylinder, brake booster, ECU tune, etc. I believe I saw a post some time back where board member 'SteveKen' would perform the 'swap' for a set price. You can contact him about performing things.

essexmetal
October 10th, 2014, 01:33
Ben916, yes to both. If there is someone that can pull together the parts and install them for a for a fee I consider that turn key. If no one is doing that then the next best thing is to have someone assemble a "swap kit" and I would do the install in our shop. I have the capabilities and facility to do the swap. I also understand that someone that has preformed this swap before can move though the job with far greater efficiency. I look to this to be a destination project not a journey project. I have other builds that fall under the "its the journey not the destination" category. Let see how things transpire.
Rick

Bigglezworth
October 10th, 2014, 02:36
Ben916, yes to both. If there is someone that can pull together the parts and install them for a for a fee I consider that turn key. If no one is doing that then the next best thing is to have someone assemble a "swap kit" and I would do the install in our shop. I have the capabilities and facility to do the swap. I also understand that someone that has preformed this swap before can move though the job with far greater efficiency. I look to this to be a destination project not a journey project. I have other builds that fall under the "its the journey not the destination" category. Let see how things transpire.
Rick

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21330-FOR-SALE-(finally)-6-Speed-01E-Adapter-Kit-for-the-C5-RS6?highlight=swap+kit

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22631-Manual-Conversion-Thread-RS6-with-01E?highlight=swap+kit

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25661-S6-conversion-to-RS6?highlight=swap+kit

ttboost
October 10th, 2014, 13:26
If you have the gift of forethought, and you have EVERYTHING you need to do the swap, it can be done in a weekend. The problem is, you never know what you will find once you start digging in. Mine ended up being about a weekend, a week of nights and another weekend, because I changed my mind about turbos and wastegates, etc...I would plan on not having the car for a week or so, provided you get no big surprises...

SteveKen
October 10th, 2014, 18:33
Send it on over to me with $10k deposit.

I'll have it done in 3-4 weeks a refund of up to $2k depending on what incidentals were needed during the install.