PDA

View Full Version : Who's replaced cam adjusters, full engine pull or service position possible?

lswing
September 24th, 2014, 19:23
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with the replacement, specifically passenger side cam adjuster which is harder to get to. How tough was it to accomplish if possible in service position, 20-30 hours?

Bigglezworth
September 24th, 2014, 19:41
Can't be that many hours. Would certainly believe the work can be done from above without having to remove the head itself. Would also believe it could be performed without putting the front clip into service position. So, fighting with the valve cover for a couple of hours as part of the R&R plus time to do the cam work. Skilled mechanic a full day?

lswing
September 24th, 2014, 20:13
Can't be that many hours. Would certainly believe the work can be done from above without having to remove the head itself. Would also believe it could be performed without putting the front clip into service position. So, fighting with the valve cover for a couple of hours as part of the R&R plus time to do the cam work. Skilled mechanic a full day?

Thanks, I'll ship you my car next time:)

Confirmed that it should be around 10-15 hours like A6 4.2L, just a few more things to deal with. Correction, it's drivers side so no coolant hose to deal with like on passenger side. Cam adjuster is brutal at $820, yikes. Leaving the other one alone and hoping it lasts a while, or at least until my timing belt is due in 15k....

Anything else we should mess with while the front is open?

mik15
September 24th, 2014, 20:26
it is $634 on ecstuning, i've looked for it and they have the best price i could find....but i don't think it can be done without service position...the passenger side is a bitch, not sure if engine pull is required, but thank God mine is also driver side....

DHall1
September 24th, 2014, 21:26
I have 2 perfect cam adjusters from 5 8k mile engine. I would do both with new timing belt

MaxRS6
September 24th, 2014, 22:10
+1- Bite bullet- Do timing job and both.

lswing
September 24th, 2014, 22:33
You guys are killing me (but I appreciate the input)...gonna roll the dice on this one, here's my thinking.

Timing belt was done 17k ago, along with usual parts, not sure of belt brand or upper rollers, but think they got them looking at paperwork.

Shop wants another 3-6 hours to do pass cam adjuster as it requires removing the coolant hose and a few other things.

With my low driving of 3-5k per year it should hold for a while, should, better, hope so, probably will....

lswing
September 25th, 2014, 02:09
Well that was ugly, gory details below. Plastic foot gone and sheared into bits, chain rubbing on metal guide where plastic foot was. Parts of plastic fished out of cylinder head, oy!

Bigglezworth
September 25th, 2014, 02:27
Yuck. That will produce some rattling for sure. Yuck

MaxRS6
September 25th, 2014, 02:42
At least no major damage and it appears you will have it back up soon- Congrats!

DHall1
September 25th, 2014, 03:52
The other side is not far behind

lswing
September 25th, 2014, 04:09
The other side is not far behind

Other side getting replaced now too, arghh! Another ~$1,200.

Assuming these are trashed more due to the hot running Revo tune for years. But also at 98,640k miles so she's been around...

mik15
September 25th, 2014, 05:10
you should do an oil change as well as bits of plastic are now floating through the engine....i am not sure if it is the mileage that got them to break down, mine and a friend's of mine are both at around 147k miles still on original cam adjusters, i think it has more to do maybe with oil and running temperatures, as you said...

btw - the guides can be replaced separately, i saw a thread on audizine...

so there is no engine pull for neither of the cams?

Dhall - "I have 2 perfect cam adjusters from 5 8k mile engine. I would do both with new timing belt" - do you wanna sell it? i might be interested.

lswing
September 25th, 2014, 05:30
Drivers side no pull, they had it open and apart in an afternoon. Pass hoping not, they mentioned coolant pipe in the way, few other things. Hoping another 4-6 hours to replace pass side.

From what I saw it's wear on the plastic, heat and stress. Good point on the oil. Well ripping this thing apart every 6 months keeps the oil fresh at least...

DHall1
September 25th, 2014, 05:55
That coolant pipe can be bent out of the way.

They should have this in service position with the timing belt off. At least run over there and feel all the rollers. Replace the top 2 just to be safe because your 75k is not clear on replacing those.

Mik....i had no idea these were so $$$. I have to keep them because i own 3 of these contraptions and live in hot AZ.

Drivers side no pull, they had it open and apart in an afternoon. Pass hoping not, they mentioned coolant pipe in the way, few other things. Hoping another 4-6 hours to replace pass side.

From what I saw it's wear on the plastic, heat and stress. Good point on the oil. Well ripping this thing apart every 6 months keeps the oil fresh at least...

Bigglezworth
September 25th, 2014, 06:44
Cam adjuster is brutal at $820, yikes. $250 skins new.... (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-VW-4-2-Camshaft-Adjuster-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-SOLENOID-RIGHT-077109088P-/161116461892?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25834a1b44&vxp=mtr)

Half that used.... (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-2-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-LEFT-077-109-087-C-Audi-A6-A8-VW-Phaeton-Touareg-/300953943223?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461240bcb7&vxp=mtr)

DHall1
September 25th, 2014, 06:48
China pops

No thanks

mik15
September 25th, 2014, 06:48
yeah, but that's China made....wouldn't really want to take a chance with it...don't know what to say about it...

lswing
September 25th, 2014, 14:09
The ECS price at $635 seems too good to be true...just using what they have locally from Audi as the car is open and needs parts now.

lswing
September 30th, 2014, 20:10
She's back on the road. 21 hours later. Service position the whole time. New valve cover and cam gaskets, new cam adjusters, new upper TB rollers, bam! More pics of adjuster guides later, wearing down for sure...

lswing
September 30th, 2014, 20:16
At least run over there and feel all the rollers. Replace the top 2 just to be safe because your 75k is not clear on replacing those.

Somebody get this man a fried chicken dinner...one roller was very wobbly, would have been toast in 5-10k I would assume, other roller was good.

Timing belt change at 80k was done by previous owner, hence me not knowing about the upper rollers being replaced, guessing they weren't, although one was ok. $122 a piece...

mik15
September 30th, 2014, 20:23
well done, good thing is that she's back now stronger than before :addict:

DHall1
October 1st, 2014, 00:20
Glad to help. I love it when the crystal ball is working. We need it with these cars.

lswing
October 1st, 2014, 01:51
Of course now I'm wondering if I should have just replaced the plastic guides for maybe $75 a set, rest of the assembly could be fine for another 100k. Hmmm....more new parts at least!

On Fleabay....http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141341795532?lpid=82

Searching for OEM. Think I might clean these up and sell them...

Zorb
October 1st, 2014, 02:11
Gates guide rollers $55 per @ rock auto.

Lots of kits only include one roller.

hahnmgh63
October 1st, 2014, 04:30
As for Gates I do think their Racing timing belt is a masterpiece. Probably better material, a pretty Blue, and a touch thicker & wider but.... I purchased a Gates timing belt kit for my girlfriends A8 this past summer and half of the Bearings were Korean and the Water pump was Chinese, a crappy knockoff casting too. I returned the whole kit and bought OEM except for a Racing timing belt (Gates) which wasn't part of the kit anyways.

lswing
October 1st, 2014, 05:01
Yea, would have liked more time to source parts, just in a hurry so cost a few extra $.

For sure would just replace the plastic guides next time. Will post pics, but one of the intact ones is getting severe pitting, not just chain guide wear. Would have lasted another 10-20k I bet...

Zorb
October 1st, 2014, 05:51
All of my hardware was made in Japan except the belt and eccentric tensioner.

lswing
October 1st, 2014, 16:10
F#$k....wish the shop would have brought this up. I mean it's nice to have a complete new adjuster and all, but this part could conceivably have gone for another 100k with $80 of plastic snapped on. At least someone on here will learn from this I hope!:)

As mentioned, putting new OEM plastic pads on my used cam tension adjusters and selling. Closest looking to OEM I can find, part number for 4.2L fit is correct, will make some phone calls.

http://www.urotuning.com/Cam-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-Guide-Rail-Kit-1-8T-p/18T_Chain_Guide_Kit.htm?gclid=CPLzytrci8ECFehDMgod 3WQA8A

fbatwork
October 3rd, 2014, 01:23
It would be interesting to see if the guides shown actually fit - When I was looking nothing that I found was as long as what is in ours. Lots available that "looked like the shoe would work but none that was the proper size - personally I wasn't willing to put the "theory" to test...

lswing
October 3rd, 2014, 01:57
It would be interesting to see if the guides shown actually fit - When I was looking nothing that I found was as long as what is in ours. Lots available that "looked like the shoe would work but none that was the proper size - personally I wasn't willing to put the "theory" to test...

Interesting to hear. I'll get in touch with an Audi parts dealer and see what they send. Part of me is glad to have new parts, part of me misses my $1,500...thanks for the input!