PDA

View Full Version : Transmission and TQ question

Rustic
September 24th, 2014, 04:48
Which would you choose for a transmission; an early VIN 58k unknown history or late VIN 125k that has never have a problem? And with either install would you go with an ACE or a 517 TQ. And does anyone have contact info for ACE? I see a bunch of links on the forum but they all seem dead like the site is down.

Thanks

mik15
September 24th, 2014, 05:18
i'd take the 125k if it has a comprehensive service history. However, if the 58k one does pass a thorough inspection and you can get it for a low price that would also be a good choice, but usually without a service history means probably that the car has had a few owners and all beat it up and none has done a proper maintenance on it... as for transmissions, i'd go for 517, it is the most expensive one but seems to be the best one around too.

lswing
September 24th, 2014, 05:49
I'd worry about both...well worry much more if you're tuned. TC from either, or even new Audi. It's that $3-6k trans you need to worry about, and just replace it if you're spending on labor to do the TC, save a few $...

DHall1
September 24th, 2014, 06:23
The best route

1. Have your late vin trans gone thru by Tozo and install new TC

Or

2. Install ace TC in your late vin trans andcross fingers

I guess if the early vin unit is coming with the engine....put a new TC in and give it a shot.

Keep that late vin trans around

Which would you choose for a transmission; an early VIN 58k unknown history or late VIN 125k that has never have a problem? And with either install would you go with an ACE or a 517 TQ. And does anyone have contact info for ACE? I see a bunch of links on the forum but they all seem dead like the site is down.

Thanks