PDA

View Full Version : Another visit to the drag strip, different ecu flash

Ringlord
September 24th, 2014, 02:25
Last year, I dragged the RS at the local 1/4 mile track and got a best of 12.7 at 108. This was with gutted cats and unitronic software, which was already flashed by the previous owner.
This year, all I did was send my ecu to Marc and what a difference! Ran two consecutive 12.1 at 113 and 112 respectively. The launches were incredible as well.
This car has stock intercoolers, and pump fuel.

What I love most about Marc's tune, it's very consistent. With the unitronic, the extra boost heat soaked the intercoolers and the car for slower and slower by each run.

hahnmgh63
September 24th, 2014, 03:32
Congrats. So far I've heard no negatives about Marc's tune. Would love to see some VAG logs 3, 31, 115 to see how it compares to some others if you get the chance.

RSoverAll
September 24th, 2014, 03:37
The time slip is waaay blurry.

But a difference of over half a second and 5 mph trap on just a tune? Damn.

Good job!

twinsteve
September 27th, 2014, 13:23
Last year, I dragged the RS at the local 1/4 mile track and got a best of 12.7 at 108. This was with gutted cats and unitronic software, which was already flashed by the previous owner.
This year, all I did was send my ecu to Marc and what a difference! Ran two consecutive 12.1 at 113 and 112 respectively. The launches were incredible as well.

What I love most about Marc's tune, it's very consistent. With the unitronic, the extra boost heat soaked the intercoolers and the car for slower and slower by each run.

Sorry for the semi-thread jack, but has anyone run an RS6 in any of the 1/2 Mile or Mile speed events that are popping up all over the country? I am a former RS6 owner and now have a 2013 TT-RS....just ran mine at the Georgia 1/2 Mile Shoot-Out...totally stock...did 130mph, with probably leaving 5 mph on the table with conservative launch and shifting points

Really curious what an RS6 would do in a 1/2 mile!

lswing
September 27th, 2014, 16:54
Congrats. So far I've heard no negatives about Marc's tune. Would love to see some VAG logs 3, 31, 115 to see how it compares to some others if you get the chance.

Its a fast tune, but nobody has ever posted logs detailing just how hot/lean it's running, would be interesting to see boost, timing, egt as mentioned.

DHall1
September 27th, 2014, 17:30
Well running 6 with a tune....170 in the mile

twinsteve
September 28th, 2014, 02:29
Well running 6 with a tune....170 in the mile

rough guess on first 1/2 mile?

JSRS6
September 28th, 2014, 13:08
I did a best of 130 in the half during a hot day in the summer in the Florida panhandle at a half mile event. I also drove straight to the event and got in line. So there was definitely heat soak. I have done a standing mile on a deserted strip of highway in florida and Dave is right, both runs I was right around 170.

makaveli42
September 28th, 2014, 19:31
12.1?!? What's the DA Pressure there? I have vipers tune, straight piped from the turbos back and fastest I ran was a 12.8 with a 2.1 60' at 2800 DA. Can't launch this turd to save my life, even with left foot braking! I have an intake and meth kit is getting installed as we speak! Gonna go to the track Oct. 18th and see what happens. Might run some logs and send to viper to see if there's anything else he can do. I want Marc's tune but no one has posted logs and the one guy I've talked to with it had to run logs and send it back a handful of times in order to it running ok.

shamierc
September 29th, 2014, 09:15

Contact details for marc if possible?

lswing
September 29th, 2014, 11:36
12.1?!? What's the DA Pressure there? I have vipers tune, straight piped from the turbos back and fastest I ran was a 12.8 with a 2.1 60' at 2800 DA. Can't launch this turd to save my life, even with left foot braking! I have an intake and meth kit is getting installed as we speak! Gonna go to the track Oct. 18th and see what happens. Might run some logs and send to viper to see if there's anything else he can do. I want Marc's tune but no one has posted logs and the one guy I've talked to with it had to run logs and send it back a handful of times in order to it running ok.

Viper could be a safer more conservative tune. There may also be some mechanical weaknesses on your car, maybe...plus elevation and heat will make a difference. Have you logged data or got on a Dyno?

makaveli42
September 29th, 2014, 21:47
Viper could be a safer more conservative tune. There may also be some mechanical weaknesses on your car, maybe...plus elevation and heat
will make a difference. Have you logged data or got on a Dyno?

Havent logged in about a year, dyno'd on an AWD dyno jet last year and for 438hp with straight piped exhaust and viper tune. Gonna log and dyno again after meth kit is finished. All my seals have been checked, IC hoses replaced and ICs resealed about 18 months ago.

lswing
September 29th, 2014, 23:06
Havent logged in about a year, dyno'd on an AWD dyno jet last year and for 438hp with straight piped exhaust and viper tune. Gonna log and dyno again after meth kit is finished. All my seals have been checked, IC hoses replaced and ICs resealed about 18 months ago.

Sounds solid. Not sure if the meth kit will give you any more power until you turn up the tune, ecu might adjust a bit and hold the power better. Intake seems a mixed bag, but it's cool to have a unique one. Watch that there trans now that your power is getting better...

Really any drag times should come with elevation and temperature, temp is just a huge difference.

Ringlord
October 5th, 2014, 13:40
Hey guys,sorry about the late reply. I'll get some logs this week. Any particular gear?
It was quite cool that night, I'm sure that helps, since I have stock intercoolers...it was around 12 degrees Celsius. Elevation is about 271' at that track.
Sorry,not sure what DA is?
Makaveli, my 60ft times were 1.7 and 1.69...huge difference over your 2.1. That alone can make all the difference...
BTW, I never sent logs back to marc, it was perfect as is. I had initially logged to make sure its safe, but don't have those logs anymore. I can tell you it runs less boost than the uni flash did. Marc's tune runs about 15lbs, while unitronic ran 18.

Ringlord
October 5th, 2014, 13:58
Never got to post the vid on YouTube, but its on a Facebook page...here's the link, just scroll down a bit. You can also see more clear time slip pics.
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=217443754941251

DHall1
October 5th, 2014, 15:39
3,31,115 in turbo mode

3rd gear pull from 2800rpm to redline

UrS6
October 5th, 2014, 22:54

which Marc is this? I just had Marc tune my 6 speed conversion-stock otherwise- and got 466/525 atw on his dyno.

4everRS
October 7th, 2014, 03:12
Subscribed to this thread. I am extremely interested in seeing the logs

makaveli42
October 7th, 2014, 03:35
Hey guys,sorry about the late reply. I'll get some logs this week. Any particular gear?
It was quite cool that night, I'm sure that helps, since I have stock intercoolers...it was around 12 degrees Celsius. Elevation is about 271' at that track.
Sorry,not sure what DA is?
Makaveli, my 60ft times were 1.7 and 1.69...huge difference over your 2.1. That alone can make all the difference...
BTW, I never sent logs back to marc, it was perfect as is. I had initially logged to make sure its safe, but don't have those logs anymore. I can tell you it runs less boost than the uni flash did. Marc's tune runs about 15lbs, while unitronic ran 18.

Did you launch with the left foot braking? Viper added that in my tune and the car will start to pull a tad and then when I let go of the brake it still launches like a big turd! Even tried the duck rat foot thing! A 1.69 60' would put me right there with Ya I think!

makaveli42
October 7th, 2014, 03:38
which Marc is this? I just had Marc tune my 6 speed conversion-stock otherwise- and got 466/525 atw on his dyno.

10secS4 Marc...I'd love his tune! Just haven't seen logs on it and two people have had tk resend the ECU a few times to fine tune it, which honestly is great that he does that and gets it perfect...just can't do without my ride from time to time messing around to get it prefect! I also hate you for the 6dp ;0)

lswing
October 7th, 2014, 04:01
Subscribed to this thread. I am extremely interested in seeing the logs

I've been asking Marc and others for about two years now, nothing. I figure he tells people to not show numbers, or folks don't really care to share with the community. Still not convinced he's doing anything more than using some off the shelf software and changing the fuel/timing/boost. IF he's actually changing those numbers every 100 rpm or based on load I haven't seen much info. His advice on more timing and less boost is good, I adjusted accordingly and the car pulls hard, doesn't spin out of boost and heat up as much.

Makaveli, heat makes a world of difference, go do some runs when it's 40-60 degrees:)

I'll try and get to the strip this winter when it's below 70...

Bigglezworth
October 7th, 2014, 23:32
Aside from Marc, I was the only other person running this tune for 2-3 years plus. Recently there was an expanded user base after Marc elected to share the tune to others. I have never been asked to not post specs. Further to that I have no reason to believe doing so will offend the creator of the tune. I just have been admittedly lazy on the matter. I will do so at some time here when the roads are clear and I can make some decent pulls to get data. I have NEVER logged data with VAGCOM, so if someone wants to drop me a line via PM and or call me, I will look to see if I can record the information a number of members are so eager to see.

Tim

UrS6
October 13th, 2014, 03:35
10secS4 Marc...I'd love his tune! Just haven't seen logs on it and two people have had tk resend the ECU a few times to fine tune it, which honestly is great that he does that and gets it perfect...just can't do without my ride from time to time messing around to get it prefect! I also hate you for the 6dp ;0)

Ahhh.....I have a different Marc. I believe yours spells his name Mark.

BuddRS6
October 14th, 2014, 00:35
Contact details for marc if possible?

Please let us know how to contact this "Marc"

I have a spare ECU to send him to burn for me

thx

Bigglezworth
October 14th, 2014, 01:21
Please let us know how to contact this "Marc"

I have a spare ECU to send him to burn for me

thx
PM is your friend... :)

http://www.rs6.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=5418

10SecS4
October 14th, 2014, 08:56
Best way to reach me is via text at nine one four 327-1879.

I have posted several logs on this forum going back to 2009. I've also posted timeslips and videos. Search my username on the forum.

I have never told anyone to not post logs or any other information or data pertaining to my tune. That would be silly. None of this is top secret. I simply did more R&D work on the RS6 tune than the other tuners and as a result was able to perfect the tune.

Whoever said it takes a few times of shipping your ECU back and forth to get the car dialed in is also misinformed. All you need to do is overnight me your ECU once and I overnight it back to you the same day. I've also tuned some members' RS6s in person in the NY/NJ/CT/PA area.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Marc

lswing
October 14th, 2014, 13:28
Still haven't seen a log in about two years. I suppose most people just put a tune on a figure it's good to go.

Just seems like there's always been a lack of info around the tuning, and if it's safe along with faster.

What I'm most interested in is the brand of software you're using, and the fuel trims. Aren't we limited with the ME7 ECU to fuel trims in general or under load, as opposed to a newer 3D map the WRX or Evo would use?

In regard to time, so many people seem to forget that temp and driver skill is a huge difference, along with a tight running car. I trust your car (driver) is fast, and the tune is strong, just want to see the real numbers on it and know if it's anything more than the standard ME7 timing/boost/fuel trims (load, decel, overall, secondary).