PDA

View Full Version : Tired of googling and searching..Best Oil (for now)

Greyyork
September 18th, 2014, 17:01
First off, hey everyone! I know it's been awhile, but uncle Sam likes to keep me busy. It's time for an oil change and I've been alternating between oils, until I find the one I like. I change every 3k...like on the dime. I'm thinking of going Mobile-1 this time, but I keep seeing a ton of mixed reviews. Any help? I also heard Royal Purple is terrible for our cars... I think I've narrowed it down, but what's better 5W-30 or 10W-30?? I need to change soon, so please put your input!

:addict:

audiprotn
September 18th, 2014, 18:07
I've been using Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40 lately, no complaints.

Greyyork
September 18th, 2014, 19:45
Why does every one talk about going 40 instead of 30? and I've ever heard of people going 0 W. Unfortunately, we don't have a wide selection of oil on base. If I go off base it's literally x3 the price and in Euro, so I'm trying to avoid that option.

mik15
September 18th, 2014, 19:55
5w40 is the one recommended by Audi and is the oil it was used when the car was new, so i'd say going from 40 to 30 would be unusual and not the other way around. You need a 40 for a better thermal stability of the oil at high temperatures.
I too am using 5w40, TopTec4100 from Liqui Molly which has the VAG505.01 norm for these engines.

RSoverAll
September 18th, 2014, 20:21
+1 for TopTech Liqui Moly 5w40

Greyyork
September 18th, 2014, 21:40
my manual says 5-30 and that's what I've been using. I'm also stationed in Germany, so it's pretty cold...what do you guys think of royal purple? I need help! Doing it tomorrow.

Dmb408
September 18th, 2014, 22:31
I ran Total, Redline and BND Quantum. The only thing I noticed was BND quantum ran a little warmer but I do believe it was a good oil because Dhall has run the tests.

Greyyork
September 18th, 2014, 23:01
okay, I'm just asking should I use m-1 5w-30 or 10w 30 or should I go with royal purple same stats and I could go up to 5w-40 or 10w-40??

Dmb408
September 18th, 2014, 23:19
Use 5 40 only! Audi changed spec after launch.

Greyyork
September 18th, 2014, 23:35
okay thanks and as far as brands go I think they have castrol...mobile 1, royal purple...tronic...and some random other brands..anyone contest to royal purple or mobile one?

DHall1
September 19th, 2014, 01:27

Any brand

Castrol is OK if you get 505.01 5w40

hahnmgh63
September 19th, 2014, 03:57
As Dhall said, a 505.01 oil. Audi sent a manual insert for a misprint. The oil recommendation to all RS6 owners for the oil spec of 5W-40 VAG 505.01 spec that should have been added to your manual.

Greyyork
September 19th, 2014, 09:50

Any brand

Castrol is OK if you get 505.01 5w40

exactly what I was looking for thanks man.

mik15
September 19th, 2014, 12:26
being in Germany you will be able to find Castrol 505.01, as well as Liqui Moly TopTec4100 5w40..

Greyyork
September 19th, 2014, 16:29
The only thing we have is royal purple, penzoil, mobile 1, quaker state, supreme, tronic, castrol (several versions) and warren. My only thing is, the guy said he could order liquid molly from the German store...it's just going to cost a hell of a lot more. My only question is, I saw they had mobile 1 5w-40 but it says for diesel engines only....people are saying use that...Idk what to do. I'm completely refurbishing the car along with all this maintenance so I would really like to put in a oil I like. Also the only other problem is, yes it's very cold here in Germany, but in the next few months I'll be moving back to Texas where it's hot....choices choices.....I'm really counting on you guys input on this. Thanks for the effort everyone. :rs6kiss: :addict:

RSoverAll
September 19th, 2014, 19:04
The only thing we have is royal purple, penzoil, mobile 1, quaker state, supreme, tronic, castrol (several versions) and warren. My only thing is, the guy said he could order liquid molly from the German store...it's just going to cost a hell of a lot more. My only question is, I saw they had mobile 1 5w-40 but it says for diesel engines only....people are saying use that...Idk what to do. I'm completely refurbishing the car along with all this maintenance so I would really like to put in a oil I like. Also the only other problem is, yes it's very cold here in Germany, but in the next few months I'll be moving back to Texas where it's hot....choices choices.....I'm really counting on you guys input on this. Thanks for the effort everyone. :rs6kiss: :addict:

Take a look at the "donut"on the back of the oil container, the API oil certification I believe is the textbook name. If it says CJ-4/SN or SM it can be used in both gasoline and diesel engines. If it only lists one of those service categories it can only be used for that application.

As for the viscosity, being so cold over there I would choose a 0 or 5w40 oil. Those are multi-viscosity weight oils will also protect you in TX heat. I would know I was there 7 years in all that rain and humidity in Houston. My personal choice would be the Castrol if you have to have it now or Liqui Moly but the 505.01 should be the determining factor. I'm certain all the oils you listed will have at least an SM service classification but do they all meet the 505.01 spec- that's a different story.

And lastly being a 6 owner I'm sure you know a proper warm up and cool down before and after a drive will also help increase longevity, especially considering the oiling/cooling challenges created by the placement of the turbos on these cars.

Sorry such a long post...

Greyyork
September 19th, 2014, 19:11
No I appreciate it very much! Yes, people always complain when I go somewhere with them, then I sit in my car for 2 minutes letting it cool down, warming up I just act like I'm getting ready, or looking for something lol. I think I will go with castro if the price of the liqui moly isn't 3x as high.

mik15
September 19th, 2014, 23:00
505.01 is a diesel oil, that is what they originally used, the original Castrol for this car was a diesel engine oil...:)

Turbowned
September 20th, 2014, 00:34
I used Rotella T6 5W40 as it was the only oil of this viscosity that I could find locally. Plus I know a lot of modified Subaru guys use it with good results, and I use Shell gasoline so why not Shell oil, too?

Greyyork
September 20th, 2014, 00:50
Getting knowledge bombs dropped on me over here. Thanks guys. Especially what to look for if it does't have that ring seal imprint on it. I had no clue what those letter combos meant. Which one is for diesel and which one is for gasoline anyways?

RSoverAll
September 20th, 2014, 01:27
Getting knowledge bombs dropped on me over here. Thanks guys. Especially what to look for if it does't have that ring seal imprint on it. I had no clue what those letter combos meant. Which one is for diesel and which one is for gasoline anyways?

Absolutely.

CJ-4 = Compression ignition category and Service classification J-4(diesel)
SN = Spark ignition category and Service classification N(gasoline)

As the oils get "better" the classifications go up in alphabet/number. I use the term better loosely here.

RSoverAll
September 20th, 2014, 01:30
I used Rotella T6 5W40 as it was the only oil of this viscosity that I could find locally. Plus I know a lot of modified Subaru guys use it with good results, and I use Shell gasoline so why not Shell oil, too?

Have you ever done a lab analysis with T6?

Korben007
September 23rd, 2014, 20:16
Curious for lab results on t6 as well

Greyyork
September 23rd, 2014, 20:46
BTW ended up buying liquid moly...even though its 17 dollars a quart in Germany.

hahnmgh63
September 24th, 2014, 00:06
Liqi Moly / Lubro Moly make good products. As long as it is 5w-40 and it says on the container that it meets VAG 505.01 spec then you can't go wrong with that brand. They do make a couple of 505.01 oils including a 5w-30 I believe but Audi says 5w-40 viscosity. And the spec was originally a Diesel engine spec so the good thing is that it tends to have more ZDDP anti-wear additives.

RSoverAll
September 24th, 2014, 02:11
Hope this hasn't been covered too many times already.

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/Audi-1997-2012-Technical-Service-Bulletin.pdf

mik15
September 24th, 2014, 05:32
greyyork - which one from LM did you get? i am running TopTec4100, pretty happy with it...i wish i could find Motul here to try it....

Greyyork
September 24th, 2014, 07:28
I got the top performance one, sorry it was 17 a liter not a quart...the only way I found it, was my buddy that worked at the american car care center in Germany, called up one of the audi performance shops and bought it. and @RSallover wow, I looked all over for that and couldn't find it. That would have been so helpful. Bookmarked page, thanks again. Car was just dropped off (90k services being done) should be out of commission for the day. I'll let you guys know how I like the oil after a week or so.

RSoverAll
September 24th, 2014, 16:23
I got the top performance one, sorry it was 17 a liter not a quart...the only way I found it, was my buddy that worked at the american car care center in Germany, called up one of the audi performance shops and bought it. and @RSallover wow, I looked all over for that and couldn't find it. That would have been so helpful. Bookmarked page, thanks again. Car was just dropped off (90k services being done) should be out of commission for the day. I'll let you guys know how I like the oil after a week or so.

The devils in the details. May wanna have a oil analysis done after you run that oil, just as a piece of mind.