PDA

View Full Version : Tail Shaft Seal....

hahnlogic
September 10th, 2014, 21:55
Hello all,
I know there has been lots of talk about this problem, or more of a inconvenience. I will make this short and sweet i hope, but just want to know a couple of things. Notice a half dollar size oil spot under my car, and thought it was something to do with the TB/water pump that was just changed. (FYI, if anyone is around the fox cities area (in Wisconsin), there is a really good shop close to green bay, Wisconsin. It was pretty fair priced... about 1600$ to change out everything for the TC / Water pump. Never the less, sorry to get off topic.:lovl:), but it clicked that no oil is circulated with the TB. So looked father down the car, and notice a drip forming at the tail shaft. So my question is when I do this ....

1.) is it a good idea just to drop all tranny oil, and replace it, because i don't know if it's audi gear oil or ams gear oil? (really don't know how much comes out once the seal is taken off).
2.) is this actually "normal" problem, nothing to be really worried about... correct?

This would be my working procedure....
1.) Back car up on ramps
2.) Loosen clamps after cats, and move exhaust pipes outta the way
3.) Remove heat shields
4.) Take bolts out that hold drive shaft, and move shaft out of the way.
5.) Re-install a couple bolts to hold the tranny from spinning(or will park hold it?), while trying to break the T40 loose.
6.) Pull out spline shaft
7.) Use flat blade screw driver to pop seal(is there a snap ring or is it just pull from behind seal and it should let loose?) could you use s plastic puddy knife instead of screw driver (just don't want to take the chance of messing up metal where seal sit.
8.) Snap new seal in
9.) Lube spline shaft
10.) Attach drive shaft to spline shaft (is there a torque spec for bolts?)(lube where the spine shaft and drive shaft meet?)
11.) Put head shields back on
12.) Start car and let it bark with only cats (:hahahehe:)
12.) Re-attach exhaust.

If i'm missing anything let me know, like i said before I don't know how much oil comes out, if any at all once the seal is out. And if its a good idea to drop tranny gear oil and put either ams or audi gear oil. Cuz i don't know what oil was use. Also don't know when the tranny was last flushed Im thinking around 40ish k. Car has 74k.

2 links for a dyi:
1.)http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93938
2.)http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/transealreplacement.html

Thanks for the help!

marklar182
September 11th, 2014, 02:17
I did mine and it was pretty easy, but I had a Lift to use. You are pretty much right on with your procedure.

Use a big Screwdriver or breaker bar to hold the shaft to remove the bolt.

No snap ring on the seal, just a normal seal.

Drain the diff fluid first, then change the seal, and then refill the diff. I used Mobil 1 Syn 75W90.

Torque values are in the Audi Pages write up. I used that procedure.

Leave the trans fluid alone ;)

Exhaust slip joint bolts may break, I had to buy 2 new slip joints :(

hahnlogic
September 11th, 2014, 15:38
Thanks marklar,
Thanks for clarifying its diff fluid instead of tranny. The exhaust isn't stock, so im hoping it will not bust/break bolts (crossing fingers). Will be getting the parts today, and doing the work tomorrow.

Thanks again!