PDA

View Full Version : Really Expensive Window Rattle!!

Dark Knight
January 25th, 2004, 20:08
Had the car two-weeks and obviously lovin' it!! Incredible piece of machinary.

However!! When I go over a bump the driver's side window (and I think the passenger side) makes a loose sounding noise against the rubber seal around the top of the door!!

I'm hoping it's because the rubber is so cold (it's currently 15 degrees here in the NE USA) that the rubber is so stiff that it has lost its flex and can't seal or "give" with the window's movement. I would imagine in much warmer weather it'll be more pliable and seal with the window.

Anyone else have this?

Klint
January 25th, 2004, 21:37
That's cold up there, if my maths is correct (or my phone's ;) ) then that's around -9 to -10 degress celcuis.

One wouldn't expect a small thing to become a problem with modern days cars. Hopefully it is the cold weather and that there's proper insulation protecting the occupants of the car, and that the problem is rectified when things warm up again.

Is there any kind of gap between the glass and rubber where the weather's elements can enter the cabin?...If there is, maybe a visit to the dealer is on the menu. :bigeyes:

rockridge
January 25th, 2004, 22:25
I'm in SF bay area where it never gets below freezing, and the drivers side window rattle started the first time I rolled down the window. I'm saving it for the 5k service.

Dark Knight
January 25th, 2004, 23:30
Klint-

You're phone is correct!!! It's that cold!

No gap between the window and the seal, no wind noise and nothing getting in the cabin, it just seems to "give" a little over the bumps; it's as though there's too much lateral movement in the window.

I'll see how it goes once it gets a little warmer which should also be about the time for its 5000 mile service so if it's not rectified itself I'll let the dealer know.

It's a shame because that's one of the major reasons I got the car: interior build quality; well, OK, that and it's freakin' fast car!!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Dark Knight
January 25th, 2004, 23:32
rockridge -

Let me know how you do with the dealer on this one. I can see it now, they take off the door panel to fix the window . . . then the door panel rattles!!!!! (We can only hope not.)

nene
January 26th, 2004, 03:44
It's been so cold in New England (USA) that I have not ventured into opening the windows at all. The fact that it's so cold it does seem that it's much harder on the car, and there are a few rattles that seem to have shown up when the car is cold, but disappear after the cabin gets warm.

I have not checked anything with the windows, but I will most definitely take a look into it.

Aronis
January 26th, 2004, 13:32
Hi Dark Knight,

I had the same problem with my 2000 A6 and my 2003 RS 6. It is simply the seal!

You can either use Armorall or Zymol Seal Rubber Conditioner, either will make the seal more pliable in the cold weather.

Rattles and Squeeks DRIVE ME NUTS. I Find them and Kill Them!

By the way, where in NE USA?

Mike

Upstate New York - VERY COLD minus 26 today....

Dark Knight
January 29th, 2004, 13:41
Aronis!

Thanks so much, I'll get down to the local auto store and get some rubber sealant conditioner!! Sounds like you and I are the same -- rattles and squeaks drive me absolutely INSANE! Which in turn drives my wife nuts because she has to hear me going on about it!! :360:

I'm 45 mins NW of Philadelphia BTW. When spring rolls around we should definitely get a NE RS6 meet going.

Thanks again!

Aronis
January 30th, 2004, 01:11
Dark Night,

The 'squeak patrol' pays off when your wife finally admits she can hear it too. Even over the radio LOL...

Mike

rockridge
February 4th, 2004, 00:01
Drivers side window rattle fixed by dealer. From service report:

"...found noise coming from headliner above drivers seat, not door. Removed left a-pillar, b-pillar, sunvisor, overhead console, sunroof trim. Partially removed headliner. Secured loose wires. Insulated headline from roof panel w foam tape and felt tape...reinstalled all. OK now"

Rattle is indeed gone, sure hope all that work didn't loosen something else :-)

Aronis
February 4th, 2004, 02:01
good for you!

I hope all went back together like new!

Dark Knight
February 5th, 2004, 00:28
Thanks rockridge. I'll see how I go, it warmed up a little (40Fh!!) here the past couple of days and the rattle seems to have diminished so the theory of it being the rubber door seal when it's REALLY looks like it maybe it but I'll keep an ear out now to see if it maybe coming from the headliner near the door!

And yeah, hope yours went back together OK!