PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the 06E coils with the adapter plate rather than the 06B stock 06B coil?

hahnmgh63
September 4th, 2014, 04:31
Is it just Snakeoil? I have the 06B Hitachi coils which many 1.8t guys think are better than the Beru 06B coils but there is a following for the 06E coil that say it puts out a better spark and is more reliable. The 06E coil is used in many of the newer Audi's as well as the R8 and cheaper than our coils by $5~$10.

mik15
September 4th, 2014, 05:36
how does this adapter plate look like? i think i might need to replace the coils in the near future and i don't know yet which ones to buy....

just had a look on ecs and i see now what you mean about the adapter plate...where do we get it from?

hahnmgh63
September 4th, 2014, 06:12
I think ECS uses the 034 motorsports adapters but here are another set. Prettier to match the coils.

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Coilpack-Adapter-Set-for-1.8T-With-FSI-TSI-Coilpacks.html

And 034's
http://store.034motorsport.com/products/ignition-solutions/fsi-coil-adapter-1-8t-2-7t-4-2l-5v.html

Other_Erik
September 4th, 2014, 12:19
Anyone try these yet?

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/OKDPlasmaDirectIgnitionCoilsRS6V10.html

Plasma Direct Injection ignition coils - snake oil or finally an answer to our fuel/spark problems in high-HP applications?

O_E

kruat
September 4th, 2014, 18:16
I did this swap on my S4, after battling years of misfire codes I finally had enough. I got 6 oem fsi coils, and 6 oem adapters off a vw toureg (much cheaper, like under 10 bucks a piece) and they the correct connecters off amazon. Total spent was under 150. Best part is no more cels for misfires.

I've been wondering if the same thing can be done on RS6s, upgrading to FSI coils.

kruat
September 4th, 2014, 18:18
Wait, math was wrong...I think total spent was under 200.

Avus-RS6
September 4th, 2014, 20:51
Are you stock coils failing?

hahnmgh63
September 6th, 2014, 01:58
Had a couple misfires after I first got my car years ago but I replaced all of the coils (and plugs of course). I did search out to find the Hitachi replacements as some dealers had the BERU's. Being a 1.8t guy also there are a lot of coil discussions and many recalls. From most of the 1.8t forums the Hitachi's were pretty much the unanimous ones to go with and my 1.8t (225bhp AMU tt) takes the exact coil. Some of the discussions I have been reading though also say the newer FSI coils are more reliable, cheaper, and have a slightly hotter spark??

mbagge01
April 3rd, 2015, 04:27
I am considering doing the 06e coils from the r8 since my car has 120k and is probably reasonable to change them at this point as during boost occasionally I get a strange cut in boost. Anyone using them and have impressions on the rs6, especially with a tune

hahnmgh63
April 3rd, 2015, 04:28
Along with the R8 Coils you will need the adapter plates and I think you need a conversion plug for each.

mbagge01
April 3rd, 2015, 04:45
Hahnmgh63, have you done this conversion or stuck with stock setup.

mbagge01
May 10th, 2015, 17:41
Does anyone know if the 06e fsi coils or the RS6 stock coils have a stronger spark. I am trying to decide if I should replace with stock rs6 coils or try the fsi 2.0t coils. My car is tuned.

hahnmgh63
May 11th, 2015, 03:51
I bought the FSI coils (R8 not the 2.0T) and got the adapter plates but haven't installed them yet. Somebody on the list has already. The R8 coils are supposed to have a stronger spark but I'm a Aero Engineer not a E.E. guy and don't have the equipment to test them. It would be nice to see a comparison. The R8 coils are cheaper replacements but then of course you have to figure in the price of adapter plates.

s8prtotype
May 11th, 2015, 06:58
I did the R8 conversion and it may just be because everything is new, but the car starts really fast now, like turn the key and fires up very quickly. No more random misfires and she pulls great. Idle is smooth as well.

Our valve covers do not like the offset coil adapters that the v6 guys use, luckily i got some that were made out of derlin (which I wanted to keep more heat off the coil and they're cheaper)... had to modify them a bit because our v8 spark plug hole is dead center. I made a post about the full conversion.

Here you go:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32023-Cheapest-tune-up-Upgrade-Let-me-help-you!?highlight=coil+adapter

They plug right in :)