PDA

View Full Version : Might be looking for some DRC components

Zorb
August 30th, 2014, 05:47
I am in process of replacing front shocks but am having a hard time pulling a vacuum in the system on one channel. Rears are good if tested individually.

If anyone has any deinstalled hardware left, particularly accumulators that are in good order, I would be interested to talk.

The reason I am doing this is that I have a leaking shock in front and so am replacing both. I secured the hardware brand new for $450 for both, so I figured I might as well.

audiprotn
August 30th, 2014, 13:51
If you need shocks, I still got them, but drc lines are cut off

lswing
August 30th, 2014, 18:07
Found some...:)

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=Sport+Shock&group=Sport&partNum=82-2488SPORT&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A6+4.2&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=

Looks like petzl21 is about to remove his DRC, maybe get some parts?

Zorb
August 30th, 2014, 18:23
Rear shocks possibly, though they were replaced not much before I got the car. My fronts are brand new. Are your rears first or second design?

Zorb
August 30th, 2014, 18:27
Found some...:)

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=Sport+Shock&group=Sport&partNum=82-2488SPORT&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A6+4.2&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=

Looks like petzl21 is about to remove his DRC, maybe get some parts?

I have seen RS6s with suspension conversion and never found that I liked the ride as much. DRC doesn't give an extremely smooth ride, as you know, but it's a very good balance and I like its cornering stability. Making a car with a conventional setup handle as well as DRC does seems to make it ride too hard for my liking.

mdegracia
August 31st, 2014, 21:49
Lemme know what you are looking for, I pulled everything out of mine.

Zorb
September 4th, 2014, 03:19
My car is fixed for now, $1300 and a week (with an old BMW loaner) later.

In my case both fronts were leaking, one was pretty far gone. Rears and all plumbing were fine.

My question is: which axle is more problematic? Front or rear? Apparently all of the shocks had been changed, but in separate pairs. The fronts were done at about 32000 with new units of the old design, and rears were done at 56000 with units of the new design.

Bigglezworth
September 4th, 2014, 04:04

In my case both fronts were leaking, one was pretty far gone. Rears and all plumbing were fine.

My question is: which axle is more problematic? Front or rear? Apparently all of the shocks had been changed, but in separate pairs. The fronts were done at about 32000 with new units of the old design, and rears were done at 56000 with units of the new design.The fronts were leaking because they were the old style. That's too bad. Surprised you couldn't source a pair from someone on the forum here, swap the damper out yourself, and then just pay the stealer to recharge the system at a nominal $150.00... There is no direct correlation for front vs. rear for the dampers themselves that I'm aware of. I can personally attest to the fact that failure on two occassions for the one ride here was specific to the hoses vs. the dampers themselves. I can also personally attest to the fact that I replaced a perfectly functioning set of Gen 1 DRC dampers that had over 225000 miles on them as part of the recall. I'm not aware of any other cars making it that distance on the Gen 1 stuff that was all to often subject to depressurization.

petzl21
September 4th, 2014, 14:20

My question is: which axle is more problematic? Front or rear? Apparently all of the shocks had been changed, but in separate pairs. The fronts were done at about 32000 with new units of the old design, and rears were done at 56000 with units of the new design.

I'll be pulling out my DRC in the next few weeks or so, and replacing with Koni's, and after seeing your repair bill i am glad i decided to make the change! Let me know if you need anything, and we will try and be gentle with the evil DRC when removing!

And a side note, my DCR was warranty replaced back in 2009 (i think, i'll have to check the records i got from origional owner to see date and miles). I have 89k and now i am starting to get a knock in low speeds, and its progressing into higher speeds, and more corners on the car. driving me crazy!!! dont know if that is the avg life for these, or if its hit or miss.

Zorb
September 4th, 2014, 20:51
I'll be pulling out my DRC in the next few weeks or so, and replacing with Koni's, and after seeing your repair bill i am glad i decided to make the change! Let me know if you need anything, and we will try and be gentle with the evil DRC when removing!

And a side note, my DCR was warranty replaced back in 2009 (i think, i'll have to check the records i got from origional owner to see date and miles). I have 89k and now i am starting to get a knock in low speeds, and its progressing into higher speeds, and more corners on the car. driving me crazy!!! dont know if that is the avg life for these, or if its hit or miss.

The parts I am most worried about are the accumulators, since they are expensive. I am however interested in anything not leaking, other than metal piping.

See, I like the ride and character of DRC, but if I can't keep it working well without spending a lot, I might eventually $hitcan it too.

Stupid Stealer charged $300 to recharge. I ordered a coupler so I can recharge it myself, hope I get it eventually. My credit card hasn't been charged, and my order still says pending / back order, so I am not caring much right now.