PDA

View Full Version : Fans continuously running, not hot out

G2
August 16th, 2014, 07:08
Just noticed on the way home tonight. Made a pit stop and the radiator fans were running at a low to medium speed. The air temp wasn't over 75F, maybe a bit humid. Not using A/C (rarely do). Temp gauge at 12 o'clock like normal. No MIL. Oil temp OK. Fluids OK. Still has all 3 rads. Has coolant boost additive (works great).

Drove home thru town about 5-10 minutes. Noticed the fans are still running, even while driving. Normally they don't run even driving slow (except on very hot days), if so are just on ultra low speed before engine shut down during idle down period.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Thinking ECT sensor or t-stat may be acting up...

LIRS6
August 18th, 2014, 02:58
Thermostat I suspect

kruat
August 18th, 2014, 03:24
I suspect thermostat, you said no codes, but if there are any coolant system codes stored it activates your fans all the time.

hahnmgh63
August 18th, 2014, 05:01
If no codes check the Thermostat by seeing what Vagcom is saying the temp is. If codes it could be temp sensor. Both fans or only one? I think each fan has it's own separate controller.

Bigglezworth
August 18th, 2014, 05:23
A coolant sensor controls the high speed run if I'm not mistaken. I would always look to check that out prior to landing on a T-Stat which is a nominal 2.5-3hrs to R&R. Bottomline, VAGCOM it to see what the temps actually are, and then compare that reading against what spec is first.

Turbowned
August 18th, 2014, 23:25
Mine was doing this a few months ago; it was a faulty coolant temp sensor. Cost about $27 for the part and an hour of dickering around to change the sensor. Hopefully it's not the thermostat 'cause if so, bumper's coming off!

kday
August 22nd, 2014, 16:36
Do they continue to run after turning the car off? If so check out http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23644-After-run-fan-seems-possessed?highlight=

There are some cooling system codes that don't light the MIL, so check with VCDS.