PDA

View Full Version : Special Sauce is now in Boston

Spcl Sauce
July 27th, 2014, 00:04
Hello All,

Just wanted to give everyone an update that Special Sauce is now living in Boston (nene, let's grab a coffee!). The only changes that I have made since I purchased her was to install an aquamist meth kit and a retune (she had snow previously and Tony at EPL strongly suggested that we upgrade). After the swap, Tony was able to run a more aggressive tune and she is now "oh my god, I might die" fast.

About me: I always wanted an RS6 because I love the blend of practicality and performance. I am not a mechanic, however, I am a "car guy" and I love the community here as everyone is helpful and supportive - unlike a lot of the other car communities who just seem to bicker a lot.

I am proud to be the new owner of Special Sauce and am glad that she is so well known here.

Ben

MaxRS6
July 27th, 2014, 00:07
Vedy nice! Welcome aboard the..

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?

DHall1
July 27th, 2014, 02:24
Omg

I have sat in this car.....a long time ago.

nene
July 27th, 2014, 04:33
I'm up for checking out Special Sauce in person anytime.

alrightroad
July 27th, 2014, 04:52
Welcome aboard! Did Tony give you any difference specifics on the Snow kit versus aquamist kit other probably larger mister nozzles?

Spcl Sauce
July 27th, 2014, 05:25
I think Tony is a fan of Aquamist specifically because of its internal failsafe feature.

He was able to run a more aggressive tune because of it so Special Sauce is now pushing around 700hp / 850tq at the crank. Level 10 transmission is holding so far!

I'll take her to the dyno when the temperature drops, which in Massachusetts should be soon!

Corbett
July 27th, 2014, 07:15
I think Tony is a fan of Aquamist specifically because of its internal failsafe feature.

He was able to run a more aggressive tune because of it so Special Sauce is now pushing around 700hp / 850tq at the crank. Level 10 transmission is holding so far!

I'll take her to the dyno when the temperature drops, which in Massachusetts should be soon!

What did it put down on EPLs dyno? Crank estimates at 700hp would only be about 525whp

Spcl Sauce
July 27th, 2014, 07:33
Pre-Aquamist and re-tune was 490whp/607wtq

jibberjive
July 27th, 2014, 08:18
Details on the car? Stock turbos?

Spcl Sauce
July 27th, 2014, 08:59
Probably the easiest way to learn more about Special Sauce is to type "Sauce" into the search bar. There are about a dozen threads that already discuss her, however, I will try to post the build soon.

jibberjive
July 27th, 2014, 09:50
Ah, didn't know this is a well-known car, as you only have 4 posts. I'll check it out.

4everRS
July 27th, 2014, 13:29
Congrats on the car. There was a time after I totaled my first RS6 that I was close to buying that car. Keep us updated!

lswing
July 27th, 2014, 15:41
What did it put down on EPLs dyno? Crank estimates at 700hp would only be about 525whp

I'd say closer to 560 at the wheel figuring max 20% drivetrain loss with the auto. You're in the ballpark power wise, maxed out on E85?

But yes, ideally the OP would put up the actual Dyno numbers, not estimated crank.

ttboost
July 27th, 2014, 15:43
I've seen the car at EPL...and yes, Aquamist or nothing. I have a spare Aquamist kit on my shelf for my next project...whatever that is...

Corbett
July 27th, 2014, 17:23
I'd say closer to 560 at the wheel figuring max 20% drivetrain loss with the auto. You're in the ballpark power wise, maxed out on E85?

But yes, ideally the OP would put up the actual Dyno numbers, not estimated crank.

I think an auto trans is more like 25% but who knows. Not sure what my car was putting down on e85 with no meth. I should have new dyno numbers in a few months :)

lswing
July 27th, 2014, 17:37
I think an auto trans is more like 25% but who knows. Not sure what my car was putting down on e85 with no meth. I should have new dyno numbers in a few months :)

Nice, you should add the w/m in when you can, not for more power, but sustaining power in hot weather, works wonders on my slightly tuned car. There were some extensive threads a few years back, argument was 16-20% drive-line loss based off of stock numbers from the engine and stock dyno pulls. Of course each dyno varies, but they were in that general percentage range.

Corbett
July 27th, 2014, 17:55
Nice, you should add the w/m in when you can, not for more power, but sustaining power in hot weather, works wonders on my slightly tuned car. There were some extensive threads a few years back, argument was 16-20% drive-line loss based off of stock numbers from the engine and stock dyno pulls. Of course each dyno varies, but they were in that general percentage range.

Good to know! I will definitely be adding meth!

na1mt
July 27th, 2014, 21:07
I think 25% loss is prolly a little closer to realistic

na1mt
July 27th, 2014, 21:08
.......so funny that this car resurfaced now. I was just on the phone with Stephen the other day and he asked if I knew where it was now.

Spcl Sauce
July 28th, 2014, 01:55
Please tell Stephen that I am taking good care of her.

jibberjive
July 28th, 2014, 10:38
I think 25% loss is prolly a little closer to realistic
I agree.

mgoblue
July 28th, 2014, 17:16
Hello All,

Just wanted to give everyone an update that Special Sauce is now living in Boston (nene, let's grab a coffee!). The only changes that I have made since I purchased her was to install an aquamist meth kit and a retune (she had snow previously and Tony at EPL strongly suggested that we upgrade). After the swap, Tony was able to run a more aggressive tune and she is now "oh my god, I might die" fast.

About me: I always wanted an RS6 because I love the blend of practicality and performance. I am not a mechanic, however, I am a "car guy" and I love the community here as everyone is helpful and supportive - unlike a lot of the other car communities who just seem to bicker a lot.

I am proud to be the new owner of Special Sauce and am glad that she is so well known here.

Ben

How ironic, I was literally just thinking last night, "I should email Ben and see how the car is." I saw it in a EPL photo on their FB page a few months ago.

Spcl Sauce
July 29th, 2014, 04:00
Hi Todd, how's things? She is great. The absolute most fun that I have with her is accelerating out of the toll plazas on the highway and then looking in the rear view mirror!

I get a lot of thumbs up from people who know about RS6s; Camaros and Mustangs don't even notice her; and WRXs and EVOs take pictures and just about ask for an autograph!

I'll let you know the next time we are in your neck of the woods and we can grab a coffee. Good to hear from you. Did you ever pick up a CTS-V?

mgoblue
July 29th, 2014, 17:08
Hi Todd, how's things? She is great. The absolute most fun that I have with her is accelerating out of the toll plazas on the highway and then looking in the rear view mirror!

I get a lot of thumbs up from people who know about RS6s; Camaros and Mustangs don't even notice her; and WRXs and EVOs take pictures and just about ask for an autograph!

I'll let you know the next time we are in your neck of the woods and we can grab a coffee. Good to hear from you. Did you ever pick up a CTS-V?

Very glad to hear it! I actually decided to go with simplicity, so I bought a 40 series Land Cruiser (1968) and an E30 M3 (1988).

Definitely please do, I'd love to get a ride with the new tune.

nistah
July 30th, 2014, 02:54
Very glad to hear it! I actually decided to go with simplicity, so I bought a 40 series Land Cruiser (1968) and an E30 M3 (1988).

Todd, Great choice on the E30 M3 I've noticed that those which are in good condition are starting to go for BIG money, I enjoyed test driving Special Sauce when you brought her by my office in Tyson's Virginia. I will admit I was holding back on dropping the hammer as I did not want to frighten you or get a ticket.

I'd love to get a ride with the new tune.

X2 I want a ride too, Special Sauce is certainly one of a kind I recall all the time and effort Stephen put into getting that car up to spec from the guy he bought the complete Dahlback upgrade kit from ( this reportedly cost $40K in addition to the car when first owner bought it) and so on and so on.

Hello All,

Just wanted to give everyone an update that Special Sauce is now living in Boston

Ben, I have family in Boston's North End & visit frequently...please PM me if your nearby Boston proper and willing to indulge me in the ride would love to check the new tune:race:.

Cheers!

Spcl Sauce
July 30th, 2014, 03:17
Nistah, you got it. A lot of Special Sauce's build is still a mystery to me and I would love to learn more about her.

I'll send you a pm and maybe you, me, and Nene can all meet up for coffee sometime soon.

I feel like Special Sauce belongs to RS6.com and I'm just lucky enough to be her caretaker.

10SecS4
July 30th, 2014, 12:58
Some Dahlback hybrid turbos which still have the tiny stock exhaust housings. That's why the car makes a ton of low-end torque but not much more power than the typical catless RS6 with a strong tune. About 450-460 WHP but dipping under 440 WHP in the higher RPMs.

Details on the car? Stock turbos?

Spcl Sauce
August 10th, 2014, 23:37
Pre-Aquamist Dyno:

lswing
August 11th, 2014, 00:54
Very nice, blurry, but about 470/610? Do you know how much boost you're running?

Interesting how your torque spikes up then drops hard. Seems to happen when boost is max or more than ideal I might say. If it's a bit lower the boost seems to carry longer as the turbos don't spin out. I'll dig up my Dyno sheet.

Spcl Sauce
August 11th, 2014, 01:31
486/607

I'll take her to the Dyno once the temps drop and see how she does. I'm expecting a modest increase, likely 550/675ish at the wheels. Fingers crossed.

She is running 16 right now.

Sorry that the image is so blurry. I'll try and reload.

lswing
August 11th, 2014, 01:35
486/607

I'll take her to the Dyno once the temps drop and see how she does. I'm expecting a modest increase, likely 550/675ish at the wheels. Fingers crossed.

Nice! I was expecting more like 18-20psi with that spike, they must just spool up quick!

Turbowned
August 13th, 2014, 01:37
Sweet, a Boston area buddy! We should hang out, except Special Sauce is undoubtedly going to be a bad influence on me and my until-now-bone-stock RS6...

I'm up for checking out Special Sauce in person anytime.

That makes 3 RS6's in the Boston area; w00t! We should have a mini-meet :)

Spcl Sauce
August 13th, 2014, 14:58
Let's shoot for lunch at Bertucci's on Mystic Valley Parkway in Medford on 30 August at around 1200ish.

As it looks right now we may have 4 RS6s present!

Let me know via pm how many are attending (wife/kids) and I'll make reservations.

Ben

10SecS4
August 13th, 2014, 23:52
If you check the dyno sheet, the turbos are already well past their efficiency range and running out of steam in the upper RPMs to the tune of ~440whp. Changing the aquamist setup and getting a retune won't help this. You need bigger turbos with larger exhaust housings if you want to get to 550whp. The problem is you really can't fit larger turbos due to space constraints.

486/607

Turbowned
August 18th, 2014, 23:36
Rats, I have to work Saturdays. What about in the evening?

Spcl Sauce
August 19th, 2014, 00:03
That's cool with me if it's cool with everyone else. An RS6 cruise night through Boston!

nene
August 19th, 2014, 01:00
I won't be able to make it. I am traveling to the Azores for a 2-week vacation on August 28th.
Let's make this happen again later in September, and I can join in too.

dxc
August 22nd, 2014, 06:22
wow there are a lot of rs6 in boston huh? I have a black one in brighton. I recently bought it with bad tranny and is currently undergoing 6spd swap and a few mods (bell IC cores, downpipes, ohlins, sways, sportecs, hybrid wheel, stiffer wg)

kday
August 22nd, 2014, 16:45
It's all relative, I guess. I've got a gray one in Arlington and in the 3 years I've had it I've yet to encounter another one...

dxc
August 22nd, 2014, 16:53
It's all relative, I guess. I've got a gray one in Arlington and in the 3 years I've had it I've yet to encounter another one...

I think there's 7 in Boston .... Maybe more. There's the 4 guys, then me and you, and I know a guy alpinab7 that works in financial district with a gray one ...

900 cars and 7 are in Boston area is pretty good I'd say

lswing
August 22nd, 2014, 17:09
I think there's 7 in Boston .... Maybe more. There's the 4 guys, then me and you, and I know a guy alpinab7 that works in financial district with a gray one ...

900 cars and 7 are in Boston area is pretty good I'd say

I'd say the US is easily down to around 600 by this point...just looking a the average amount that get wrecked per year and lost. And we only see a fraction of that is my guess...

We had 4-5 in the Eugene area at times, and that's just 260k population. Guessing Seattle must have at least 10, NW seems to like these cars.

DHall1
August 22nd, 2014, 18:24
Yeah, there are now 3 in a sleepy little town of 35,000 outside Phoenix.

I'd say the US is easily down to around 600 by this point...just looking a the average amount that get wrecked per year and lost. And we only see a fraction of that is my guess...

We had 4-5 in the Eugene area at times, and that's just 260k population. Guessing Seattle must have at least 10, NW seems to like these cars.

lswing
August 22nd, 2014, 18:34
Yeah, there are now 3 in a sleepy little town of 35,000 outside Phoenix.

Heard rumors about that...some say it's just the desert winds blowing...let me know when mine is ready.

Bigglezworth
August 23rd, 2014, 02:24
Yeah, there are now 3 in a sleepy little town of 35,000 outside Phoenix.There were a total of 4 in Calgary in 2007 (all 2004 CDN only models), and then in 2008 when the Gov't revised their bumper standards for crash testing, a few more USD 2003 models were added..... I personally have doubled the original amount since 2007, and I know there are at least another dozen total in Calgary that weren't here in 2007 prior to the ban being lifted for import. That said, I have only ever seen another example on the road twice in the past 7 years since I first got one.

Avus-RS6
August 23rd, 2014, 03:33
Probably 40 in Seattle. Most sit in the garage 6 days a week not being seen like mine.

ben916
August 25th, 2014, 20:04
Probably 40 in Seattle. Most sit in the garage 6 days a week not being seen like mine.

Mine WAS a DD and I rarely saw another.

Spcl Sauce
August 27th, 2014, 01:36
Can't meet up Saturday night - have to work - but lunch in Medford with RS6er's on Saturday is still on if anyone is up for it.

BTW, Special Sauce thoroughly embarrassed a BMW M Coupe today and the M Coupe driver was livid. He was with his girl and I felt bad for her.

DHall1
August 27th, 2014, 03:32
Oh the poor little douche coupe

Turbowned
August 27th, 2014, 15:14
I think the Northeast got a big chunk of the RS6's initially; coastal states usually get more exotica than say, the midwest or deep south. They're too busy playing with their 'Merican stuff ;)

dxc, when did you get your black RS6? Get it from a guy in Wellesley by any chance? I looked at a black one there with ~85k and it was a little suspect.

Turbowned
September 9th, 2014, 20:58
Just made contact with another RS6 owner in Brockton while perusing FS listings on Craigslist. Might try to get him to come. When are we doing this again? Can we swing Sunday sometime?

Spcl Sauce
September 9th, 2014, 21:57
Sunday works for me.

nistah
September 9th, 2014, 23:42
Ben thanks for being kind enough to let me take Special Sauce for an extended ride over the Mass highways and byways while I was in town. I never driven a faster RS6 in my entire life, Special Sauce is like a totally different animal. One of my favorite things is hearing the pronounced sound of the blow off valve :revs: Wanted to give Special Sauce's new owner props for stepping up to give Special Sauce a new home, sorting out the tune and installing a new meth system (car is running superbly) and being an all around great addition to the forum family. :cheers:

Spcl Sauce
September 17th, 2014, 12:52
NISTAH, I think that I had as much fun as you did!

Special Sauce truly is one of a kind.