PDA

View Full Version : Closed or open face helmet

lswing
July 12th, 2014, 18:11
Thinking open face for the breath-ability and comfort. Will be used on some 1/4 mile drags, maybe a future track day.:race:

Cheaper, but should get the job done, http://soloracer.com/pyrotectopen.html

Thoughts?

Beardown1
July 12th, 2014, 23:30
Well that all depends on how your face looks

4everRS
July 13th, 2014, 00:04
Well that all depends on how your face looks haha. That's funny.

I say open. Feels more comfortable, especially if it's hot.

CornersWell
July 13th, 2014, 15:40
If you're just going to be in the RS6 doing simple, basic track days, open face is probably good enough. You can check with the sanctioning bodies/tracks to see if they have any rules regarding brainbuckets.

May also be worth asking what restraints are you using. Standard 3-point belt or 4- or 6-points? Planning on adding a HANS or other device down the road? This all may have some bearing, or at least an indication of how aggressive you're planning on getting.

If you're talking about anything more than basic DE, I'd go full face. They're hotter, but open face leaves WAY too much real estate exposed.

CW

ianh755
July 13th, 2014, 16:10
The only thing I don't like about open faced helmets in road cars with airbags fitted is that lip sticking out as a sun visor. If you're unfortunate enough to have the airbags go off that lip hits the airbag first tilting the head back violently with the potential to cause increased neck injuries.

lswing
July 13th, 2014, 17:11
Good input, thank you. Sticking with standard seat belts. Just looking to do the occasional drag and maybe a track day if it happens.