PDA

View Full Version : Wash engine compartment

petzl21
July 12th, 2014, 03:15
So just got my beast today and wanna clean her up. Just dirty in engine compartment and I want to simple green and hose off.

Any tips or areas to keep the water mist away from or should cover anything and not get wet at all.

Thanks!

4everRS
July 12th, 2014, 04:52
You can hit everything. I do and it's never been a problem.

bmlee007
July 12th, 2014, 04:53
I avoid spraying water anywhere in the engine compartment on purpose.

I used Meguiar's Quick Detailer wipes to clean mine. Bloodied my knuckles a few times in some tight places, but it sure looks nice now.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product/4610

4everRS
July 12th, 2014, 05:08
Edit well done bm. If you don't prefer to spray water on the engine, then you shouldn't drive it in the rain either. Through the radiator, misting through the wheel liner vents, ect. Water gets everywhere when driving in the rain. Hell, I even spray water (mixed w/methanol) INTO the engine.

lswing
July 12th, 2014, 05:19
Edit well done bm. If you don't prefer to spray water on the engine, then you shouldn't drive it in the rain either. Through the radiator, misting through the wheel liner vents, ect. Water gets everywhere when driving in the rain. Hell, I even spray water (mixed w/methanol) INTO the engine.

So you liking the spray? Feel any bog when spraying too much? Really liking mine in warm weather...

Water coming in from under the hood would have some pressure. I'd be afraid of spraying down and into with a hose, more pressure. Might get me some wipes and clean things up...

4everRS
July 12th, 2014, 05:35
No bog. I'm spraying with 2 DO5's. I play with the controller a little, but mainly have it set to start the spray at 7-8 psi and max at about 13-14.

And about this engine spraying thing, I don't mean blasting with a pressure washer, or opening up the ecu and spraying that. I use the degreaser "greased lightning" and set my nozzle on a light spray, almost to a mist to rinse the degreaser. I've only done it a couple times, as the engine stays pretty clean on its own.

Bigglezworth
July 12th, 2014, 07:03
Spray with high pressure4 spray as close as you want and everywhere except for the air intakes. Also, limit direct spray on the rad coolers so that you don't fold over the small cooling fins.

petzl21
July 12th, 2014, 10:57
Thanks for the input. I was just gonna use hose on a gentle mist setting so not much pressure at all. I'll be sure to stay away from air intakes of course!

mik15
July 12th, 2014, 13:13
have never washed it, only blowing with air and with a damp cloth and then some dressing from Zaino or Meguiar's. As i can tell, in my case at least and this why i didn;t want to take nay chances, pressurized water will tear apart the weak cables or their insulation which after these years of bearing the high temperatures under hood will start the fall apart as they've become very brittle, i'd be careful with water, if you take a close look to your under hood harness you'll see what i mean, especially the plugs behind the air box, such as MAF's, EGT, O2, etc...not to mention the coils plugs and the other connectors on top and around the head and block on which they're clamped on...

bmlee007
July 12th, 2014, 15:09

Yeah, whodathunk two completely different answers would post at exactly the same time. Of course there will be road spray and the cars are designed to handle that, I just prefer not to take chances where necessary. Water-resistant has never meant waterproof in my experience.

Bigglezworth
July 12th, 2014, 15:24
It should be obvious, but ensure the car is in park and running the entire time you are hosing off the engine compartment....

lswing
July 12th, 2014, 17:13
No bog. I'm spraying with 2 DO5's. I play with the controller a little, but mainly have it set to start the spray at 7-8 psi and max at about 13-14.

And about this engine spraying thing, I don't mean blasting with a pressure washer, or opening up the ecu and spraying that. I use the degreaser "greased lightning" and set my nozzle on a light spray, almost to a mist to rinse the degreaser. I've only done it a couple times, as the engine stays pretty clean on its own.

Devils Own then? I also have two D05's, one on each side of the y-pipe. In the cooler weather I got some bog when spray started at 3-4psi and peaked about 12-13psi. I've backed it off a bit to reduce wear on the pump also. Start at 4-5 and full by 14-15psi. Hoping to do some testing in this 100 Texas weather...

It's good to clarify a light spray vs high pressure. Sure there are some connections that might not like it as much, like the little green and brown boxes...