PDA

View Full Version : Dragstrip in my backyard...

lswing
July 9th, 2014, 17:36
Well, as luck has it, moved right next to the local dragstrip. They have 100 octane unleaded on site to boot. Now I just need to be careful with the trans etc...

I'll get down there one of these days, cooler weather this fall/winter will be nice. 80 or so in the evenings now shouldn't rob too much power.

http://www.statesman.com/news/classifieds/cars/track-exudes-small-town-feel-set-to-host-day-of-th/nbFQ6/

Other_Erik
July 9th, 2014, 18:23
You lucky SOB. 100oct unlead, I'm guessing is also zero ethanol?

Did a quick comparo on my last car back when I had time to make the 35-mile round trip to the track, same style of driving before/after:

93OCT zero ethanol: 21.5-21.7MPG
93OCT 10% ethanol: 12.2-15.4MPG
100OCT zero ethanol: 21.5-22.2MPG

Anyone else spot the odd man out?

Was on a 2002 Grand Prix GTP, light mods (smaller SC pulley (3.4 from 3.8"), headers, short stack IC)

damn corn lobby is robbing us blind!

lswing
July 9th, 2014, 18:31
Lucky as long as I don't break anything! As long as I keep the launch mellow things should hold up. Still hammering through 1-2-3 at WOT puts some work on those clutch packs.

Assuming it's zero ethanol, but will find out. Probably make a trip to fill up this week unless they are price gouging. Was paying $7.50 per gallon at the pump in Eugene for the 100 octane unleaded non-ethanol, I'll expect $8-10 here since it's at a small track.

Interesting change in mileage, helps to offset the price, and engine should run a bit cooler, win win.

Other_Erik
July 9th, 2014, 18:42
Lucky as long as I don't break anything! As long as I keep the launch mellow things should hold up. Still hammering through 1-2-3 at WOT puts some work on those clutch packs.

Assuming it's zero ethanol, but will find out. Probably make a trip to fill up this week unless they are price gouging. Was paying $7.50 per gallon at the pump in Eugene for the 100 octane unleaded non-ethanol, I'll expect $8-10 here since it's at a small track.

Interesting change in mileage, helps to offset the price, and engine should run a bit cooler, win win.

I'm no chemist but it's two things working against you (as it was explained to me)

1) Ethanol has a lower energy content per volume (roughly 11%)
2) When burned, ethanol does not convert oxygen to CO/CO2 as efficiently. This results in a higher amount of Oxygen leaving the combustion chamber and entering your exhaust. If you have a properly functioning Oxygen Sensor (or 2, or 4) in your exhaust system, your car will see this as a lean condition, thinking that it's not putting enough fuel into the combustion chamber. The car will dump more fuel in via short term fuel table adjustments (STFT), which will cause more of the same condition, bogging down your engine and wasting fuel into the exhaust system. Particularly on cars that were not initially meant to handle ethanol fuels, this can lead to such fun conditions as premature detonation (knock), and clogged catalytic converters.

Dmb408
July 9th, 2014, 20:04
So I just found out through searching that pure gas site that I have a 110 zero ethanol station right outside the office that I didn't know about!!! I need gas today, report back tomorrow on price and butt dyno.

Dmb408
July 10th, 2014, 01:35
It was leaded gas...

4everRS
July 10th, 2014, 04:59
I have a station here that has 100 LL. I rarely use it as it has lead in it. When I use it, I usually put in about 6 to 7 gallons in and the rest 91. They are both non oxy.

DHall1
July 10th, 2014, 07:47
Do a reset first.

So I just found out through searching that pure gas site that I have a 110 zero ethanol station right outside the office that I didn't know about!!! I need gas today, report back tomorrow on price and butt dyno.

DHall1
July 10th, 2014, 07:51
Wait till you get old. You will sound just like me.

Lol

Ethanol sucks a $$. Why do you think I run Aces....we have nothing but ethanol 91 in AZ.

You lucky SOB. 100oct unlead, I'm guessing is also zero ethanol?

Did a quick comparo on my last car back when I had time to make the 35-mile round trip to the track, same style of driving before/after:

93OCT zero ethanol: 21.5-21.7MPG
93OCT 10% ethanol: 12.2-15.4MPG
100OCT zero ethanol: 21.5-22.2MPG

Anyone else spot the odd man out?

Was on a 2002 Grand Prix GTP, light mods (smaller SC pulley (3.4 from 3.8"), headers, short stack IC)

damn corn lobby is robbing us blind!

DHall1
July 10th, 2014, 18:10
Pat and I were just talking about it this week. He filled up with pure gas and his mileage jumped 7mpg. A6 3.0t

At best 20 all the way to 27.

Why do we accept this crap? We dont need opec....this country now produces enough oil to sustain our needs. We allow the banks to manipulate the oil futures market and gas is back up to 5 bucks.

Dmb408
July 10th, 2014, 18:21
It was all started by the blender's credit. Now that it is gone hopefully it begins to go away.

Dmb408
July 21st, 2014, 18:58
Did a 130 mile hwy trip this weekend, averaging about 78 mph when I could and probably not less than 70 at any point. I got 23.7 mpg on 0% ethanol (I called around and found a station here before I left for the trip). That is WAY better than I have ever got on Shell 93 w/ 10%.

alrightroad
July 21st, 2014, 20:44
Interesting. I have never looked. Does all Shell 93 have 10% Eth?

lswing
July 21st, 2014, 20:57
Interesting. I have never looked. Does all Shell 93 have 10% Eth?

I think almost all pump gas in the US is 10% Ethanol now. That's why the list for pure gas is so small, everyone else is selling the crap. You should see the 10% label on the pump, not sure if all states are required to label at the pump though.

http://pure-gas.org/about

Dmb408
July 22nd, 2014, 14:19
I called around to a bunch of stations and in my community most of the time I actually spoke to the owner, so small Shell stations, and small nice BP's with a mechanic...think really bucolic. And the Shell owner said all the Shells around here are 10% as are we and the BP owner said none rather emphatically and I said none and he said yup.