PDA

View Full Version : Hit a pothole @ 4mph - guess the damage

Other_Erik
July 7th, 2014, 16:26
So the girlfriend was driving the RS, pulling out of a parking lot, stopped for a stop sign, knew there was a pothole but due to rain, had no idea how deep it was. Big crunch, half a mile later low coolant + engine temp spiked. Pulled to the side of the road, shut it down, had it hauled to a local indy shop. Let's play guess the damage! Closest without going over wins bragging rights :)

I'll even give the following hints:

Front bumper cover is getting resprayed
Left intercooler replacement authorized
Right intercooler removed/inspected/remounted
Both headlights snapped their mounting tabs
Lower engine cover is gone
Both sides lower grilles are gone
Both front fenders bent inward (1/4" on right side, 3/4" on left)
Lower radiator hose is gone
Alignment needs serious adjustment
2 tires on the passenger side went flat, some sort of repair got them good again (even though they're nearly bald).

I'll give you a range - it's vehicle history reportable (>$3k), but not enough to total the car (<$17k)

I'll update this thread when the final final supplemental final supplement bill and receipt comes through (round 4 so far, including the initial estimate)

O_E

SA RS6
July 7th, 2014, 18:52
dang sorry to hear that bud. ill throw a number of 10k with parts and labor. hope everything gets taken care of correctly.

Avus-RS6
July 7th, 2014, 18:56
That sucks, sorry to hear! I'm guessing you didn't crack the block, so $3,350.

DHall1
July 7th, 2014, 20:01
Greater than 10k

Totaled when they find the cracked rad support

LIRS6
July 7th, 2014, 21:33
pothole or sinkhole?

Dmb408
July 7th, 2014, 21:45
I am going with DHall, if that deer totaled that one members car, this thing has got to be toast. Sorry Erik, good luck.

nene
July 7th, 2014, 22:49
Positives:
- He is still referring to her as girlfriend (not ex)

Negatives:
- $6600 in damages

Sorry to hear it buddy, but the roads up in New England have been awful too. Been keeping up to the same roads so I know where they are. But holes appear to be getting larger and deeper by the day.
Good luck.

4everRS
July 8th, 2014, 04:29

Just totally random guess cause I want to play. I hope they don't total it. Unless it had a bad trans. Hehe

mik15
July 8th, 2014, 05:33
yeah, that wasn't a pothole, that was a freakin' ditch in the middle of the road...i'm really sorry to hear that, that's one stupid way to get a car totaled, can't you sue the roads company or the municipality?

Other_Erik
July 8th, 2014, 14:56
Liberty Mutual is paying the claim so far, their subrogation team is going after VDOT / Loudoun County.

Pothole measured 7 feet 10 inches across, 2 feet wide at the middle tapering down to a couple inches at the end, and 7 inches at its deepest point.

If/when they total, I'll be doing the buyback because it's already had a good amount of work done.

Still no final bill yet, so I won't post how much the initial + 3 supplements have been, but a hint is that Avus-RS6 is out of the running...

Keeping my head up, and hoping it gets back to me in better condition than it was. The girlfriend was so apologetic until I told her "Yep, I would've hit that same pothole at the same speed and angle, you did nothing wrong..."

I'll ask the shop to take a good look at the radiator support just in case.

O_E

lswing
July 8th, 2014, 16:18
Bummer, hope it works out well. One day I tagged a cutout road section that our local municipality was working on and forgot to flag. Luckily only 2" or so deep with 90 degree edge, shook the crap out of me, made it through...

Avus-RS6
July 8th, 2014, 16:30
I must have not read the entire initial post, I do that sometimes, short attention span. Given the hint and your recent post, I revise my guess to $15,250.77

ben916
July 8th, 2014, 16:52
That isn't a pot hole, that is a crater!
my guess is $16,998.56 as it IS under the $17,000 limit.

Good Luck to you!

CornersWell
July 9th, 2014, 00:42
My RS6 is in NoVA (Alexandria), and the roads are awful in and around the DC metro region. I am also sporting the Sportec Mono 10s in 20". I feel each and every pebble on the road. I spend a considerable amount of time scanning the road for ANY imperfection, no matter how small. And, NoVA has BIG property taxes. I wonder where those go? Obviously not to fixing the roads. Just another thing Government can't do correctly, and, in this case, it's nothing more than fixing holes in the roads.

After 10 years of ownership, I'm finally coming to the conclusion that it's probably time to give up the RS6 and go Range Rover. Plenty of suspension...

When I do finally make that decision, I pledge to you that I'll offer it here first in order to keep it in the family.

CW

UrS6
July 10th, 2014, 13:45
My RS6 is in NoVA (Alexandria), and the roads are awful in and around the DC metro region. I am also sporting the Sportec Mono 10s in 20". I feel each and every pebble on the road. I spend a considerable amount of time scanning the road for ANY imperfection, no matter how small. And, NoVA has BIG property taxes. I wonder where those go? Obviously not to fixing the roads. Just another thing Government can't do correctly, and, in this case, it's nothing more than fixing holes in the roads.

After 10 years of ownership, I'm finally coming to the conclusion that it's probably time to give up the RS6 and go Range Rover. Plenty of suspension...

When I do finally make that decision, I pledge to you that I'll offer it here first in order to keep it in the family.

CW

you may feel every pebble but damn 20-in Sportecs look so good.

Other_Erik
July 10th, 2014, 13:55

CW

I wouldn't mind feeling every pebble, I do like the feedback - my problem is when said pebble causes a bent rim...

CornersWell
July 10th, 2014, 14:46
I wouldn't mind feeling every pebble, I do like the feedback - my problem is when said pebble causes a bent rim...

Or worse.

CW

CornersWell
July 10th, 2014, 17:17
...but damn 20-in Sportecs look so good.

I agree...

CW

Dmb408
July 14th, 2014, 16:43
TTT, I need an update on this one...

Other_Erik
July 15th, 2014, 14:46
TTT, I need an update on this one...

Body shop is doing their thing. They're filing a supplemental with insurance to replace front bumper cover, the radiator support was fine. Still waiting on a final total... I'm guessing I won't see her until the 30-day mark (July 25th) or so.

Other_Erik
July 28th, 2014, 12:31
Bringing the thread back from the dead. Has been over a month now (33 days by my count). She was ready Weds. or so last week, but waiting for tires to come in so the safety inspector doesn't freak out on my drag radial setup (~1mm tread).

Still don't have the truly final estimate since there's a bit more that the local shop will be claiming, and the rims have not been tested for balance/cracks.

At this point, I'm hoping they find enough problems to total it just so I can do the buyback and have the beast back in my hands with cash to spare. Who cares about a salvage title when you never plan to sell? :)

Stay tuned, we're close!

O_E

Other_Erik
August 4th, 2014, 12:27
So I paid the bill and will pick up the RS6 later this morning. Nene is the winner closest without going over with a guess of $6600. Actual damages total came to $7394.96. This was at an Indy shop, so if I'd gone with a dealership I get the feeling that it would've been much more.
O_E

LIRS6
August 4th, 2014, 22:17
Be a sport - let your girlfriend drive it home from the shop

Other_Erik
August 6th, 2014, 04:28
Be a sport - let your girlfriend drive it home from the shop

Funny you say that, exactly how it ended up happening. No issues :-)

O_E

Other_Erik
October 14th, 2014, 13:58
So I paid the bill and will pick up the RS6 later this morning. Nene is the winner closest without going over with a guess of $6600. Actual damages total came to $7394.96. This was at an Indy shop, so if I'd gone with a dealership I get the feeling that it would've been much more.
O_E

Sooooooo.....

We may not be out of the woods yet. Skulld is back in the shop with a leaky valve cover. And I mean bad bad leaky. My theory at the moment is impact made the VC flex or possibly crack, and killed the seal with the VC Gasket. Local shop is investigating. Very much hoping this can be blamed on the pothole, as I do not have $5k to drop on replacing the gasket.

Update from VDOT - because my claim was more than $500, I have to file it with a totally different department, and the chair of the local transportation board (whose name is not public information) - this is goddamn ridiculous, not to mention they took 3 months to send me a letter saying that that was the case, when they could've said that on day one. :nana:

Maybe more to come on this, hoping we've found the last of the pothole damage because my insurance is gonna freak out when I add another $5k to the claim to replace a gasket (Step one: remove engine...)

O_E

lswing
October 14th, 2014, 14:14
Isn't VC gasket more like a few hundred? Drivers side much more accessible....

They just did mine when in service position, but not even sure you need that for drivers at least, passenger is another story as there is at least a coolant pipe.

Other_Erik
November 25th, 2014, 14:16
Isn't VC gasket more like a few hundred? Drivers side much more accessible....

They just did mine when in service position, but not even sure you need that for drivers at least, passenger is another story as there is at least a coolant pipe.

Passenger VC was leaking badly, driver VC had just started leaking, passenger cam plug pissing oil... Had both VC gaskets, both cam seals and plugs, and full timing belt service with thermostat and water pump, all said and done was just a hair under $4k, which given the cost of just doing TB service, I'm not displeased. Hopefully those seals will last another 10 years and I can hold the current gates TB for 35k miles (my rate of driving, about 5 years).

Next step I'm pretty sure will be needed - wires, coils and plugs. I definitely need to get a new oil drain plug and gasket, got a slow drip there (and yes, I'm monitoring oil level closely)

O_E