PDA

View Full Version : 2000 km (1345m) with the RS6

avdh
January 7th, 2004, 13:45
The running-in is OVER! :) :)

if you feel like reading (it would be too long to post here) click on the link below

And the Fun has Began! (http://www.audioimports.com/cars/RS6/RS6.htm#2000%20km)

TaTaPiRaTa
January 7th, 2004, 14:17
Very nice ! :cheers:

nene
January 7th, 2004, 16:29
Great collection of pix, and a good read!
Enjoyin' it to the MAX.

JP4
January 7th, 2004, 17:19
REALLY enjoyed your write up and pix Andre! Enjoy!

You're also going to love the beast on the track. Looking forward to your impressions from the track.

JP4

Bauer
January 7th, 2004, 20:52
Andre-

Very nice write up and man what a web page.:cheers:

DaveB
January 8th, 2004, 02:04
I test drove a pre-owned Daytona Gray RS-6 about two weeks ago it had about 700 miles on the odometer. Now it has 800 miles on it. The story the salesperson told me was that they bought this car from a gentleman in California that said that it was too fast for him. Similar to the story of Bill Cosby taking delivery of a AC Cobra and reselling it immediately because it scared the hell out him. The aforementioned RS-6 is being offered to me for about $5K less than a new one with 45 miles on the odometer at my Dealer. I'm a bit hestitate to pull the trigger on the deal for the pre-owned because of the 800 miles of joyrides that it has on it. After reading the story from South Africa, I would like to be the one that broke in the RS-6. Any feedback would be much appreciated since tomorrow is the day I plan on taking delivery. PS I got back in my 03 225 TT Roadster after piloting the RS-6 and it felt like a high school cheerleader's car.

coopsrs6
January 8th, 2004, 03:59
AVDH Where is battery on RS6's in your country---RED RS6 doesn't appear to be set in trunk? Just curious. Thank you for the write up. I have 1300 miles on mine & have yet to hammer down-- too much snow & ice for a few days,but off to Laguna- Seca @ end of month to spool up the little jewel.

avdh
January 8th, 2004, 04:20
Originally posted by coopsrs6
AVDH Where is battery on RS6's in your country---RED RS6 doesn't appear to be set in trunk?

There is no spare wheel, and the battery is situated where the spare wheel should be.
That's one of the very few things I am not very happy about, 'cause in some places in SA we have very long distances between towns. There is a repair kit, for punctures, but if a tyre is cut, then it's big trouble.

avdh
January 8th, 2004, 04:29
Dave B

If you like to be the one to break-in your car, then there's only one choice, the new RS6.

However with the used RS6, try to find out how many miles the original owner did with the car. Since he was scared of the car, I am sure he did not trash it around, so he might have taken it easy when it mattered (when new).

Also, by knowing the first owner's mileage you can work out how many miles the dealer has put on the car, which will give you a better idea of how much trashing it had. However pushing the RS6, like people do when they test drive a car, around 700 miles is not a very good idea, but should not cause reduced engine life.

Erik
January 8th, 2004, 07:13
Originally posted by DaveB
a gentleman in California that said that it was too fast for him.

:hihi:

and welcome!

avdh, thanks a lot for the pics and report.

Matteus
January 8th, 2004, 13:25
wow!
very nice site!
Now I would love to live in south africa too...:eek: :p :incar:

:addict:

Bauer
January 8th, 2004, 14:35
DaveB-

The have been reports that the Cosworth motor is broken in before in goes into the RS6. The dealer RS6 mechanic said that it really is not a problem with the RS6 to go above the 3000rpm mark....I did not ask him about the motor being pre-broken in because I did not hear about it at that time. I personaly did the proper break in since it had 45 miles on it. Any way GOOD LUCK with your decission....I hope you get one they are a blast.....and it just keeps getting better.

Coopsrs6-

See you at Laguna Seca....you will love the RS6 on the track. I am off to Thunderhill this weekend.:cheers:

Benman
January 9th, 2004, 23:42
avdh:cheers:

Very nice read and glad to hear you're enjoying your car the way it was meant to be.

Ben:addict:

Finnus
January 10th, 2004, 11:05
AVDH,

Great writeup & web page!

Regarding the spare tire, in the US they give you an inflatable tire in the wheel well & the battery protrudes in the trunk. I do a lot of driving in the country and didn't want to be at the mercy of roadside service or the inflatable. After I had a mishap & damaged the sidewall & rim, I decided to buy a real spare. It takes up a lot of space (especially with the battery), but it gives me some peace of mind.

When I read your account, I was wondering where the police were in SA. I had dual Lidatek LE 20s installed in August and have yet to "engage the enemy". Upstate NY seems to be equiping patrol cars with Laser, since I went through two Laser traps a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking forward to going through them with the jammer. It's nice to hear yours works fine. Did the police give you a close lookover when you went by? LOL

Finnus

noushy
January 11th, 2004, 13:33
Hello Andre,
I have been reading your writeups for about 2 years now, and always enjoy the site. Great pictures, very clear, and a true passion for cars. I love the fact that I finally have a car you really wanted to own (I bought an S6 avant 1 year after you) and now have had my RS6 for about a month before you :). Anyways, keep up the good writing. As for the spare issue, the US models have a mini spare, and they moved the battery into the trunk. Not really perfect, but better than nothing.
Please let me know what you find out about the true breakin. I tried very hard to keep the rpms down below 4k for the 1st 1000 miles, but occasionally it did pass it. I do not think that will cause any damage, and overall the engine should be able to handle it.

Peace,
Noushy

avdh
January 12th, 2004, 14:05
Thanks for your comments guys, but let's face it with a car like this it is very easy to wax myself lyrical :)

Finnus.

On the S6 I had the LE10 which work over fifty times. I got stopped twice by upset cops, as with this model they knew they were jammed. However in SA there are no laws preventing you using a laser Jammer.

I've put the LE10 in the back of the RS6.

With the LE20's which are in the front, by the intercooler grilles (very discrete) in principle the cops do not get a "jammed" message on their laser gun.
The cops did not even look at my car. My wife, a bit behind had her LE10 in the beemer which go off as well, but also had no reaction from the cops.
A friend of mine who took the same road the day before, saw 6 Laser speed traps....

Noushy

I did go over 4000 rpm a few times during the running period and I am sure it is perfectly OK.

BTW, I did a 13.5 sec on the Q mile last night on a very slippery track, which had been under heavy rain less than an hour before.
The best a chipped M3 could do that evening was 14.9 sec.
So 12.8 sec with a few more thousand miles and a dryer/less slippery track should be attainabble, even here at 5250ft elevation (1750m).

Finnus
January 12th, 2004, 16:27
I've put the LE10 in the back of the RS6.

Andre,

Do they clock you with laser from the back in SA? (That just doesn't sound right LOL) I just mounted two detectors in the front - I haven't seen laser from behind yet.

Finnus

noushy
January 12th, 2004, 23:07
Finnus & Andre,
I am kind of curious as to the lidatek devices. In michigan they rarely use lidar, but you just do not know. The biggest problem is that the weather is usually cold or rainy, and the cops do not want to step outside to use lidar. But when they do, watch out, they are ruthless. I have a fantastic V1 detector, and rarely go more than 10 over so I have not had much problems with the cops. I want to know how hard it is to install these devices, and how well do they really work?

Andre, do you notice that as the car warms up, the performance seems to drop a bit. When the car is warming up to where the water temp is up, but the oil has not heated yet, the car is quite spunky at lower speeds. As the oil warms up, it seems like the ecm is retarding the spark, because the car seems to have more turbo lag. I have about 1500miles on the clock now, and it seems to still act the same. I am going to take it into the shop for the onstar redlight problem, but was wondering if you have anything to add. Otherwise, in the rain, the performance is spectacular, even better than the S6. I can't even engine that car (the S6 avant) anymore after owning the RS6. It seems you really have to rev the S6 to get it into the power band. The RS6 seems to have much more low end torque.

Noushy

Finnus
January 13th, 2004, 00:00
Finnus & Andre,
I am kind of curious as to the lidatek devices. ... I want to know how hard it is to install these devices, and how well do they really work?

Noushy,

My Audi dealer installed the Lidatek & the Beastpower mirror display (see thread, search on "Beastpower" and/or "mirror"). He didn't seem to think it was that difficult.

I have yet to go through a laser speed trap with the Lidatek. I try to keep it to 10 (and sometimes 15) mph over posted speed limit, but I've been known to go a lot faster. I wanted to have the best jamming and detection available - I have too many tickets already!

I know Eastern NY is gearing up with laser, because 2 weeks ago I went through 2 laser traps in my S4 between Albany and the Mass Pike & I've encountered laser in (3) different locations north of Albany.

Andre seems to have had excellent perofrmance of the Lidatek jammer (see prior post). Its essential that the jammers are mounted properly.

I purchased my Lidatek in response to an article on Audiworld.com. The article should still be accessible.

Finnus

avdh
January 13th, 2004, 03:33
Finnus,

We also have laser (lidar) operated cameras speed traps and those operate from the back, but they are a few front firing cameras as well. They take a nice pic of your car and then you get a fine in your mail. (All cars in SA are supposed to have number plates both front and back) Speed trapping from the front is mostly with cops and a laser gun and they stop you if you got caught.

Noushy,

Heat does affect any car's performance, but the RS6's engine bay can get particularly hot.
At the moment, being summer down here we have just about every day 32 degree C (90 deg F), which is not conductive to performance, specially turbo engines.
In the evening it cools down quite a bit and the increased performance can easely be felt.

noushy
January 13th, 2004, 20:27
Andre,
You are right about the engine heat, it gets really hot. After about 20mins of driving, the engine bay is virtually untouchable. Especially noticeable if you wash the car after being warm (the massive plumes of steam). I still seem to notice the turbo lag get much worse when the engine is hot. I drove about 80miles round trip today (to my office and the hospital) and the car seems to really require a lot of pushing to get up to speed (ie downshift or floor the pedal), much unlike the S6 which was much more linear. However after about 25 miles back home, it was sharp again, accelerating form 80 to 110 or so and back and forth with no problems (no cops either). Let me know if you notice this off again/on again power issue.

Noushy

Bauer
January 13th, 2004, 21:10
The engine bay CAN get very hot....try a few laps around a track.....you can get oil to 250 pretty easily. I shot the exhaust right at the block with laser temp reader got about 340 right after a session.

Nothing compared to the 530 on the front breaks and 500 on the rear. The small temp difference just goes to show how well the power is balnaced on the breaks. My old S4 was showing about 330 on the front and 170 on the rear(brother in law was at the same event).

I also have notice the power loss due to heat....it is almost feels like the engine goes into a limp mode of sorts. Does not happen very often...I did however notice that one day it was pretty bad. Loss, I would say of about 50hp or so for quite a while.:cheers: