PDA

View Full Version : Milltek exhaust comparison

TaTaPiRaTa
January 5th, 2004, 19:31
Hi!

I would appreciate very much a comment on Milltek Exhaust users.
Can you compare that to standard Exhaust (not sound enhanced one) and to one that Oettinger, MTM, OCT and other tuners provide.
What is the benefit of installing Milltek sport exhaust to standard beast one?
What is is the sound difference?

I can see many people on this forum go for oct chip with Milltek exhaust why not oct exhaust?

thank you :bye:

nene
January 6th, 2004, 12:42
That would be nice to have, but it seems that most folks only do the "questionable" exhaust upgrade if they do a chip upgrade as well.

To get performance numbers, once would have to do the exhaust upgrade first, and do a VAG logging to compare, or at the very least do a run on the dyno. Not sure many folks really do this.

The other issue is with concerns to sound performance. This is harder to quantify, as you would need 2 RS6s side by side. One with the stock exhaust and the other with the "questionable" upgraded one. And both cars have to be stock as far as the ECU goes. Again, I don't think this has been done either.

As for OC.T exhausts, I don't believe they make any, but I could be wrong. I know that Speed.Technik does most of the OC.T chip upgrades, and recommend customers upgrade to Milltek in the process.

Maybe when we have more RS6 meets, we'll do some of these things.

Actually, I believe there is a dyno day somewhere in CT (USA) on January 24th. If there are enough RS6s there, maybe we can confirm some of these interesting concerns.

Speed Technik
January 6th, 2004, 13:43
This is a pic of the stock exhaust. Notice the crushed portion, very restrictive. It doesn't matter which OEM pipes you went with, both have this crush portion.

http://rimpro.com/stechnik/Forum%20Pics/OEM%20Exhaust%20crush.JPG

Here are the pipes out of the box. As you can see, no crush points.

http://rimpro.com/stechnik/Forum%20Pics/Milltek%20RS6%20exhaust.JPG

TaTaPiRaTa
January 6th, 2004, 14:43
Originally posted by Speed Technik
This is a pic of the stock exhaust. Notice the crushed portion, very restrictive. It doesn't matter which OEM pipes you went with, both have this crush portion.

Here are the pipes out of the box. As you can see, no crush points.

sorry for my indolence but I don't get your point here.... while I would really like to know whether it is worth going for the Milltek exhaust or stay with the standard one, just doing lvl one chip tuning.

Speed Technik
January 6th, 2004, 14:54
You will be down approx. 14whp without the Milltek cat back system.

nene
January 6th, 2004, 18:32
So what Brian is trying to say is:

1) I can go to my local shop and have them replace the 'crushed' portion of the stock exhaust with a straighter piece of pipe;

2) The straight piece of pipe will be welded in place;

3) I pay the shop guru about $50 for their time and effort, instead of $1900 for the full Milltek system;

4) And I still get the extra 14whp using the stock exhaust, after adding the chip of course;

5) And I can keep the remainder $1850 as beer money!

Thanks for the pic Brian. And thanks for saving me so much dough!
Just kidding of course, but it's doable. I did this on my S4.

Speed Technik
January 6th, 2004, 19:38
The angle is slightly different so welding a straight pipe is going to create a clearence problem. The muffler cans are completely different internally. Also note that it weighs alot aswell and doesn't have the beefey tips the Milltek does. Dealers don't have an issue w/ aftermarket pipes on this car but they do have issues when you modify a OEM part, I ran into this issue already.

CarbonFibre
January 6th, 2004, 23:43
The stock exhaust won't flow as well as the Milltek even if you did modify it. The reason that people have say an O.CT chip and a Milltek exhaust is because the Milltek is one of the few readily available in the country. People with O.CT chips use Milltek exhausts probably because Stratmosphere is the USA distributor for O.CT and Milltek.
As for exhausts from Germany, I personally prefer some of those as they have the quad tip options. The exhaust on that modded RS6 with smoked tail lamps that was posted here has a nice looking exhaust, not sure how well it performs or who makes it.

Speed Technik
January 7th, 2004, 13:22
are sold through us and Stratmosphere.

TaTaPiRaTa
January 7th, 2004, 13:30
thank you all.

BUT still I was asking for your personal opinion about the sound difference....

Somebody who was changing the exhaust from stock one must still remember why he did it :hihi:

:cheers:

Speed Technik
January 7th, 2004, 13:48
The sound of this exhaust made the hair on the back of my neck stand up at attention. Fantastic sound, not loud at idle or cruise. She grunts under WOT and it sounds great. If you like the sound of an off shore power boat, you will love the Milltek on the RS6. Sound clips do not do it justice because it does have a slight bass note to it.

nene
January 7th, 2004, 16:36
I think that before worrying about exhaust restriction, you have the DPs to worry about.
After all, we have pre-cats and the cats in the DPs. Only after that we have the exhaust.

I just don't believe that the Milltek system is worth the $1900 that you are getting, where most of the gain is removal of the crushed metal. I'm sure the mufflers are a bit (being reasonable here) less restrictive, but I can't imagine it being that much more.

Has anyone measure the pipe diameter on both stock exhaust and Milltek system? Other then the crushed piece, is the Milltek system that much wider?

The issue I have with the quad exhaust is more with the aesthetics of it. The opening in the bumper is sort of oval, where the dual pipes coming out of it look out of place.
The S4 was more of a rectangle, with the sides rounded out, such that dual pipes seemed more at home. I'm being picky I know, but that is where the quad pipes really don't do it for me.

However, I'm sure that all Milltek system owners are very happy, as the system is nice, and most likely enjoyable performance and audible wise.

CarbonFibre
January 7th, 2004, 23:35
I think it looks great
http://www.rennsport.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=15377