PDA

View Full Version : RS6 in Washington Post

Erik
January 4th, 2004, 20:30
Isn't it a bit late to do a review now?
Talk about bad timing...or is it to get rid of the last of the '03s?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49978-2004Jan2.html

Nuts & Bolts
2004 Audi RS 6
Sunday, January 4, 2004; Page G01

Downside: The RS 6's base price tag is $82,700, substantially more than that of the upcoming 2005 BMW M5 ($73,195) and the 2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG ($77,650), both of which have more prestige than Audi. And with 469 hp in the E55 AMG, the Mercedes-Benz car has more horsepower than the RS 6 as well. Rich people love exclusivity; but they also attach value to the label.

Also: Complaints and worries about Volkswagen/Audi service quality persist. Make sure that the dealer who sells you this one has the technical competence and equipment to repair it.

Ride, acceleration and handling: Superior in all three categories. What else would you expect from a sports car with an $82,000-plus price tag?

Head-turning quotient: Extremely high among Audi aficionados. But the rest of the public gave it little attention: Those on the outside of the inside track generally regarded the RS 6 as a $30,000 car.

Capacities: The RS 6 has seating for five people. Cargo capacity is 15 cubic feet. Fuel capacity is 21.7 gallons of gasoline. Premium unleaded is required. Ground clearance for the RS 6 is 4.1 inches.

Layout/design: The RS 6 is a front-engine, all-wheel-drive luxury sedan (four doors).

Engine/transmission: The car's 4.2-liter, 450-horsepower, 40-valve, twin-turbo V-8 is linked to a standard five-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. The transmission can also be operated manually.

Mileage: I averaged 20 mpg in mostly highway driving.

Safety: Front and rear ventilate disc brakes with standard anti-locks; side air bags for front seat passengers; head air bags front and rear; emergency brake assistance, traction control, child-safety seat anchors.

Price: Base price is $82,700. Dealer invoice price is $74,239. Price as tested is $84,660, including a $1,300 federal gas-guzzler tax and a $660 transportation charge.

Purse-strings note: Reality has a way of kicking you in the butt. But time behind the wheel of this fine-running car is worth the dream, if you can afford it.

January 5th, 2004, 02:22
2005 M5 MSRP = $73,195 ? :trash:
20mpg in an RS6 ? :MTM:
"Premium unleaded is required." :eye: who feeds regular?

i am not so sure about the credibility of the writer. :alig:

darkseid
January 5th, 2004, 09:50
Honestly, that is one dumb review. The writer thinks way too much of the "bling-bling" factor.

I think, that people who buy cars for the attention should stick to their BMW's and Mercedes' (and Ferrari's etc. :p), they can't appreciate what an Audi actually delivers.

And by looking at that 2005 BMW M5 price, I don't think he's got his facts straight either. :)

JAXRS6
January 6th, 2004, 01:32
Originally posted by 2046
20mpg in an RS6 ?

Not sure why you question this for mostly highway driving. I averaged over 20 mpg for several tankfuls during 1000+ miles of Interstate driving last summer, from eastern Woming to Illinois. This was "real" mpg, measured & calculated at every fill-up, not the car's computer readout which was about 1 mpg too optimistic (same as my S4). Terrain was mostly flat.

romac
January 6th, 2004, 22:36
I live in the DC Metro area but do not subscribe to the Post. Much to my surprise on Monday, I had at least 10 people at work comment on the Post review of my car. Every one of them thought it was complimentary!! Go figure!!!

Dark Knight
January 10th, 2004, 21:51
Hmmm, it's kind of a weird review. Am I wrong but shouldn't the writer not have put "2004 Audi RS 6" seeing as (for the US) they're only a 2003 vehicle?

And seemingly no mention of the limited production run, which is different than the M5 or E55 market segment. I can't stand BMWs, I would look at the E55, however, the determining factor for picking up an RS6 (this morning! Finally!!) was the quattro, that's the bonus that so many reviewers and even enthusiats don't "get." It was time, for me, to have power that could actually be applied to the road in conditions other than hot sticky summer tarmac!!

It's tough reading reviews written by people that aren't in the demographic that would purchase a vehicle such as an RS6, it's a niche group of folks that understand what the car "brings to the table," and will pay for that.

JAXRS6
January 10th, 2004, 23:29
Originally posted by Dark Knight
the determining factor for picking up an RS6 (this morning! Finally!!) was the quattro, that's the bonus that so many reviewers and even enthusiats don't "get." It was time, for me, to have power that could actually be applied to the road in conditions other than hot sticky summer tarmac!!

It's tough reading reviews written by people that aren't in the demographic that would purchase a vehicle such as an RS6, it's a niche group of folks that understand what the car "brings to the table," and will pay for that.

Well said, cheers, etc.!!!:cheers:

Finnus
January 11th, 2004, 18:54
i am not so sure about the credibility of the writer.

Maybe he was reviewing a new Audi we don't know about, the 2004 RS6. LOL The review was extremely sketchy & superficial at best. Optimistically, we don't know what his editor did to it ...

Finnus

:addict: