PDA

View Full Version : RS6 production stopped?

pING
January 3rd, 2004, 11:58
From Audinews.com
Rumors tell us that the production of the RS6 is stopped.

There are quit a lot of RS6's available at dealers across the planet. Next year, the new A6 will be introduced. Including a new V10 S6. It is likely there is less interest in the "old" RS6 while the new A6 is available. We'll keep you informed. Can anyone confirm those rumors?
I can't wait to see the new Audi (R)S6 with an engine which will beat the M5 big time! :hihi:

quattro
January 3rd, 2004, 13:27
Some one I know is getting his custom made RS6 in February...

That's a FACT!

JAXRS6
January 3rd, 2004, 13:50
In the US, the RS6 reportedly cannot be sold after 12/31/03 due to something about emissions laws -- a change from one year to the next, I guess, that somehow prohibits our beast from being sold new legally after that date. This is according to sources at several different US dealers.

gjg
January 3rd, 2004, 14:05
"Some one I know is getting his custom made RS6 in February... "

and my Avant is scheduled for production third week in January.

So the production is on, I am not sure about accepting orders after end of December?

gg

Finnus
January 3rd, 2004, 14:22
Some one I know is getting his custom made RS6 in February... !

Ok, I give up. What is a "custom made RS6"?

Finnus
:addict:

quattro
January 3rd, 2004, 14:28
Originally posted by Finnus

Oh, :blush: I just wanted to emphasise that it is being built for him and not sold to him from a show room.

I.e. the RS6 is still being built.

I think some one screwed up the difference between the RS6 still being "sold" (in the US) and "produced."

But please tell me, if a legal 2003 car (RS6) is imported but not sold until 2004 does it have to be sent back (to Canada)?
Sounds strange to me if it was for legal reasons rather than market reasons. :confused:

gjg
January 3rd, 2004, 14:52
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

delays in "standard" delivery caused by certain options - like some colors of Napa leather adds minimum 6 weeks to the delivery as this happened to me. Or custom inserts, etc.

gg

Dark Knight
January 3rd, 2004, 15:07
I wonder if "can't be sold in 2004" actually means a 2004 model year wouldn't meet US emissions, but obviously a 2003 is "grandfathered in" to the subsequent year(s).

I don't purchase and take delivery of my RS6 until this coming Monday or Tuesday, and there's a local dealership with 3 RS6 on the forecourt as I write this.

Finnus
January 3rd, 2004, 18:32
I just wanted to emphasise that it is being built for him and not sold to him from a show room.

I see.

I suspect the 2004 emmissions restrictions relate to importing the cars. Restricting the sale of cars remaining in US showrooms would be rediculous.

As far as ongoing production, of course Audi would continue to produce the cars if unsatisfied demand remains in other parts of the world (although I think it will become harder and harder to sell a 2003, especially with the new A6 coming).

Personally, with no more US imports, I hope that helps to buoy RS6 values. Time will tell.

Finnus
:addict:

JAXRS6
January 4th, 2004, 13:58
Restricting the sale of cars remaining in US showrooms would be rediculous.

I agree, but it wouldn't be the first time AoA has been associated with ridiculous behavior. How else would you describe the fact that right now, after my car has been back to the service department for another week (after multiple prior visits), I may have to wait another two weeks or so because I'm waiting for parts on a BOAT from GERMANY?!?

The parts I need relate to a splitting of the serpentine belt and the AC (air conditioning) compressor clutch it attaches to. No known cause, but apparently neither AoA nor any dealers stock the AC compressor clutch in the US.

Situation may improve...waiting to hear more Monday, will start new thread then if the waiting-for-boat story continues. Going sailing now, no more communication til Monday evening at earliest.:mad:

oregonbob
January 4th, 2004, 19:09
A 2003 RS6 (or any other car) cannot be IMPORTED after December 31, 2003. If it's already in the US by December 31, 2003 but unsold (i.e. on a dealer lot), it is still eligible for sale.

An RS6 (or any other car) cannot be labeled a 2004 model unless it meets all 2004 specifications set forth by governing bodies (I think it is the Department of Transportation). Thus, if the RS6 doesn't meet 2004 emissions regulations, then it cannot be labeled a 2004 model. If it can't be labeled a 2004 model and it isn't in the US by December 31, 2003, it cannot be sold here without a waiver (similar to a grey market car).

By the way, a 2005 car can be labeled a 2005 model anytime after January 1, 2004 provided it meets all 2005 regulations. That's why you sometimes see "mid year" introductions of next years models (i.e. a 2005 A6 launched sometime in 2004).

Bob

gjg
January 4th, 2004, 19:15
this was the same issue with 95.5 S6 - sold as 95 in US .....

January 5th, 2004, 02:25
Originally posted by oregonbob
A 2003 RS6 (or any other car) cannot be IMPORTED after December 31, 2003. If it's already in the US by December 31, 2003 but unsold (i.e. on a dealer lot), it is still eligible for sale.

very confusing. didn't the first half of this thread was dedicated to someone getting a Feb production RS6 made?

gjg
January 5th, 2004, 03:14
that is not of NA market.

Josers4imola
January 5th, 2004, 08:19
Hi!!!!
I visited QUATTRO GMBH factory in Neckarsulm in Germany! :bow:
I had the honor to know the assembly line of the RS6 and really these had been finish them manufactured units of RS6!
They are the RS6 of 2003! :rolleyes:
Now the QUATTRO is prepared to manufacture the new RS4! :rs4addict
I am finishing a video that I made where I filmed the deposit of this plant of the Audi with hundreds of RS6 and Lamborghinis! thus that the video will be ready I post the link!
:cheers:

Graeme
January 5th, 2004, 19:11
From what I understand from a parts supplier to the RS6 line in Germany, Mass Production of the current RS model A6 is scheduled to end July 04. However, it will ramp down from it's current volume and cars produced in the last few months will be based on previously signed orders.
I imagine that this means a dealer could only place an order for a car that's in a distribution point from now on, and that car would have to have all the factory fit options already installed unless you have a particulary good dealer that would be prepared to undertake the fitment of these 'factory' options rather than just the simple dealer fit options.
I'm looking forward to seeing the next S6 and the RS model to follow ( maybe ? ):roll:

Finnus
January 9th, 2004, 10:25
ridiculous behavior ... I'm waiting for parts on a BOAT from GERMANY?!?

Hasn't Audi heard of commercial air?

A 2003 RS6 (or any other car) cannot be IMPORTED after December 31, 2003.

That makes sense ...

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

JAXRS6
January 9th, 2004, 14:38
Turns out the "boat" part may be inaccurate. My AoA owner advocate just called to say that in Germany, Audi went back to work on January 5 after being off for the holidays since December 22. The advocate was upset about the delay, too; when I strongly suggested Audi needs to get a full complement of RS6 parts in the US, he said, "Believe me, that's my crusdade!" Dealer has been upset, too, since they don't want to drive the car at all with its broken serpentine belt & so it's been sitting idle on one of their service bay hoists since 12/22.

Dealer also said they have no way of tracking parts until they reach the US -- another weakness in their system. They had better get their sh*t together soon, and my missing parts here even sooner, if they don't want me to dump the car & start spending some of my spare retirement time elaborating on these issues even more on numerous web sites.

Erik
January 10th, 2004, 14:40
From a credible witness...

LeMans quattro production being phased in...

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3033 :king:

Klint
January 11th, 2004, 12:48
I've also heard about production ceasing, for the RS6.

Doesn't bother me though, bring on the V10 Bi-Turbo RS6. :devil:

:cheers:

Finnus
January 11th, 2004, 18:08
bring on the V10 Bi-Turbo RS6

Say "Amen", Brother!

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict: