PDA

View Full Version : A seasonal ditty

GoFastKindaGuy
December 30th, 2003, 20:26
All together, now, 1, 2, 3...

The weather, to most, is frightful;
To an RS6, delightful.
Though others cannot go, we…
Drive in snow! Drive in snow! Drive in snow!

Beast shows no signs of stopping
And E55s are flopping.
The bi-xenons are turned to low.

Kiss rear wheel drive goodnight.
How I'll love going out in the storm!
Winter Sport M3s hold me tight;
By the time I’m home, they'll be warm.

My fire is slowly dying.
Friends with lesser cars are crying.
Quattro, I love you so.
:incar:

Erik
December 30th, 2003, 20:31
I think we just found a poet! :deal:

Who dares to post this on m5board.com? :D

Bauer
December 30th, 2003, 22:25
gofast-

Very nice indeed.....A little holiday cheer:cheers:

BTW- I am sure some of the guys on the M5 board would say an RS6 does not handel any better than an M5 in the snow. Some of the guys over there are in denial....its really kind of wierd. I posted today over there because a guy said a quattro does not handel better in the rain than a RWD car.:hmm:

JAXRS6
January 2nd, 2004, 01:08
Originally posted by Bauer
I posted today over there because a guy said a quattro does not handel better in the rain than a RWD car

Good for you, Bauer! As you know I'm going thru difficult times with my beast, so now I'm spending some time considering alternatives. It ain't a pretty picture, and poor RWD traction is a primary reason -- even with ESP or its variation in different brands.

I test drove an E55 for 40 miles last May and traction was an issue. Yesterday I drove a Vette; again, traction was an issue, worse than the E55. Ditto for the Mustang Cobra I tried the same day. All this in Florida & not even wet, except that there were some lingering puddles when I drove the E55.

Also, a few years ago a physician acquaintance was driving the then-new 5 Series in Michigan. I asked how he liked it; he said it was great -- except in winter, due to poor traction. He was considering Audi for his next car.

Snow
January 2nd, 2004, 09:17
Priceless! :hihi: Great little song. Now, all we need are some tunes to go along with that...

eph94
January 2nd, 2004, 18:05
Originally posted by Bauer
I am sure some of the guys on the M5 board would say an RS6 does not handel any better than an M5 in the snow. Some of the guys over there are in denial....its really kind of wierd. I posted today over there because a guy said a quattro does not handel better in the rain than a RWD car.:hmm:

Those Bimmer drivers are full of bodily waste products when they say their cars handle just as well in the rain and snow. Malarkey, I say!

When I had the 540, I couldn't believe my eyes at the number of people on the Bimmer boards who proclaimed the E39 to be an EXCELLENT winter vehicle. The 540 doesn't even have the HP and torque of the M5 and I was constantly losing grip, especially with the winter tires. Even when the snow melted from the roads, the residual sand from the salt/sand trucks caused big problems in terms of traction. When I would really NEED to enter the highway from a dead stop quickly, I'd find myself ripping right past first gear and into second (sometimes into third in a panic!) before the car would even hook up with the ground. And if I left the traction control on, it would get me on to the highway just in time to bog down the car and make the other drivers wonder why the heck I merged and then shut it down. Whenever I knew I would be driving in a situation where I would have to enter the highway from a stop during last winter (in this case Route 1 in Massachusetts) I would make sure to leave the 540 in the garage and take out the wife's X5 3.0. With the X5, mash the throttle and it went. And that's with an inferior AWD system. So for the Bimmerheads to say that RWD is just a good as AWD in the rain and snow, they TRULY are in denial.

I speak from objective experience. I have nothing against BMW (in fact I would buy an X5 again), but I'm also not BLINDED by the Roundel as many Bimmerheads are. The RWD Bimmers simply do not put the power to the ground with the aplomb of quattro.

I'm also not blinded by the Four Rings and quattro as my RS6 experience hasn't been everything I had hoped. If only Lexus could come up with an AWD car like the RS6, with the fit-and-finish, reliability, and warm-and-fuzzy dealership experience that Lexus is famous for... oh man. Oddly enough, my best dealership/service experiences ever were with NISSAN during a several year stretch when I had a Pathfinder and a Maxima. Too bad Nissan/Infiniti doesn't put out a product that excites me.

JAXRS6
January 3rd, 2004, 04:39
Originally posted by JJV-MA
Too bad Nissan/Infiniti doesn't put out a product that excites me.

What about the G35, which now offers AWD?

eph94
January 3rd, 2004, 19:01
Originally posted by JAXRS6
What about the G35, which now offers AWD?

I would like Lexus and Infiniti to come out with an AWD car in the same class as the RS6, E55, and M5. I wonder if they have it in them. The G35x just doesn't cut the mustard.