PDA

View Full Version : 996 TT anyone??

madmark
December 26th, 2003, 23:14
hi , Ive owned my rs6 for a while now and feel its time for a change, partly because Im worried about residuals etc . The car was origionally bought to be used for the family but you dont seem to transport the kids at 155 mph do you !!? Hence the rs6 hasnt been used much of late . A porker996 TT is avaiable to me and I was wondering if anyone had owned one and how they compare , also do the values hold up a little better .All in all Ive been happy with the rs6 apart from the value its lost !! By the way does anyone fancy making me a bid !!!!!!!! any help would be more than appreciated .

sturs6
December 27th, 2003, 02:48
Madmark,
Where are you located? :addict:

:addict:

Alan
December 27th, 2003, 19:55
A 6 speed 996tt is far better handling, faster and quicker , with better steering feel and braking then a RS6. Compared to a RS6, you feel like the 996tt is connected directly to your brain. If you want a reasonably comfortable super sports car that is for 2 people, the 996tt can't be beat.

The resale value on RS6's do/will suck, but the 996tt isn't holding up all that well either (but not anywhere as bad as a RS6).

(I owned a 996tt and C4S)

mike03rs6
December 29th, 2003, 00:10
what options, color,milage,etc? also where are you? thanks mike:ttaddict:

Erik
December 29th, 2003, 08:53
From a technical point of view, this might help:

:addict:

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=comparison1_e.asp?Car1=53%26Ca r2=4

Note the results @ Slalom Course 36 / 110m

littletommy
December 29th, 2003, 14:26
Madmark,
Different strokes for different folks. I traded my '02 996tt in for my RS6, and I have no regrets. It's not that I didn't like the Porsche, as I actually loved it, but decided I preferred having a Hi performance sedan. I've owned 3 Porsches over the last 4 years (2 of which were turbos, 993 & 996) and as a sports car, they're fantastic, but have their peculiarities. First off, they're not built for long distance cruising, not like a Viper, but tiring over long distance trips for me. Second, don't stray far from a gas station, as the range is around 220 miles between fill ups (small tank). Third, the interior is not luxurious, and in many respects the interior trim on Porsches is downright chintzy (the radios are also a joke and after just a few thousand miles multiple rattles). 4th, If you play golf, you'll really enjoy getting your clubs in the back. 5th, resale value, I'm sure you'll probably take a bath selling the RS6, but we're taking cars here not mutual funds-cars are wasting assets. Porsche turbo values have dropped significantly over the last 9 months. I bought mine for $108K with 1500 miles Sticker was $126K), and traded it for the RS6 7 months later with 9500 Mi. on the clock and struggled to get out of writing a check to get the Audi (call it $89 in trade for the Porsche). The Audi dealer struggled to get out of the car. Their asking was $99, and after 2 1/2 months they told me they would be happy to sell it for what they gave me, as the best offer thay had on it was $87. I think they just sold it in the last two weeks, but I'll bet there are at least a dozen more for sale here in Chicago. Porsche also knows the market is saturated, 911 production is way down, and they plan on reducing the number of turbos imported in the the States to 2000 or so from 5000 the last two years when they sold over list. Wait until the new generation 911 comes out I think in 2004. I'll bet the depreciation curve will steepen on the 996. Unlike the 993, many Porschephiles didn't care for the 996. I owned both , and felt overall the 996 was a more drivable car, but the 993 had more character and passion.

Enough of the criticism of the Porsche, they really are great cars. Except for minor irritations mentioned above, as a driver's car they are absolutely unbelievable, street or track (take it on Road America-instant Track God), and they can take a lot of abuse, not to mention you'll get a lot of attention on the road (get used to having to dust off all kinds of challengers-you'll win especially if you don't mind doing clutch dumps at 4000 RPM). If you do decide to get a treat form Zuffenhausen, I'd strongly recommend getting the x50 package.

Have fun.

Littletommy

noushy
December 30th, 2003, 17:22
I realize that these two vehicles are very different. The RS6 is a car you can use almost all of the time. It is a practical 4door family sedan that will keep you happy and entertained 99% of the time. The 996TT is not meant to fulfill the same purpose. It is small, cramped, and difficult for long distances. It is fast, handles well, and is built to Porsche standards, which says a lot. Think of it as a two door coupe version of the RS6. Resale of 996TT here in Michigan sucks. There are a half dozen specialty high end dealers that will sell you one for $80k, with less than 10k miles, and no older than 2002. That goes to show you that the RS6 is not all that bad. Yes. it will depreciate, but in the long run, not as much because it is rare, and once sold out, the price will stabilize. Do not buy a car as an investment, but rather because you enjoy it everyday. If it makes you happy, keeps your blood pressure down (take this from a doctor :)), and does what you ask of it, its PERFECT!

Bauer
December 30th, 2003, 22:34
You heard it here first. Drive an RS6 its good for your health....doctors orders:D :D

hey can I get a prescription......:cheers:

madmark
December 30th, 2003, 22:45
thanks for your info , maybe ill keep hold of it for a bit longer !
Im located on the wirral uk The spec of my car is mugello blue with silver leather 4000 miles 03 totaly immaculate literally as new.Im open to offers but nothing silly ! To be honest if the rs6 was manual i wouldnt be selling it , maybe ill hang on for a conversion.