PDA

View Full Version : Small engine problem

McBurn4ever
December 20th, 2003, 21:34
I have a howling/whining-sound from the engine at ~2600 rpm when the engine is cold.
The sound lasts for about ½-1 minute, then its gone.
Otherwise everythings fine with the car..so far..

Anyone else having the same problem as me?

The Audidealer tells me that this is a known problem (according to Audi in Germany) and at this point Audi don't have any plans to solv it. :confused: :confused:

smerayo
December 21st, 2003, 09:53
Yes, i have the same experience when the car is cold. Once it warms up, it s gone. It ONLY happens when the 2nd gear is on.
Hope this helps.

McBurn4ever
December 21st, 2003, 14:16
Originally posted by smerayo
Yes, i have the same experience when the car is cold. Once it warms up, it s gone. It ONLY happens when the 2nd gear is on.
Hope this helps.

Thanx! Then I'm not alone.. :roll:
A guy over at the AW-forum said it was the Air Induction pump...
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/49640.phtml

Feels strange to just accept that the sound is there..

Audihead
December 24th, 2003, 14:07
Originally posted by McBurn4ever
I have a howling/whining-sound from the engine at ~2600 rpm when the engine is cold.
The sound lasts for about ½-1 minute, then its gone.
Otherwise everythings fine with the car..so far..

Anyone else having the same problem as me?

The Audidealer tells me that this is a known problem (according to Audi in Germany) and at this point Audi don't have any plans to solv it. :confused: :confused:

I have the same noises on my 2003 Disco & 2001 BMW Z3. It does the exact same thing for about a minute then goes away. I don't think it's a problem, I believe it's part of the starting and run-up process of most modern cars. Happy Holidays to you and yours.
:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

McBurn4ever
December 25th, 2003, 21:56
Thanx! Happy Holidays to you to.. :roll: :roll:

I'm starting to believe that what you (and others) are saying is true, but still I find it a bit strange since I can't recall hearing it on any other car...

And one more thing!
People at my work that have heard the sound have asked my if there is something wrong with the car..
One even said: -I think you have to tighten your fan belt! :error:

Audihead
December 26th, 2003, 03:11
Yes, I know what you mean. On my Bimmer it sounds like a few little birds chirping then it stops. God I hate the double Vanos system on BMW's, especally the death rattle when you shut them off. On the the Disco it sounds like a baby jet engine spooling up, then then winding down when it stops. I know it's strange, but both car and truck are performing at peak. Again Happy Holidays.

McBurn4ever
December 26th, 2003, 18:43
Originally posted by Bimmerhead
Yes, I know what you mean. On my Bimmer it sounds like a few little birds chirping then it stops. God I hate the double Vanos system on BMW's, especally the death rattle when you shut them off. On the the Disco it sounds like a baby jet engine spooling up, then then winding down when it stops. I know it's strange, but both car and truck are performing at peak. Again Happy Holidays.

That's a good description of the sound.. :)
I think that we have narrowed it down to something between howling, whining and a couple of birds chirping...

Btw:
You are talking about "the disco"... Is that a car?
Never heard of it..
Hey you...don't start laughing now! :roll: :roll:
I'm not from the US..I live in Sweden...

Audihead
December 27th, 2003, 04:31
By "Disco", I meant Land Rover Disovery. Sorry for any confusion, I shorten it because that's the slang in the States.
-Bimmerhead

jrem1969
January 20th, 2004, 03:01
just got my 2004 s4 last week and i have noticed that also. mine starts whining in the morning when i first start it up and pull out. it happens at around 1500 rpm and chirps on and off till about 2500 rpm in the 1st 3 gears. after about a mile or two it goes away. very unsettling. i asked my dealer and they knew nothing of it. i was beginning to wonder if i had a bad one, but since i am not the only one i will calm down a little bit.:s4addict:

Audihead
January 20th, 2004, 16:30
Originally posted by jrem1969
just got my 2004 s4 last week and i have noticed that also. mine starts whining in the morning when i first start it up and pull out. it happens at around 1500 rpm and chirps on and off till about 2500 rpm in the 1st 3 gears. after about a mile or two it goes away. very unsettling. i asked my dealer and they knew nothing of it. i was beginning to wonder if i had a bad one, but since i am not the only one i will calm down a little bit.:s4addict:

Just a thought, do you guys just fire-up your cars and take off. Do you not let the car run for a minute or so to let the rings seat and let the oil circulate before you hammer it? I know most owners manuals say not to let the cars idle too long, but I've never had a problem. I also don't have an oil consumption problem between changes either, plus pretty nil on the engine wear as well.

jrem1969
January 21st, 2004, 04:42
i usually let mine idle for about a minute to get the juices flowing and warm. the noise started on mine at about 300 miles and i have about 1000 now. it only happens on a cold startup. if i shut it off to inside somewhere and come back out and fire it up it doesn't do it(less than 3 hours). my dealer says they will check everything out when i bring it in for the 5000 mile. i really have no complaints with the car because nothing has gone wrong and it performs great. everything runs fine with it. but still a strange noise just tends to make me feel nervous. hopefully somebody will finally figure this one out.:s4addict:

Audihead
January 21st, 2004, 19:59
As I posted earlier in this thread, it seems to be a cold start run-up process of most new cars. My '03 Disco and '01 BMW do the same thing you are describing.