PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changes

john hulbrock
December 16th, 2003, 01:50
I was just at my dealer and he informed me that if I elect to change the oil at my normal 5000 mile intervals then the "extra " oil and filter service will cost OVER 200 dollars since they have to remove the air box to access the oil filter!! I have always changed the oil and filter every 5000 miles - Has anyone had the oil filter changed in this way? Is there a less labor intensive way to get to the oil filter?
John

Benman
December 16th, 2003, 02:08
Hello John,

The price is actually not so suprising considering that the oil ALONE is $160.00!!!! ($16.00 a qt x 10 qts!). Add @ 1 hour labor (most dealers charge $69.00 - $90.00 per hour) and there's your over $200.00 cost.

You should be more than OK just going by what Audi pays for as the oil is FULL synthetic and has a much longer lifespan. :cheers:

Ben:addict: P.S. If anyone can find where i can buy the oil other than the dealer let me know. I've tried all kinds of places and as of a month ago, nothing.

nyrs6
December 16th, 2003, 02:13
you should not have to pay for an oil change every 5000 miles audi covers that for 50,000 miles together with warranty

Alan
December 16th, 2003, 11:11
Look at your service manual that came with the car - it shows that the car is to have the 5K oil change. This is to be covered by Audi for the warranty period.
Do not necessarily trust the on-board service indicator - at 4500 miles, mine read "next service due in 5500 miles" indicating that my first oil change is at 10K miles - not correct.

Bauer
December 16th, 2003, 16:03
Susposed to be every 5000 miles not 10,000, had mine done at the 5k mark and the next one is 10K.

RS6FEVR
December 16th, 2003, 17:58
:cheers: John
I picked up from this forum a note about the 5K oil change (neither I nor the dealer saw it originally) and service when I was at 7700 on the odo. Brought it to the attention of my dealer and service department and they made the appointment and did the change then; all as part of the "normal" RS6 service routine. They told me to do the 10K at about 11500 and that would of course also be covered under the normal maintenance. I believe we then go on a 10K frequency until we reach the 50K mark. I think Benman is correct in assuming that the quality of the oil being used is going to allow more than 5k miles between changes. Earlier posts indicated that the formulation was "pretty special" and appropriate for these beasts! :D :D

:addict: FEVR :addict:

JAXRS6
December 16th, 2003, 18:42
U.S. maintenance book shows (on page 5), and Audi Advantage pays for, oil changes and maintenance at 5K miles, 15K, 25K, 35K, 45K -- and then the interval changes again, to 50K, then 65K. There is no 10K mile oil change, unless owner pays. Owner's manual, maintenance booklet (which is separate), warranty and other literature that came with the RS6 -- this is important stuff considering what we paid for these cars. Methinks some of us, from owners to dealer techs and service writers, need to spend more time reading them.

Bauer
December 16th, 2003, 18:44
thanks,

for some reason I thought I read a 10k service somewhere. Thanks for catching:cheers:

JAXRS6
December 16th, 2003, 19:05
Originally posted by Bauer
Thanks for catching:cheers:

No problem, I have appreciated many of your posts.

RS6FEVR
December 16th, 2003, 19:08
:cheers: all
Thanks Jax, absolutely confirmed by my not often read manual!!! :eek: :eek: I definitely have to get on my dealer to bone up on the "actual" service requirements!! :error: :error:

:addict: FEVR :addict: