View Full Version : Debating First Stage CHIP - I have a Question

ShankRS6
December 11th, 2003, 21:57
I am about to Chip the car.

What does the ECU for the tranny really do? - IE: APR

Those of you who have tried the APR, does this Tranny ECU
controll the smoothness?

Raised RPM ?

Does the shifting act more Jerky as you increase the torque/HP?

Why am I asking? I am on a temporary trial basis with a chip (Will mention it later) and the shifts seem bit more jerky. Is that normal with the addional HP/TQ or will the tranny ecu address that. The current trial chip only address the engine ecu, so thats why I am asking.

Thanks for your upcoming responses.

Ryan

:cheers:

nene
December 12th, 2003, 13:26
A few of the chips that I've heard of made changes to the engine management as well as tranny management software.

Personally I can't vouch for any of them, as I've not tried any.
I've had an MTM chip on my S4 for about 30K miles now, and I really like it. I've had no issues, but on the S4 the chips are engine management only. Tranny management is separate.

However, we'd love to hear of this chip you are trying out. How long you've had it for, and how long will the testing will take place? Brand name, price, and where to get it from? Finally, and most importantly, your experience with it in various driving scenarios (city driving with and without traffic, highway, off the line, etc.).

Good luck!

gjg
December 12th, 2003, 13:51
with MTM you can, in first two stages, do engine management only with optional transmission reprograming. From 535 up they say both.
=======
Various: - Gearbox-programming for AUDI RS6 for a sporty, comfortably shifting only "recommodation", not neccessary until 535hp conversion

http://www.mtm-online.de/html_en/preisliste.php4?Modell=RS6&FZID=RS6331Q

Speed Technik
December 15th, 2003, 21:48
It all depends on the chip maker. I can only speak for what we use. O.CT and APR

O.CT (I.e. Marcus himself) software does not require a tip chip. What is recommended is that the car be in "S" for spirited driving. We have put several thousand miles on our in-house RS6 with no problems what so ever. The shifts are buttery smooth and effortless, no slamming or clunking. To date we have done 18 RS6 packages and not one car has had a single issue. There are also 2 different ECU's pending on your option package which could come into play aswell.

APR's setup at this time is packaged with Tip software. We ran the car with their software and it did not perform like the O.CT. However, the APR version we were running is not the final code and we were testing it for them so things could have change by now but they have not sent us a new file since the last.

With that being said, we are only using O.CT for RS6's and APR for the regular Audi chip work which btw is great for those of you looking for out of the box performance for vehicles other than the RS6.

Anyone interested in more RS6 info, email me directly, thanks.

http://www.freewebs.com/speedtechnik/SpeedTechnik%2Dsignature.jpg

gjg
December 16th, 2003, 06:27
Brian, the "several thou miles" drive tests in US will never test the car the way it is tested in Germany. So long term effect of such software re-write is yet to be seen.

MTM, Abt and some other have years of experience with Audi engines and long track record.

Noticed your comment on APR package - if I recall correctly there was at least one member of the list who had quite problems with OCT software as well.

Disclaimer
No affiliation with any manufacturer or tuner.

Speed Technik
December 16th, 2003, 13:24
GJG, I completely here what you are saying and do agree on the US vs. Euro cars in terms of abuse etc... However, I do check in with my RS6 clients to check up on them on a regular basis to see how the cars are running. I know a US RS6 will never be constantly driven hard like a Euro car but they do say they drive their cars hard.

As far as an O.CT issue goes, we have not encountered one yet but should we do, we will take care of it. As always, if you guys run into issues, I like to be informed of them because knowledge is experience/power etc...

iconcls
December 16th, 2003, 14:09
Originally posted by gjg
if I recall correctly there was at least one member of the list who had quite problems with OCT software as well.

I think you might be alluding to AvusRS6's issue, which ultimately was tracked down to a faulty solenoid and not the O.CT ECU.

jgun81
December 16th, 2003, 15:24
as far as I remember nobody(although not many people got O.CT chip) on board had problems with O.CT products.

Speed Technik
December 16th, 2003, 15:55
We ran into a few issues with the different ECU boards and Marcus (Mr. O.CT himself) made himself available 24/7 until the problem was identified and resolved.

It wasn't a problem per say, we just need different coding for the different style of boards and Marcus was on it like white on rice. He has written custom software for us on several occasions and there has never been a problem.

If there was a problem, I am 100% confident that he would do whatever he had to do to make it right. We firmly believe in the O.CT product.