PDA

View Full Version : Cold, Fresh water aquarium help

Klint
December 7th, 2003, 12:17
Hi,

Just had an aquarium installed, with angel fish, mini frogs etc in it...Looks nice!

But, I also have gold fish, and the temperature of the aquarium is 76 degrees (fahrenheit) or 24 degrees celcius. I'm wondering if the gold fish can survive in the aquarium, without any difficulties? Thanks in advanced.

:cheers:

Erik
December 7th, 2003, 17:58
Better watch 'Finding Nemo' ;)

Benman
December 8th, 2003, 01:42
Gold fish are quite hardy and will be fine in water that is in the high 70's. As long as the change is gradual and not sudden.

Ben

Klint
December 8th, 2003, 20:51
Thanks Benman!

I did a google and it says exactly what you've mentioned. I was 50/50 with it, but I love the gold fish and they seem happy as they are, in the colder waters. I'll have to buy another large fish tank for these two gold fish this christmas...hope they appreciate it! :hihi:

Benman
February 26th, 2007, 17:55
Klint,

Long time no check up! :D

How are the fish doing? Started thinking of them as I am finally getting back into Koi after a several year hiatus (i.e. busy with other stuff). So, all doing well? :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
February 26th, 2007, 18:16
Klint,

Go for some Mollys, you can get them in the same colour as Goldfish, they are meant for 24C and are as hardy as they come. I have quite a few in my tank.

Klint
February 27th, 2007, 12:18
Wow, is that how long ago when i posted this thread? :bigeyes:

The Goldfish are doing extremely well, they seem to keep growing bigger and bigger, slowly but surely! Thanks for asking...

They must be at least five years old now. :bigeyes:

Benman
February 27th, 2007, 16:42
The Goldfish are doing extremely well, they seem to keep growing bigger and bigger, slowly but surely!

Yep, they sure do! In fact, most people don't realize that a "lowly" common goldfish will out live most dogs! So yeah, they keep growing and growing... :D

If you ever get the chance for an outdoor pond, they'll grow even more!

My koi are getting bigger and bigger as the years go by. Got most of them when I first bought them were just tiny little guys... I'll have to post some pics... :cheers:

Klint
February 27th, 2007, 17:15
That's great pics would be nice!

So, is Koi different to Goldfish? Was once told Goldfish turn to Koi eventually... :vhmmm:

The cars in the background are real! (to 1:18 scale anyway lol) Just shows how much they've grown over the years... ;)

Benman
February 27th, 2007, 23:33
Yes, both are carp and in same families, but different deals. Koi are actually directly descended from wild carp (gold fish are too, but a different type of smaller carp), so grow very big and are long lived. Comets and commons (gold fish) can both grow up to 12", so pretty good size. They also can live for nearly 20 years.

Now, koi, these big beasts can actually grow to more than 3 feet! and live for more than 70-100 years! In fact, one documented koi in Japan (one of the formal gardens was reportedly 200 years old when it finally died and I think it was close to 4'!)...

So no, a gold fish would not actually turn into a koi over time, nor would it look just like one (but they do look similar). They do get along just fine though, so you could have both in the same pond.

Anyway... enough blabber... here's my pond:

1:Outside view front back porch. Just under 4000 gallons.
2:Feeding time
3: View from living room.

Klint
February 28th, 2007, 12:34
Ben,

Great set-up there! Those Koi look big aswell! :D

Are you not too worried about prey getting to them?

Here we have far too many seagulls around to risk keeping any fish outside unprotected from prey.

Erik
February 28th, 2007, 14:48
Great sea view! :D

Benman
February 28th, 2007, 16:13
Great sea view! :D :applause:

When I sell the home, I'm thinking of listing it "water view" ;)

Klint,

Seagulls don't worry me as these fish are a little too big for them and the pond has a depth of 4.5'. What does worry me are herons! Those darn birds are scourges! One showed up a few years ago a wreaked havoc on my pond injuring three koi and killing one. Bastage. The wife tried shooting it with the pellet gun (federally protected bird) but it flew away before she could get off a clean shot.

This time I'll be getting one of those "decoy" herons they sell. As they are solo birds (very territorial), they won't land if they see another heron already there.

Benman
March 1st, 2007, 01:27
Too late Leadfoot, I saw your message before you could delete it. ;)

No, you're spot on mate, Herons give koi owners the chills! Those bastages!

Actually, heard another idea I like better than the fake heron... using a rubber koi anchored to the pond floor. The heron goes for the easiest kill (being the rubber one) and will proceed to spear it. This gives the real koi time to run for the bottom where they're safe. Might try that one instead. :cheers:

Leadfoot
March 1st, 2007, 16:07
I just seen your post after I had wrote mine and as we were saying the same thing I deleted mine.

The rubber koi sounds a good idea but over here herons are protected some there is very little you can do. Good depth and plant coverage is about it.

I myself am more into tropical in-door tanks. Start one up for my son and now I have catch the bug.

Benman
March 1st, 2007, 20:09
The rubber koi sounds a good idea but over here herons are protected some there is very little you can do.

They're protected here as well, but then, so are California Grizzly Bears. And if I saw one in my back yard, mauling our family dog, you can bet I'd get the family shot gun and shoot it dead, penalties be darned. So too if a "protected" heron come into my backyard and proceeds to maul one of my koi. They are just as cherished as a family pet, and I'll be happy to pay the fee for killing the animal that murdered my pet. ;) But... to be Mr. Nice Guy, I could always shoot it with a paint pellet gun. No crime against that...

I myself am more into tropical in-door tanks. Start one up for my son and now I have catch the bug.

So are we! I no longer have a fish tank (had 3 in the past) but still love em'. RIght now, we have a 600 gallon salt water tank at our one shop, beautiful. I will have to post pics some time. :cheers:

Leadfoot
March 4th, 2007, 00:26
So are we! I no longer have a fish tank (had 3 in the past) but still love em'. RIght now, we have a 600 gallon salt water tank at our one shop, beautiful. I will have to post pics some time. :cheers:

I have been toying with the idea of a salt water tropical tank but everyone says they are hard work. I reckon I will go with a 300 litre tropical fresh water and maybe in a few years when I have the courage I will look again at the salties.

Benman
March 5th, 2007, 18:34
I have been toying with the idea of a salt water tropical tank but everyone says they are hard work.

They are about the same difficulty as a freshwater planted tank with co2.

300L =@79.25 gallons. Good size tank. Try that first before going into saltwater.:cheers:

Leadfoot
March 5th, 2007, 22:12
Agreed. The only one saying the saltwater tank first is the sales staff but they would.

Benman
March 6th, 2007, 00:46
Agreed. The only one saying the saltwater tank first is the sales staff but they would. LOL!!! So true! Sales people! :nana: