PDA

View Full Version : Wow, what a snow car!

Alan
December 5th, 2003, 23:24
Just went out for a nice run to test the RS6 in the first snow of the season. I have Tirerack's RS6 package - 225/45 Dunlop Winter Sports mounted on ATI wheels. Amazing that 450 hp can feel so good in the snow. The awd/tire package provides terrific grip and confidence.

Truly appears to be the perfect all- weather car I hoped it would be. Go out and play in the snow (with the right tires)!

krm
December 5th, 2003, 23:32
Was going to post a new thread inquiring how RS6 owners are dealing with the snowy roads (especially since the first snow storm just hit the NY metro area today). Sounds like I got the response I was looking for!

Enjoy it and drive safely!

:cheers:

coopsrs6
December 6th, 2003, 00:36
My 14 yr. old son & I took a 5AM run over Snoqualmie Pass last Fri & we were amazed at the control,smooth power app.,overall sweet handling in a blizzard--We have owned too many 4x4 trucks & suv types --the RS6 Blows them all away --we had the factory tires on--on the way home it rained & was melting slush for 40 miles--same deal--perfect manners. Oh yes, the headlights worked awesome! I have stone gard on the car--it did not save my paint on leading edge of rear wheel opening!

JAXRS6
December 6th, 2003, 01:40
Originally posted by coopsrs6
... we were amazed at the control --we had the factory tires on

That's almost too amazing to believe, so let me make sure I understand: The high performance rubber that came with your RS6 works well in snow? What tires did you get?

Mine came with Pirelli PZeros -- and warnings from the owner's manual & the dealer to not use them in snow. Also, I've read elsewhere that high performance tires are made of a compound that starts to lose traction below 40 degrees F, even without snow.

eph94
December 6th, 2003, 04:18
Originally posted by JAXRS6
Also, I've read elsewhere that high performance tires are made of a compound that starts to lose traction below 40 degrees F, even without snow.

I would agree with that. Before I mounted dedicated snows, I noticed a loss of traction with my stock Pirelli Pzeros at temps in the mid-35s even with bone dry roads. I wouldn't dare trying to run three-season tires in the winter. Quattro is useless if the tires are rock hard and have no traction.

coopsrs6
December 6th, 2003, 04:48
I did not expect the snow---our forcast was for dry & warm. We had 28F when in the snow with ice on the road surface under 4-5in. of snow. I dont intend on a repeat with the Dunlop 9000,they did great in a pinch tho. Also only 550+- miles on them when we left. Last & not least,I drive in 30-40F here with no traction loss RS6 & S8. The S8 tires are @ 19000 mi. so I do not get as aggressive with wifes car.

TheBrit
December 6th, 2003, 08:13
In my experience the P Zeros are very bad in the cold - I took delivery this time last year with Zeros on from the factory. Because Britain (well, my part of it!) doesn't get much snow at all, and the weather can change drastically from day to day, winter tyres aren't commonplace here.

I've previously run Conti SportContact and Dunlop SP9000 in winter and the occasional snow and I've had no real problems.

Erik
December 6th, 2003, 09:59
I have a lot of experience of driving in snow and ice.

quattro is excellent! But one has to remember that even with summer tires you can floor it and as long as you have all four tires in the same direction the amount of acceleration will be astonishing.

But, and it's a big but, as soon as you want to stop or change direction you will have huge problemos.
A car with quattro will stop in no shorter distance than any car, probably the opposite due to the added weight.

So be careful and always use the right tires as well as keeping a mind on the amount of friction you have.

If in doubt, try braking, steering where it's safe.

The first snow arrived this night in Stockholm. I always take my car for a spin on a large open plane to find the limits, every year.

Finnus
December 6th, 2003, 16:46
The first snow arrived this night in Stockholm. I always take my car for a spin on a large open plane to find the limits, every year.

Erik,

I agree. 1st snow, I always take the car out to an empty parking lot to test the limits and readjust to conditions. I went to an AUdi Driving School this past fall. I've been waiting so I can test my new skills with under and oversteer in conditions where its very easy to create them.

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

Bauer
December 6th, 2003, 17:43
Seems like the BMW M5 boys see things a little differently......looks like some may even need some Prozac:D :D

I LOVE THE SNOW......Quattro NOT a BMW M5 option!!!!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37293

Have FUN in your Quattros and enjoy the winter:cheers:

Alan
December 6th, 2003, 20:16
they know that their vehicles suck in the winter even with snow tires on. I get a kick out of the M3 guys telling each other how well the M3 handles the snow. They forget to mention that snow tires + icy roads + BMW's intrusive DCS = a car that goes no where, and sometimes exactly at the wrong time. Try making a turn at a traffic light on a slippery road with a semi bearing down from the other direction. DSC comes on and the power is shut off to the wheels and you pray as you inch your way across the turn.

Part of the reason I own an Audi.