PDA

View Full Version : How about squeaks or rattles?

ksurg
December 1st, 2003, 03:56
My only complaint about my A6 has been squeaks and rattles beginning at 15K miles. Anyone have that problem with their RS-6? My 540i also had some rattles but my Porsche is surprising quiet for such a stiff chasis. I'm hoping the RS-6 will be more like my Porsche.

MileHighRS6
December 1st, 2003, 04:56
3600 miles. The driver's door rattles when I go over bumps in the road.

nene
December 1st, 2003, 05:05
My RS6 has 6K miles on, and there is a small rattle that shows up over roads that are sort of grooved from being old pavement.
The rattle is on the passenger's side A-pillar area.
Have not had time to diagnose it yet, since it's not really much of an issue, but I need to get to it soon.

JAXRS6
December 1st, 2003, 06:21
Originally posted by ksurg
... my Porsche is surprising quiet for such a stiff chasis.

Geez, I would think a stiff chassis HELPS keep it quiet. Wouldn't looseness lead to rattles & squeaks?

In any case I am rattle-free at 12K miles, and my S4 is, too, with 47K miles. The RS6 does have a squeak from the front suspension, driver's side, when I drive onto an incline in a certain way. But I haven't done that for weeks so it's no big deal.

TheBrit
December 1st, 2003, 12:13
I have three:

1. Thudding/rattle from the base of the driver's side B pillar, very low down. Sounds like something moving about behind the plastic trim down there. Only happens when the car is cold.

2. Squeaky front seats. Both seats squeak when going over bumps if occupied.

3. Rear seat catches squeak.

I'd say the last two are probably just needing a bit of lubrication, but the B pillar rattle probably needs some dismantling and checking.

Muju
December 1st, 2003, 12:15
My 2003 A4 1.8T Back seat sqeeks all over the place. Its god damn horrible sounds. I have to always listen to music in my car.=) hehe

also my gear nob sqeeks when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Ah the quality is so nice. @%"¤&!!:bow:

sturs6
December 1st, 2003, 12:42
originally posted by JAXRS6
The RS6 does have a squeak from the front suspension, driver's side, when I drive onto an incline in a certain way.

I have this same problem. I am bringing the car in for the 5000 mile service I think ( but that is another thread) and will have them look at that and also some other noise from the suspension that occurs on roughly paved roads it does not occur on asphalt.

Alan
December 1st, 2003, 14:17
RS6 squeaks and rattles are about equivalent (little to none) to my '02 C4S and '01 turbo, and far less than my '99 C2 had.

Overall fairly squeak and rattle free

Bauer
December 1st, 2003, 16:44
Jaxrs6, Sturs6-

I think I have the same problem with my car....when I drive up my driveway at slow speeds and turn to left or right I get a moaning noise out of the front suspension. I havent noticied it any other time except going up hill and turning at slow speeds???? Is this the same thing you guys are talking about? Other than that no noises as far as rattles and squeaks....except the breaks a little:D

GmbHouse
December 1st, 2003, 21:26
I get that same "moaning" sound too, albeit infrequently. I was thinking it was from the power stearing rather than the suspension.

JAXRS6
December 2nd, 2003, 03:07
I heard the front suspension driver's side squeaking only when driving through a particular alley near my Michigan home; goes like this:

Alley -- OK
Enter street to cross it -- OK
Re-enter alley after crossing street -- squeak!

The re-entering part is like a driveway with a semi-steep incline -- steep enough that I slow down, then hear the squeak as I go up the incline. Doesn't happen at home because my driveway incline is much less steep.

sturs6
December 2nd, 2003, 04:11
I have heard the squeaking in two different positions.
1. On an incline going into my garage.
2. In reverse on occassion.

But actually both or on occassion neither occur regularly.
:confused:

:addict:

gnomik007
December 2nd, 2003, 04:13
Same sound here.It really does sound as powersteering but not too sure.Has anyone got any details on what exactly it is?

sturs6
December 2nd, 2003, 04:22
I am hoping that my dealer will enlighten me on Friday when I take it in and leave for the day. I keep telling it to look at it like a day at the spa.:hihi:

RS6FEVR
December 2nd, 2003, 17:29
:cheers: all
Well, after adding 4500 miles to the beast over last six weeks,(total now 8500) to Tucson and back, I have one squeak, no rattles and one hiss (which is evident all the time, key in or out)!!! :bang: :bang:
The squeak can be initiated intermittently by sitting on the drivers side, rear passenger seat (feet on ground) and bouncing up and down. Sometime the shocks/rear suspension makes the squeak and sometimes it doesn't? The car interior while driving simply does not show any evidence of rattles to this point. Very pleased with the "tightness" and interior assembly. Now, this last hiss thing is really perplexing! :bigeyes: In my car, on the passenger side B pillar, half way down, is a small approximate 1" square speaker type opening in the plastic (not molded, but rather perfed to allow sound) from which emits a constant hiss? I can put my hand over it (actually have taped over it) and reduce the noise level, but it is producing sound all of the time. Obviously, this sound is more apparent when the car engine is not running, but it can be heard when you are moving too. I have yet to find out if it is the OnStar speaker or the navigation voice, or radio. When turning off the engine I get a loud accoustical pop from one of the above sources which I can't seem to isolate. So, upshot is that the car is going to the "spa" on Thrusday to 1. replace the OnStar battery which failed in AZ and turned the light solid red, and 2. find out where this hiss is originating and 3. see what the dealer can do about that "bocce" ball sound eminating from the front seat back (also an intermittent malady)?
Those are my issues and nothing else to report, other than, I still love this car. My favorite machine to date!
:addict: FEVR :addict:

sturs6
December 2nd, 2003, 18:43
RS6FEVR,
Check this thread (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2277) out in reference to the Hiss. I had the same problem and then one day it stopped. It has happened one other time but did not continue.
Who knows :confused:

RS6FEVR
December 2nd, 2003, 20:15
:cheers: stu
Thanks a lot for the thread and sorry I missed your post on the subject. Very interesting that you had one other short duration of noise and then it stopped? How long did it go the first time. I'm at about 10 days now. Presume you have sat radio and nav? I could swear it's one of these that's causing the noise. I'll bring up the shielding thing to the dealership as a solution for some of the noise others have had with their RS6's, although I'm really not getting "whine feedback" from the radio (neither sat nor standard). Absolute correct on the "fast enough no sound thing" :D :D :D
Appreciate it.

:addict: FEVR :addict:

sturs6
December 2nd, 2003, 20:24
It went on for about 2 or 3 weeks. The dealer told me it may be the OnStar but I called them and it sounded like it came from all of the speakers not just the one. :confused: It is confusing though. I hope you get it worked out, maybe it will stop for you too.
Take Care

GmbHouse
December 2nd, 2003, 21:24
I think I discovered the cause of the bocce ball effect. The seatbacks for the front are only attached at the top and bottom, not the sides. The side surfaces are both leather and when you are seated in them they rub together. This produces the feeling that there is something rattling around behind the seat. I'm reluctant to apply a silicon based product to the leather but I bet it would solve the problem.

john hulbrock
December 6th, 2003, 16:29
I noticed rattles and squeaks from the passenger side back seat since new- it is getting worse- always over bumps, etc. I was at Audi yesterday and talked to their rs6 tech (not the service advisor)- This is a KNOWN problem to audi- it seems the ECU unit is under the rear seat passenger side and the seat rubs against it causing the noises. The cure is to put a layer of foam between the two. he will do this at the 5000 mile service.
I also note a gap between the window trim and the body on the rear of the fixed rear window (d pillar) that is about 3/8 inch wide so that the trim is not flush with the body- if fact i can see the clips - Again this is a KNOWN problem with the RS6- ( strange that my A6 does not have this trim fit problem) but they do not have a fix for it yet.

JH

eph94
December 6th, 2003, 21:14
Originally posted by john hulbrock
I noticed rattles and squeaks from the passenger side back seat since new- it is getting worse- always over bumps, etc. I was at Audi yesterday and talked to their rs6 tech (not the service advisor)- This is a KNOWN problem to audi- it seems the ECU unit is under the rear seat passenger side and the seat rubs against it causing the noises. The cure is to put a layer of foam between the two. he will do this at the 5000 mile service.
I also note a gap between the window trim and the body on the rear of the fixed rear window (d pillar) that is about 3/8 inch wide so that the trim is not flush with the body- if fact i can see the clips - Again this is a KNOWN problem with the RS6- ( strange that my A6 does not have this trim fit problem) but they do not have a fix for it yet.

JH

My car has developed those same rattles and squeaks, especially in cold weather. I assumed it was the child seat, but that didn't make any sense since I had that same child seat in a previous car without squeaks. Now I know. I also noticed that the window trim is not as flush as it should be. It kinds of reminds me of what I would see on an old General Motors car. I'm a little disappointed, but what the heck, it certainly doesn't affect my driving experience.

sturs6
December 9th, 2003, 23:34
originally posted by JAXRS6:
The RS6 does have a squeak from the front suspension, driver's side, when I drive onto an incline in a certain way.
Jax I just got my car back from service and they tell me the problem has been fixed. The service sheet says that the repositioned the wheel house liner

Bauer
December 9th, 2003, 23:49
Thanks for the help mine has the same problem.:cheers:

sturs6
December 19th, 2003, 20:53
Well I am back with the squeak from the front suspension. It happened again today.I will be back in service again for this in a few days hopefully. :mad: :confused: