PDA

View Full Version : Do any of the RS6s have the dreaded Vibration problem?

mtmnet
November 30th, 2003, 17:43
Do any of the RS6s have the dreaded Vibration problem?

Alan
November 30th, 2003, 20:29
I've put 5000 miles on it in 3 months and so far it is rock solid, no vibration whatsoever.

This long time BMW and Porsche owner is very happy with the RS6,, so far.

iconcls
November 30th, 2003, 22:10
TheBrit has mentioned he has a post-tire-rotation vibe.

Erik
November 30th, 2003, 22:52
Rarely mentioned. Once perhaps.

JAXRS6
December 1st, 2003, 03:16
No vibration yet @ 12,000+ miles, including speeds to 155 mph (but mostly 60-79 mph).

nene
December 1st, 2003, 05:10
No vibs here. Car has 6K miles... knock on wood!

TheBrit
December 1st, 2003, 12:10
Originally posted by iconcls
TheBrit has mentioned he has a post-tire-rotation vibe.
Correct, I still do have. To be fair to the car and to the dealer, I haven't actually gotten round to doing anything about it yet, so it might be something simple like a balance problem.

However, it does have exactly the same symptoms as I had in the S8 and (a lot worse) in the 2.7T before that, so I'm concerned it may be the dreaded vibration.

Personally, I think a combination of road quality and driving style has an impact on the likeyhood of the problem occurring. I sometimes drive "close to the edge" on very poor quality backroads, and I can feel the punishment the wheels and suspension must be taking.

Given that a Hunter 9700 "road force" balance is often claimed to be a cure, I wouldn't be surprised to find that a small depression or pothole in the road somewhere has bent a wheel out of round slightly, and that causes the vibration. It may be that flexibility in the tyre offsets some of the problem and allows a rounder rolling surface, except when the tyre is cold or after some hard cornering when the tyre is subjected to lateral deformation - the times the vibration is more noticable are when the car is cold and after hard acceleration out of tight corners.

I really should get the car into the dealers, as I have a couple of other little things need looking at. It'll give me a chance to have a go in the V8 diesel A8 I've been promising myself a play in...